U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,493 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be working right next to Penn Station in August. I need to know what are good yet lively areas that I can live in. I am looking for a place that is has enough entertainment and isn't boring. I want to know of places that I can catch the Train from that would land me at Penn Station, Neward.

I was thinking about Jersey City, Hoboken, New Brunswick etc. I am not familiar with the area. I would appreciate any help. I am moving there soon and have no idea of what New Jersey is like.

I have been advised against living in downtown Newark because of safety issues.

Thank you for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

511 posts, read 1,605,033 times
Depends on how much you want to spend:

Montclair
Summit
Hoboken
Morristown
Jersey City

New Brunswick would be too far.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 PM

13,111 posts, read 25,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Depends on how much you want to spend:

Montclair
Summit
Hoboken
Morristown
Jersey City

New Brunswick would be too far.
That's about it..all have trains into Newark
Need to watch out for certain areas of Jersey City as well
Should be fine in Hoboken & Morristown but rents are pricey

I personally do not know to much about Summit

Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 43,848 times
i sent u a PM

Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,493 times
Thank you for the speedy responses.

My range is anywhere between $600-1100 for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. I want to live in a safe area with a lot of entertainment, which is no more than a few blocks from a train station.

I appreciate your help.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:03 PM

I have a place in lyndhurst, its a suburb right outside JC and Hoboken. its a safe, clean and has great transportation to go ANYWHERE.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 PM

13,111 posts, read 25,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalStudent View Post
Thank you for the speedy responses.

My range is anywhere between $600-1100 for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. I want to live in a safe area with a lot of entertainment, which is no more than a few blocks from a train station.

I appreciate your help.
I'd concentrate on Morristown or Hoboken then
Newspaper for Hudson County ( Hoboken) is the Jersey Journal:
NJ.com: Everything Jersey

All though for Hoboken you may have to go through a realtor..don't see to many listings

Morristown is the Daily Record:
Welcome to www.dailyrecord.com - Morris County, New Jersey

Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM

here is the map of the place loc: 276 Oriental Pl. at Stuyvesant Ave. Lyndhurst NJ US - Google Maps

Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,173 times
Default ironbound newark

I'm a transplant and i have been living in the ironbound now for two years and i like it lot. as long as you live in the ironbound between ferry street and south street its pretty safe. I haven't had any problems i'm a girl and i walk back and forth to law school and the train everyday and it hasn't been a problem. Lots of portugese resturants and bars in the neighborhood. and housing is cheap. good luck

Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM

209 posts, read 1,597,979 times
Keep in mind if you end up in Morristown or Summit (both very nice btw) you would take the train into Newark Broad Street station and would have to take the light rail from there to get to Newark Penn.

Downtown Jersey City would be best among the choices for a commute (since you can take the PATH right to Newark Penn), and Hoboken wouldn't be too bad either except you'd have to transfer from one PATH line to another.

You also might want ti factor in transit costs when looking for a place. Monthly NJ Transit passes can get expensive, while the PATH costs $1.20 each way with a QuickCard or the 20% MTA MetroCard bonus. So the $250 in rent you might save living a bit further out might get eaten up by transit costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or