Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 115,279 times

Advertisements

I went with my mother to purchase a vehicle. The seller wrote my name on the title as the buyer, assuming since I was asking all the questions, I was the one buying it. We didn't realize this until a few days later. Does anyone know what she has to do to register the vehicle in her name? Do I have to accompany her to the DMV to register it? If so, what would be needed from me? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Only ways I know to deal with this is either to title the car in your name, you can transfer ownership without registering it, then switch the title to her. This would incur an extra title fee, which if I remember correctly went up recently.
Other way is for seller to obtain a duplicate title from a title office in Trenton, then fill out that one correctly. That takes time contacting the seller, him applying for a dupe, receiving it in the mail. etc.

Don't cross anything out on the title you have or it becomes invalid and you have to do the second option.

One of my kids had a title like that but reg'd in PA since he was living their and the reg agency was a local insurance agent also, so he said if he bought insurance there he'd let the title go like that. It had ink remover or was ersed and written over, but usually they don't do that.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Have the seller produce a valid title with the proper information on it. they can do this by getting a duplicate title through a DMV. It's their screwup, not yours. Getting a dup isn't a big deal. Here's the form..

To get a duplicate title..
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/ISM_SS-7.pdf

If you go the route of registering in the name on the title, file a correction form..

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/MVS-2.pdf

Quote:
Other way is for seller to obtain a duplicate title from a title office in Trenton
No, any DMV office.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 69,767 times
I got a title to have it put in my name and the lady wrote her husbands name instead of his daughters name that was on it will they still let me get it in my name or what will happen ?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 AM

Sounds like what you mean is that they wrote the wrong name as the seller? I would just go and have the title processed, meaning having it transferred to you and see how it goes. If they have a problem with it they might tell you to have the original seller get you a corrected duplicate title but thinking maybe they will process at is.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 AM

1 posts, read 62,966 times
I bought a car a few weeks ago but never registered it and i want to sell it back to this person but my name is still as the buyer in the title. What can i do?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM

The way I see that is you could either sign and process the title over to yourself and then the new old owner would transfer it back to himself. I think that would cost $60 twice plus you may have to pay taxes twice.

Or the original owner could just apply for a duplicate title in his name. That would be cheaper and only one step.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 59,744 times
I was buying a car in long island ny when the guy gave me title,it was signed wrong and scribbled by his girlfriend and then he signed it but title was still in her name and the title had ink fade like it was washed,i live in jersey so what can be done because i really want the car.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 41,273 times
I bought a car from this guy that I cant know longer get intouch with anymore, he sign it wrong, what should I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey