U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 30,735 times

Advertisements

currently we live in brooklyn, we both work in the city (midtown). we have 2 small kids (5 and 3 years old) looking for a commute within an hour and 15 minutes.
anyone commute to the city from east brunswick? any feedback would be appreciated. thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,507,099 times
A friend of mine's husband made this commute and I believe he did it within that time frame.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:56 PM

4,844 posts, read 9,993,923 times
A friend of mine lived in New Brunswick and it took him a little over an hour to get into the city taking the train, but it was closer to 1.5 hours door to door (he works for one of those large law firms in Manhattan). BTW, my sister has a daughter entering kindergarten and she just purchased a new home in East Brunswick -- mainly for the school district. I think it's worth it to move from Brooklyn if you have kids entering school age!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM

thank you both for your replies.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM

39 posts, read 156,211 times
I grew up in East Brunswick and had family that commuted to NYC. There are 3 local bus stops that I know of that bring you into the city (could be more) and relatively you should get there within that time frame. I do know that they complained about having to deal with delays due to bad weather/accidents on the turnpike. The train from New Brunswick is 45 minutes if you catch the express or about an hour otherwise.

I went to private school but I went to the public school for junior high and high school and I have to agree from my experience there, it really is a good school system. I felt alot better prepared than some of my classmates in college.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM

687 posts, read 3,005,479 times
EB is fantastic. The schools are top notch, and it is all and all, easily among the nicest towns in central NJ.

The commute, however, would likely be a bit longer than 1 hr. 15. IMO, it would be worth it though. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 44,201 times
I have lived with my wife and our son in East Brunswick for the past 12 years. We moved from Brooklyn when our child was 6 months old.

For the first 2 1/2 years I commuted to Wall Street, and did a bit of commuting in '05 & '06, so I can tell you that not much has changed other than the cost. From EB, the only reasonable way to commute is by bus (Suburban Transit) - you would park at either Neilsen Plaza (aka "Tower Center") or Transportation Center. Daily parking at both is $4, and you can get a monthly permit which is much cheaper - BUT there is a waiting list of around a year or more for those permits. Buses run to midtown Manhattan (Port Authority mostly, through the Lincoln Tunnel) and downtown (Holland Tunnel) - the midtown bus typically gets you to PA in an hour, while the downtown bus takes longer.

Taking a train from New Brunswick really isn't an option - traffic going into NB in the morning is completely insane, parking is more expensive, and the NJ Transit trains are crowded and more expensive than the bus. From EB to NYC, stick with the bus. NJT also runs some buses to Jersey City which have pickup points in EB.

(BTW I changed jobs to work in NJ because the Wall Street hours combined with the commute meant that I saw my son very little during those years. I was very unhappy with that, and took a little less money to work closer to home instead, which improved our quality of life a lot, even if it meant living with a little less money).

The primary reason we moved to EB was the schools, and we have not been dissapointed. The buildings themselves are getting pretty old, but some of them are being renovated now, and the rest are slated to be renovated a couple of years from now. The middle school is being completely rebuilt. Real estate taxes have gone up a bit as a result, but the taxes here overall seem to be a little lower then many other desireable locations in NJ. The citizens have voted down the school budget several times in recent years, so we parents now pay more for things like before care and extracurricular activites than we did in the past.

The teachers have been pretty good, but the main reason the schools are so good is because the families who live here really take education seriously. This is a pretty diverse community, and like us, our many friends and neighbors in EB hold our children to high academic standards.

If I had to gripe about anything in EB, it would be the traffic on Route 18 and the lack of a real downtown. It would be nice if we had a real center of town, like in Morristown or Freehold, for example. There is a large and somewhat controversial "Golden Triangle" plan which has been approved and is being carried out over the next decade which will create a center of town where the Transportation Center is on Route 18. Citizens like the idea but are afraid of even more congestion on Route 18. We hope for the best...

I hope this is helpful info!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyHorn View Post
For the first 2 1/2 years I commuted to Wall Street, and did a bit of commuting in '05 & '06, so I can tell you that not much has changed other than the cost. From EB, the only reasonable way to commute is by bus (Suburban Transit) - you would park at either Neilsen Plaza (aka "Tower Center") or Transportation Center. Daily parking at both is $4, and you can get a monthly permit which is much cheaper - BUT there is a waiting list of around a year or more for those permits. Buses run to midtown Manhattan (Port Authority mostly, through the Lincoln Tunnel) and downtown (Holland Tunnel) - the midtown bus typically gets you to PA in an hour, while the downtown bus takes longer.

Taking a train from New Brunswick really isn't an option - traffic going into NB in the morning is completely insane, parking is more expensive, and the NJ Transit trains are crowded and more expensive than the bus. From EB to NYC, stick with the bus. NJT also runs some buses to Jersey City which have pickup points in EB.

I hope this is helpful info!
thank you so much for the information. i have a few questions, keep in mind i don't know anything about nj, only what people are telling me.
my co-worker said i can take a train from east brunswick, which on the nj transit site it's listed as jersey ave or i could drive to edison (which he said is about a 10 minute drive) get free parking and then jump on the train from there. is this true? i am so confused! i think we have been looking all over nj.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,507,099 times
There is no train in East Brunswick, it's in New Brunswick. And it is a 10 minute drive to Edison IF there is no traffic. I live in South River, and before that Old Bridge-both towns that border EB, and work in Edison. If the traffic is bad b/c of an accident, weather, or just run of the mill Rt. 18 slow downs it would sometimes take me 45 minutes to get to Edison. You can't bank on that 10 minute drive to catch the Edison train. That said, if you still wanted to give it a try-you could jump on the Turnpike in EB and take that to Edison. I think that is the quickest way there in the AM.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,549,494 times
Lightbulb The bus too

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
There is no train in East Brunswick, it's in New Brunswick. And it is a 10 minute drive to Edison IF there is no traffic. I live in South River, and before that Old Bridge-both towns that border EB, and work in Edison. If the traffic is bad b/c of an accident, weather, or just run of the mill Rt. 18 slow downs it would sometimes take me 45 minutes to get to Edison. You can't bank on that 10 minute drive to catch the Edison train. That said, if you still wanted to give it a try-you could jump on the Turnpike in EB and take that to Edison. I think that is the quickest way there in the AM.
Regarese is correct ! Then there's always the bus route. ?
IMO: South River is at Exit 9. It's a hidden jewel in Middlesex County. Very low taxes - Small town feel is Mayberryish. Lots of bus stops. Walk to the Portugese restaurants. Many many nice homes for sale under 350k (feel free to PM me if you are interested in a totally renovated 3 bdrm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or