Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times

Advertisements

Lucky you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times
Well, probably best to provide some background. I grew up in Jersey city and spoent my first 27 years living in Jersey City, Floraham Park, and Parsippany. Growing up in New Jersey in the 60's-70's was the best and I would not have changed a thing. In 1981 i moved to Philadelphia, lot like Jersey, than to Richmond in 1983. First taste of the South and learned to live with people who operate at different pace than the NorthEast. 2 years later I moved to Atlanta and loved Atlanta. City was great, everything was new, and people from all over. I next moved to Chicago for 5 years and got inteoduced to the Mid-West lifestyle. Loved Chicago except from Nov-April. Very cold out there!!!! Beautiful city though. After 5 years i moved to Charlotte for 20 years and realized the South has everything we were looking for. Decent cost of living, great weather, friendly people, 300 days of Sunshine. Strangers treat strangers with dual respect, and people tend to Smile when they walk around.
I was forced to move back to New Jersey 3 years ago and I honestly don't know how a young couple could ever save to buy their first house with the prices and taxes one has to pay to live in NJ. I commute from Monmouth County to Wall Street and pay 640.00 a month for the Ferry. Crazy!!
After living in the Sunny south even though a hard core northerner i prefer 300 days of sunshine and moderate winters.

Everything in New Jersey seems "Old". I prefer newer Real Estate Construction (under a million dollars), Cleaner cities, not like my old home town Jersey City and Newark and Patterson and the list goes on and on.

I am by no way a Jersey Basher, i was born here and have great memories. I just think if i had a choice I would have preferred to stay in the Carolinas or for you I think you should stay in Atlanta.

Theres a old saying that "one can never go back" and there is some truth to that statement. Nothing will be like it was when i grew up here in the 60's and 70's up to 1981.

This is just my opinion and i am sure others will disagree.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM

183 posts, read 1,263,572 times
Biscman:

I understand your reasons for not liking the move back to Jersey. I am 46 and grew up in Jersey also. My husband and I moved to Florida 22 years ago and raised are family here. Every other family member is in NJ and NY. We are excited about moving back to NJ but are nervous about the things that you stated. We go home 2x a year and we do notice the change in Jersey. Everything in Florida is new the sun is always shinning and the weather although is HOT its nice to be outdoors. We have 2 children in college who will be staying here and our younger 2 will be coming with us. The economy is not very good in Florida (everywhere its pretty bad) but my husband was offered a good opportunity for a job in Jersey and it will let us be close to our parents who are aging. Who knows we may only last a couple of years back home but atleast we tried. My younger children are not to thrilled because they have never lived there. They think everything in Jersey is old and the bumps in the road give them a headache! lol I fear I may have the same issues that you are having with living there. I guess time will tell.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Reply to biscman
I have to agree, even though we are new to the South we know this is where we want to enjoy our retirement. NJ is just not the NJ that I enjoyed for at least 50 of my 66 years. I will go back to visit and to enjoy some of the food that is not yet available in NC but I can never see myself living back there.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 47,478 times
The post about southerners being in everyones business is absolutely dead on. I moved from Tx to NJ in 03 then moved back to Tx in 09 and it still hasn't changed here. Everything in the south is at least 20 years behind. I am moving back to NJ in March and absolutely can not wait!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arica22 View Post
The post about southerners being in everyones business is absolutely dead on. I moved from Tx to NJ in 03 then moved back to Tx in 09 and it still hasn't changed here. Everything in the south is at least 20 years behind. I am moving back to NJ in March and absolutely can not wait!!!
"20 years behind" what, exactly???

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
"20 years behind" what, exactly???
That's just euphemism for "backwards."

Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 AM

Hey Arica22,
Being in others peoples business has nothing to do with the South, it has to do with a persons makeup. After the first month we moved to New Jersey we have this woman who lives across the street from us who my wife and I have not even met at the time decides to call the police on us because we mistakenly left one of our cars parked on the street in front of our house next to the driveway. We were not aware we had to call the police in the event we wanted to park a car on the street overnight in Tinton Falls. The Policeman knocked on our door on a Sunday morning at 9 am and actually apoligized to us that he had to do his job and tell us but even he couldn't believe the call they got.

Message here is theres tons of people who like to get into others business because they are just nosy and have nothing else to do with their lifes.

Go figure!!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM

PDD-What part of NC did you move too?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 AM

82 posts, read 250,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestgal View Post
Greetings Everyone!

After a 21 years, I will be moving back to my beloved New Jersey, next summer! I am beyond excited. I lived in Edison, from ages 8-15, and then my family (My parents, and myself) moved to Atlanta. To say that I am ready to leave is an understatement.

I will be attending school next fall in SoHo (The Make-up Designory), and my cousin and I will be living in New Jersey. Right now he works in Totowa, and lives in Englewood, so understandably, he wants to stay within a reasonable commute to work.

My cousin has asked me to look in Passiac, Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne and Secaucus, to name a few cities. We need a 2 bedroom obviously, and we can share a bathroom. Everything that is decent is well over $1300 per month. The times, oh how they have changed! Is there anyplace that is close to where he works, and currently lives, that is decent, and I won't get raped or shot. Seeing as I will be going to school and working in Manhattan, I would like a reasonable train commute. Please be honest with me. I can take it!

Thanks everyone!!!
I would highly suggest Lyndhurst. You can catch not only Transit trains and buses direct to NYC in Port Authority in walking distance. Its safe a fairly economical. I lived there almost 25 years since moving to ATL 3 years ago. Pls email me if you wish specifics. Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey