Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I will be moving back to NJ from Los Angeles sometime early next year (Feb/Mar). I was born in Hazlet, moved to S.Fla when i was 13. I moved to LA to start my career. Long story short, I have the opportunity to be back east. But its in NJ, not florida(where it would be cheaper). I'm fine with this cause I will still be close to family and friends (which i had none in LA) and i feel this is my only opportunity to move back east. I have visited many times but i know there will be some shock in getting used to things again. I would assume cost of living has to be a little less in NJ. I have been doing tons of research and im hoping to get some direct answers from fellow "posters", especially in the Northern Monmouth county area.

Here it goes:

Where will you be working ? Newark
Will you buy or rent? Will rent for a few months while looking to buy
What is your budget ? Max $300,000 (have 20%,You cant touch that here in LA for a house) Hoping for a total monly payment of $2200 (P/I, Taxes, Insurance,utlities)
What kind of place are you looking for? Home with an 45 minute commute max. Looking at my old stomping grounds along with Matawan,Aberdeen,Middletown...any other suggestions

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? My wife and a cat
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, cause we are looking to start a family when we move.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc). Hoping for a neighborhood thats walkable, young families.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)1. safety,main street area,proximity

Also: Auto insurance, I know its expensive in NJ. I am paying 1800 here in LA for 2 cars. Will it be higher,lower,or equal.
Utlities: What's the projected monthly cost for a home.

I apologize if this went too long or if i rambled. I appreciate the communities input

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM

24 posts, read 144,457 times
Default Some suggestions...

Hello, and I wish you the best of luck with your move! Finding a home for $300k in Northern Monmouth County that suits your needs is not an easy task. As I have spent most of my life in Monmouth and Middlesex Counties, and now live in Somerset County, I know the area well (I also used to work in Newark so I am familiar with the commute). As many towns in that area do not have a "downtown", the options are rather limited. I would suggest Red Bank as that is by far the nicest area along the Bayshore (the area that runs from South Amboy down to Sandy Hook), however Red Bank and the immediate surrounding area is rather expensive. Near to Red Bank, Tinton Falls and Shrewsbury are generally nice areas that are family freindly with properties that meet your budget. They are also close to the Garden State Parkway to take you to Newark. NJ Transit has busses and trains that run along the shore, with a stop in Newark before terminating in NYC (North Jersey Coast Line-this is a link to their schdule listing the towns where there are stations: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf). As for other towns that have an actual "downtown", depending on what your definition of downtown is, would limit your options to maybe Keyport, Matawan, and South Amboy. If this is not a major factor, all else considered, I would suggest Middletown, Holmdel and Hazlet while generally avoiding Cliffwood, Lawrence Harbor, Keansburg and the Middletown sections known as Leonardo and Belford. (The areas along Route 36 tend to be more worn down than those near Route 35).
Of course, the more flexible you are with location the more options you have. There are many, many areas in Monmouth, Middlesex, Somerset, and even Union Counties that you may find more align with what you are looking for. If you have anymore questions, or anything specific about a location in the area, you are welcome to let me know. I hope I was able to provide some help! As my wife and I are currently looking into relocating out of state, I completely understand the desire to hear honest opinions from local residents in the area that you are looking to live! Again, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey