Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Maybe if the Police UNION did not demand such high pay, we might have some law and order. Typical union behavior, just out for themselves. Again, I have no remorse for these layoffs. Cant have your cake and eat it too. See ya!
IMHO the problem is the police and fire union gets a lot dues paid for the high salaries the teachers get and the sheriffs/CO's get. It's not just and only the police. The police make a lot less than the teachers, sheriffs, correction officers do. That's the problem. At least the police are willing to put their lives on the line for the public that's a hell of a lot more than I could say for the teachers and co's. Although the CO's and sheriffs do have dangerous jobs ...just not nearly as dangerous as the police do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
IMHO the problem is the police and fire union gets a lot dues paid for the high salaries the teachers get and the sheriffs/CO's get. It's not just and only the police. The police make a lot less than the teachers, sheriffs, correction officers do. That's the problem. At least the police are willing to put their lives on the line for the public that's a hell of a lot more than I could say for the teachers and co's. Although the CO's and sheriffs do have dangerous jobs ...just not nearly as dangerous as the police do.

Teachers make more then cops? What state do you live in? Thats a flat out lie or misinformation.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Funny you should say that because the police in NJ did offer compromises whereas the teachers flat out refused to offer any compromise at all.

Really? So you are saying that no teachers union compromised? Look around the state and look at contracts. I know for a fact New Brunswick froze steps for 2 years. So a person who is step one will remain on step one for 3 years essentially? By reading your post you are really really off on 100% of your information. Read a little bit before you post nonsense.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Really? So you are saying that no teachers union compromised? Look around the state and look at contracts. I know for a fact New Brunswick froze steps for 2 years. So a person who is step one will remain on step one for 3 years essentially? By reading your post you are really really off on 100% of your information. Read a little bit before you post nonsense.
those concessions are a joke. they need to make serious CUTS in order to bring them to reality. they also need to eliminate their defined benefit pensions completely (not just for new hires).

police are paid too much as are teachers. cut their salaries and benefits and you could end up with a greater presence. but with government managing things, they wouldnt do much anyway.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
those concessions are a joke. they need to make serious CUTS in order to bring them to reality. they also need to eliminate their defined benefit pensions completely (not just for new hires).

police are paid too much as are teachers. cut their salaries and benefits and you could end up with a greater presence. but with government managing things, they wouldnt do much anyway.
Teachers aren't paided that much and neither are city cops.....the heads of the unions are and Suburban cops.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Teachers aren't paided that much and neither are city cops.....the heads of the unions are and Suburban cops.
im not sure what "that much" means but if you compare equal jobs in the private sector you will find the pay and benefits of teachers and cops are more than double.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
im not sure what "that much" means but if you compare equal jobs in the private sector you will find the pay and benefits of teachers and cops are more than double.

Honestly your views come through the political prism and you cant see past that. I am sorry if a teacher or cop did something to you but please dont take it out on the rest of them. If those gigs are soo great you should have made better choices and tried your hand at them.
Actually I know your answer already. You are doing much better then teachers and cops and you would never take such a low standing job.

I do love your posts they make me more liberal every time I read them.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I feel so bad that you chose the wrong career path. Better choices should be made in your next life. Let me guess the goverment does nothing right? Good stuff Rush Jr.

All of that aside Happy Holidays. Oops sorry for you I mean Merry CHRISTmas. I made sure to keep the CHRIST in it only for you.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Honestly your views come through the political prism and you cant see past that. I am sorry if a teacher or cop did something to you but please dont take it out on the rest of them. If those gigs are soo great you should have made better choices and tried your hand at them.
Actually I know your answer already. You are doing much better then teachers and cops and you would never take such a low standing job.

I do love your posts they make me more liberal every time I read them.
political prism? just look at the numbers. ill find a link for you. your disagreement with me is purely political, there is no doubt i am right based just on the numbers.

found these real fast, can do better with more time. the reality is that public emloyees are vastly overcompensated, much of that are benefits that private sector employees couldnt dream of getting. (retirement in their 50's with large pensions, health care for life, etc. etc. etc.)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...210295246.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...210295246.html

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_repo...cpr31n6-5.html

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-25-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 05:24 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Crime is way down in Newark. They should have more layoffs. Cut the Newark Police force by 33 percent. The city can save a bundle this way. Newark is a very safe city and all these cops are not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey