Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently decided to leave Orlando and move closer to his family in Plainfield. I've never been there, but he would like to live in either Somerset or Franklin.

My dilemma is I'm trying to find out how to obtain my teaching certification and also see the salary scale for each of those places but can't seem to find the websites...can anyone direct me to the right place? Franklin High School looks like it might be a great school...so I'm particularly interested in that one.

Also if anyone can tell me about the cities...my husband just says I'll like them but a little more specificities would be nice, I'm a little afraid of moving up North since I've been born and raised in Florida. The North always seemed so busy and big and scary....

These are the things that are important to me
*Good public schools - I'll be teaching and my son will eventually attend one.
*Affordable rental - $850 is the maximum for an apartment
*Within reasonable distance of Wal-Mart, shopping malls, movie theater and restaurants.
*Friendly neighborhood with nearby parks and places where my family can walk, bike, play outside.
*Lots of community involvement and activities.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 333,073 times
New Egypt might be for you.
The school district is good, the benefits are great. The community is small and friendly, locals owning most if not all buisnesses.
I believe you can get an apt for 850 or less there. Ive seen some for 700.
Local shopping in hamilton and freehold, both about 30 minutes away, New Egypt has a lot of country in it.

hope that helps. I know family who lives there, and works at the school, and they love it.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
There are a lot of really good schools in NJ so if you find a town you are comfortable in then I'm sure the schools will be fine. NJ pay scale for first year teachers range from about $40K - $50k. This is quite a difference from FL (my brother lives in Fort Lauderdale and would love for me to move there but the teacher salaries are really low). Getting certified info can be found on our state website the link is NJ Department of Education - Licensure & Credentials it is under lincensure and credentials. If you are already a teacher the process is different than if you are a college grad looking to become a teacher. This website should help you.

Since our state is so small you will find that you will always be a reasonable distance to everything you are looking for as well as being close to all the wonderful things Philadelphia, New York City, Washington DC and Boston have to offer. Beaches in the summer and skiing in the winter. Changing of leaves in the fall. Don't be scared. NJ is a wonderful place if you look for all of the wonderful things we have to offer.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,381 times
Default Teaching position

Hi,
Change, as you know, is fraught with the unknown but can also be very rewarding and surprising.
Franklin & Somerset neighborhoods are a part of Somerset County. Franklin is a large school system spread over many miles. The High School is only 2years old-an inner city school now located in a suburban setting. You may also want to look at Bridgewater-Raritan School system (pay scale is rather high) and is close to Somerset & Franklin.
No problem with shopping. Wall-Mart is in Manville- a few minutes from Franklin High School. The Bridgewater Commons (shopping mall) and numerous mini-malls are located close by.
Rents are a problem. You may be able to get a very small apartment for that rent-but don't count on it.
Contact The New Jersey Department of Education website regarding teacher certification requirements.
Good luck.
Jerseylady

Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 AM

38 posts, read 266,807 times
Quote:
Also if anyone can tell me about the cities...my husband just says I'll like them but a little more specificities would be nice, I'm a little afraid of moving up North since I've been born and raised in Florida. The North always seemed so busy and big and scary....
Thanks so much.
It's definitely going to be busier then what you are accustomed to, in all likelihood. So just be prepared for that; but you'll adjust..and it's not exactly NYC.

The area you are looking at has plenty of shopping and what not around it - trust me, you won't have to worry much about finding a good place to eat, places to shop...that should be the least of your concerns, as you'll find anything and everything.

I would suggest a drive through in Franklin/Somerset, though. Somerset is probably more desirable...but both sections have their good and bad.

It may take awhile to find an apt in a good section of town at the price you want; may have to start a bit small to get that accomplished; or be willing to go a bit higher with the rent....

Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
I moved here from the South as a teacher a few years ago, so I wish you all the best in your move. You'll find the kids a little different here, I'm sure.

Depending on your certification, as it is in many places, getting a teaching job can be tricky in NJ. I wouldn't limit myself to the two districts you mentioned. Once you decide specifically where you're living, you should consider applying in every district hiring in your field within a one hour commute.

Does Florida require the Praxis? If not, that needs to be you first to-do item.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

145 posts, read 435,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I moved here from the South as a teacher a few years ago, so I wish you all the best in your move. You'll find the kids a little different here, I'm sure.

Depending on your certification, as it is in many places, getting a teaching job can be tricky in NJ. I wouldn't limit myself to the two districts you mentioned. Once you decide specifically where you're living, you should consider applying in every district hiring in your field within a one hour commute.

Does Florida require the Praxis? If not, that needs to be you first to-do item.
Can you provide me with a link to find employment in NJ?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
njhire.com

schooldigger.com has good info as does greatschools.net

New Jersey Teacher Salary - Salary Information in New Jersey

While salries average in upper 40 range, that takes into account starting salaries in the 30's and teachers with more experience earning in the 50-60 range. Urban schools usually pay more. Where I live new teachers start upper 30s.
If I find the website that lists the salaries (by teacher), I'll post it.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Thanks for posting those links. I was planning on doing some more research on the schools and then calling the actual school boards to talk to recruiters. It seems like online they have tons and tons of teaching jobs available but I've heard several people say that teaching jobs are not easy to come by. Which makes me a little nervous, I don't want to move and have the same problem I have here; too many teachers - not enough schools. If anyone could tell me what they think the best route would be to pursue a teaching job?

I've already made plans to take the Praxis early next year (cause I''ll def need to study for that one - the online practice test took me back to SAT days), and thanks to other comments I realized that unlike FL you're not really stuck in the county you live in. My family lives in S. Jersey, and my aunt is begging me to reside in Somerset near them, But my Uncle said he thinks I'll like Central Jersey better.

I've heard some decent things about Bridgwater. The school starts 1st year teachers out in the low $40's and the school was ranked pretty high among the state. How are the rentals...anybody have any insider input to share on the area? I early said I'd hate to live in the country, and I consider anything not within a 30 minute drive of a super wal-mart country but it looks like I can ride through the whole state of Jersey in a day....okay someone just tell me where to live and I'm packing my bags! I'm excited and tired of looking lol

Last edited by nat_at772; 10-11-2007 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
You can definitely ride the NJ in a day. More like 3 1/2 hours from end to end. I just posted to another FL person looking to move to NJ as a teacher and the one thing I said is if you can substitute in a couple of districts this can often lead to a teaching job. Principals will often hire people this way.

I can give you hint on the Praxis if your taking Core Content or general knowledge (I forgot what they call it). At least 2 years ago when I took it I looked at a 5th grade History text. I went through and familiarized myself with timelines and key historical figures and events that were in the text. Then I used those thin math basics study guides you get in the bookstore. Reminding myself about whole numbers, integers, mean, median....etc. They really helped me.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey