Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM

21 posts, read 25,768 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I was wondering if you guys can help me out. My parents and I we are going to spend like four hours in Newark airport, we're headed to Madrid. At the very first time I thought that four hours could be enough for me to make it to New York even for just an hour, I've been surfing through all these Trip Advisor forums and they confirmed that this idea I had was simply ludicrous.

That said, I've been thinking, would it be possible to make it to Hoboken?, I found out that the place seems to have breathtaking views over the Hudson. As far as I know, I'd have to take the Airtrain to Newark Penn Station and then I should be taking an outbound train to Hoboken, is that accurate? also, do you guys know if that locus is safe?

I called Lufthansa already and they told me that we don't have to re-check our luggage which was weird because I've been warned that authorities command all passengers to grab their luggage and re-check it. For full disclosure, we're going to be arriving at 15:48 and our flight for Europe is set for 20:15 on Thursday 5th of January. What do you guys think?, it would be awesome to make it there since I'd still have the daylight, anything you might tell me about this, let me know.

I well appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'd take a cab to Hoboken, look at Manhattan, then walk a few blocks and get something to eat. I'd then take Uber back to the airport earlier than I probably had to.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
I'd take an Uber both ways. I've travelled in and out of EWR quite a bit and have no issues getting Uber.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:48 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
You will still need to go through security upon re-entering the airport. It's tight. I personally wouldn't dare try it.

Here is the timeline as I see it:
- You are getting out of the airport will be the start of rush hour (~assuming you get on your taxi/uber at 4:30pm). The 1&9/440 route is pretty congested but say instead of going to Hoboken you go to Liberty State Park which still has breathtaking views so a bit faster. You may dropped off ~5:10pm.
- You are definitely hitting rush traffic on your way back. (~assuming you leave 1 hour for security, which is super bold since you are boarding international flight, you need to arrive no later than 7pm, which means you probably leave the park by 6, 6:15 latest?)

It leaves you 1 hour in the park. Why do I recommend the park instead of downtown JC or Hoboken? bc it's right next to I-78 entrance so you can bypass SO much traffic and get straight on the highway. I work/live in the area, and it takes me 16 minutes just to get from Newport area (right below Hoboken) to 1&9 on the West Side at 5:30. And if you don't have an aggressive driver who knows local roads, could easily take you 25 minutes just to go those 2.2 miles.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
It will be dark by the time they get out of the airport.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/newark

UAL and Lufthansa are code share partners, you should be able to check the bags all they way thru. (On Return, the bags will be tagged all they way, but they will be offloaded, they go thru customs with them, and then hand them back to UAL at the bag re-check just outside of customs.

Sorry to say that 4 hours is not enough time to really do anything. (They also have to drag there carry on's with them).

Arrive @ 15:48 (If they are on time)
+20 to get off plane = 16:08
+10 Airport Bathroom Stop = 16:18
+15 Get to Airtrain = 16:23
+20 Airtrain to NJTrainsit/Amtrak Station = 16:43
+5 EWR/Train dwell TIme = 16:52
+10 Train to Newark Penn Station = 17:02
You get the idea.

20:15 depart
19:30 Board
19:15 Walk to gate
18:00 Get in line for Security
(Eat Dinner somewhere in this time)

At most they would have a few minutes to Look at NY skyline.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM

But what if I take trains instead of cabs?, cheaper, faster, all scheduled...?

OK, well... maybe next time

Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Boy, I want to tell you to try it, I really do, but I do have to agree that your time spent in Liberty City Park right along the waterfront is better spent, there's at least the WTC Memorial there, you can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island much more closely and definitely a lot closer to the airport and less concern about some accident on I-78 making you miss your flight.

Uber, definitely on both sides, just so someone can make it to where you are in the park to come get you.

You'll have to try for Manhattan some time where you have six hours. It's generally an hour from my desk to EWR and even with PreCheck it's still sometimes 20 minutes in the security line, non-PreCheck can be 60-90 minutes depending on the terminal. The place simply wasn't designed for such heightened security and has limited scanners and TSA employees.

Don't count on too much daylight by the way, sunset is 16:43 on the 5th.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Have them try for window seats on the Left Side of the plane,

They might get a nice view of NYC on Landing/Take off, and
on climb out the turn should also give nice view, if the weather permits.

The prevailing winds in January make runway 22 the Preferred runway.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Well... it seems reckless to do that then. We Spaniards are accustomed to have daylight until 18:00 in winter... besides, I don't want to take the risk of going to a park at night and getting lost afterwards, also the UBER thing makes everything a little bit more expensive. Well, I should be spending all the time indoors then, my parents will be relieved. I well appreciate your help guys!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
If we had a great public transit system I'd totally recommend it to you. I did 4 hours in Amsterdam once and was able to make it there and back again because the train runs on schedule and is reliable.

Airtrain is 15 minutes to get to the train station and then Amtrak is your fastest bet, but if an Uber to the park and back (probably about $20) is too expensive, a one way ticket from EWR to Penn Station is going to be too much ($28). So the issue is really about making sure that traffic on the interstate doesn't get snarled up during rush hour the first week back at work for people. If it snows all bets are out the window.

Again, if you had six hours I'd plan out an itinerary for you and everything, four is just not worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey