Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,086 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Monmouth County to be near my family. Since Holmdel has great schools, I have some specific question about the town.

1. Sense of Community. We now live in a very community oriented town (Garden City, NY) and would like to have the same experience if we move to NJ. Does Holmdel have a strong sense of community? It is hard to define, but some examples would be: everyone goes to the town pool, fairs, fundraisers, kids playing outside, lots of clubs, etc.

2. How easy will it be for us to fit in? I do try to get involved and I have two children that would be going to elementary school. (We are concerned that most people that move there before their kids start elementary and have already made their friends.)

3. Are there some streets/sections that have more elementary school kids than others.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnS5 View Post
I would like to move to Monmouth County to be near my family. Since Holmdel has great schools, I have some specific question about the town.

1. Sense of Community. We now live in a very community oriented town (Garden City, NY) and would like to have the same experience if we move to NJ. Does Holmdel have a strong sense of community? It is hard to define, but some examples would be: everyone goes to the town pool, fairs, fundraisers, kids playing outside, lots of clubs, etc.

2. How easy will it be for us to fit in? I do try to get involved and I have two children that would be going to elementary school. (We are concerned that most people that move there before their kids start elementary and have already made their friends.)

3. Are there some streets/sections that have more elementary school kids than others.

Thank you!
1. Dont rule out Middletown! Has some of the best school systems either public or private and is a great community to live in. There is something always going on in the community whether is be Middletown Day, St Marys Fair, Middletown Pool Club, you will always see kids playing outside, good amount of restaurants and bars to enjoy yourself at night, close to the beach and all major sources of transportation!

2. I went to school from elementary all the way up to college here in Middletown and couldnt have asked for a better experience! The elementary schools are realllly good and still remain in contact with a lot of my friends from my elementary school because most of them continue to same schools. As far as fitting in you couldnt ask for a better town. All you have to do is walk around and ask the people who live here and they will tell you!

3. There are some sections in Middletown that are more popular than others but you will find that anywhere you move to. Harmony, Fairview, New Monmouth, Lincroft, Middletown Village, and River Plaza are some of the great elementary schools you will find here in Middletown.

** Feel free to ask me anymore information about Middletown or any other towns you might have in mind!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 15,310 times
I'm originally from Holmdel and have to agree with the above on Middletown. I personally feel that Holmdel does not have a strong sense of community and Middletown has more of a feel. Two of my siblings live there with their families and have had very positive experiences. One of them is in the Oak Hill section which is nice. One set back is that many of the children that go to Nut Swamp elementary are not bused and parents have to drive them. This can be a pain and inconvenient, especially if you work. Something to think about. Feel free to ask me any questions and I'm more than happy to get answers for you (if i don't have them myself)
Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM

30 posts, read 105,492 times
What is "Laurel Greene". We found something in here with schools listed as NutSwamp, Thompson & Middle South. They are highly rated on greatschools.org. Does Middletown have decent Asian population ? How is the commute to NYC (Penn or PA). Thanks!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
What is "Laurel Greene". We found something in here with schools listed as NutSwamp, Thompson & Middle South. They are highly rated on greatschools.org. Does Middletown have decent Asian population ? How is the commute to NYC (Penn or PA). Thanks!

Laurel Green is a townhouse community here in Middletown that currently has 3 units for sale ranging from $424,000-439,000 and 1 annual rental for $2,500 a month. It is close to all major sources of transportation being about 5-10 mins to parkway, 10-15 to sea streak, or new york waterway. Takes about 5-10 mins to get the train and once there from Middletown to Penn Station New York is about 1-1.5 hours. Have you ever been to in any of the townhomes in Laurel Greene!!?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
i dont know about middletown but there are a lot of asians in holmdel and laurel green borders holmdel. middletown is a very big town with differences between different areas of the town.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 10,027 times
Smile Did you ever move to Holmdel? Holmdel residents read!

Wondering if you ever moved to Holmdel and if you are happy? We live in NJ and are considering buying in Holmdel. I was wondering if all the residents of the town all get a long. I live from a town where there is cultural diversity. Problem is more like a cultural divide. I want to be able to get a long with all the residents and want my boys to have lots of friends. I know this high school is ranked well. I also want the kids to be able to play and not be studying all the time. We want neighbors that are friendly and have barbeques. When we moved in to our current NJ town 4 years ago none of the neighbors rang our door and said hi. We still do not know them or their names. I find that sad and do not want to move to have a similar experience.

Any responses would be "Greatly Appreciated"!

Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Nobody rang your doorbell and said hi when you moved in? That would creep me the hell out if someone did that to me. If I wanna know you, I'll know you, other than that stay outta my business.

If it matters that much to you, why not ring their doorbells and say hi?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
If it matters that much to you, why not ring their doorbells and say hi?
yeah, if you really wanted to meet people then you should have rang their doorbells. if you just see someone outside you can always strike up a conversation. people rarely talk to me though because im walking my dog and she looks like she is about to kill whoever comes near us.

weekend, what makes you think you are holmdel material?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I'm with brokenaperture. If someone rang my doorbell when I just moved in and said they wanted to say "hi" and introduce themselves, I'd immediately suspect that they were fishing for gossip material.

Usually you meet your neighbors naturally by saying hello when out in your yard or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey