U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 PM

39 posts, read 156,189 times

Advertisements

Ok I've been searching for an apartment in the North Jersey area with a close commute to NYC. I saw an add on craigslist about pre-renting out apartments in the Colleoni Building in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Newark [mention of the Lincoln Park Coast Cultural District and all the great things they're developing]. Apartments look pretty big and price range $1100 through $1400. The address given is 39 Lincoln Park at Broad St. Does anyone know if this area is actually safe and livable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM

2,827 posts, read 5,478,087 times
It depends on what you consider safe. It borders a bad neighborhood and even though there are new developments you'd be pioneering as I wouldn't quite call it safe (I'll say this: its still waaay better than it was). Good luck though

Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM

39 posts, read 156,189 times
thanks for the reply. any other feedback from anyone?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:21 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,611,890 times
I never was a real fan of Newark due to the higher crime rate and the urban feel.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 64,270 times
Sharpe James was the Mayor and Newark was horrible.
Corey Booker is the new Mayor and Newark is a death trap.

Newark is a great city to work in, but at 5:00 when you get off work, get on the highway and leave!!!

Take it from someone who knows from experience.

They're building so much affordable housing, dorms, campuses, then you have the arena, NJ PAC, Baseball stadium, etc., but until the crime is SERIOUSLY addressed don't move to Newark. They need to get the message. Your new councilwoman, Dana Rose will actually be your neighbor if you move in this area. She lives around the corner, but again, sits on her butt and is more occupied in hiring her criminal colleagues and is also more concerned in saying "why did I get a parking ticket...do you know who I am? I'm Dana Rone" . . .SHE DOES NOTHING FOR THE CITY.

I saw Corey Booker and his entourage a few days ago at City Hall and I wanted to pop him in the back of the head and say "what are you doing!!!" it's horrible in Newark and ZERO progress has been made with regards to crime. Unfortunately he stands about 6 4 tall and easily weighs 240 pounds. He's scary.

City workers are being laid off, summer programs for these teenage kids are disappearing, = more crime = more crime . . .and all I can see him doing is chasing after Sharpe James trying to get him indicted.

Anyhow, please think it over carefully. While the amenities of living in a big city and college town are appealing, have a selfish attitude and say to yourself, HE>>>>> NO!!!!

to answer your question.....
Lincoln Park and Broad Street is in the downtown area of Newark. You are close to every major highway. In that area you are within walking distance to City Hall, Symphony Hall, Banks, A pizza and chicken joint across the street, an infamous liquor store and barber shop two blocks down. You have a homeless hotel two blocks up, and this area is the home of the rehab patients. In the morning the ex-drug addicts, ex-alcoholics, etc., about 60 of them, take their daily walk around the park as part of their program. At the same time, the homeless people are packing up their belongings because they can't stay in that park during the day hours. So if you're out, have spare change and hand sanitizer cause they'll ask you for money. Then you have your senior citizens buildings surrounding you - with the seniors selling marijuana for pain in front of the building (don't laugh...it's true!)....or waiting for the daily bus to Atlantic City......and if you leave out early enough, you'll miss the daily road block by the Newark cops aka self-made GODS stuck on their high horses- for seat belts and cell phone usage as Lincoln Park is a one way street.

See for yourself. Go by and just park your car about 7:00am during the week and go back around 7pm. Just sit in your car and observe. Some people can deal with it - some are more tolerant than others - some are more immune than others. This is just my opinion, but you may like the area - which for Newark is very expensive and surprisingly prosperous.

Last edited by 6tttttt; 07-13-2007 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM

Crime in Newark is still a major issue but...:

WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Newark Crime Down 20 Percent in '07

Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,205,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Crime in Newark is still a major issue but...:

WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Newark Crime Down 20 Percent in '07
More stat fudging + shrinking population.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
More stat fudging + shrinking population.
Newark Rises, but Not Like Phoenix - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,986,065 times
Moved to 1180 2 weeks ago and have found that Newark is not as bad as adverstised. I'm from D.C. so my tolerance is a little higher than most and I'm not scared in an urban atmosphere. I'm a short drive from everything imaginable and live in a very comfortable place. Newark is no D.C. or NY but it appears good in spots like anything else. All the run for your life talk is way overblown. 8-10 years ago, downtown D.C. was in the same position. The downtown arena and new convention center changed all that virtually overnight. Downtown Newark may be a good spot to invest in? With all that said, I've only been here 2 weeks but how much do I need to see?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 PM

I can attest that downtown just isn't the worse it gets. A lot of Newark's violent crime happens in the South Ward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or