Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 20,592 times

Advertisements

Doing research for an upcoming move. Here are my requirements:

Budget: $500k +/-
Commute: >45 minute train ride to Manhattan (don't like buses, but I'll do it if the house is too good to turn down.)
Land: Would like at least .33 acre but might settle for .25 acre
Schools: No children yet, so we're at least 6 years away from it mattering, but no plans to move after this one for a minimum of 10 years. So I'd say good schools would be a "nice to have"
Neighborhood: Culturally diverse is good, but crime must be a minimum. Good shopping nearby, good restaurants would be nice.

Here is what I found so far along the Montclair Boonton NJTransit line:
Wayne - Excellent land/house value, taxes not overbearing, town seems non-descript but safe. Commutability is ok depending. Careful of flood zones!
Little Falls - Ditto, but commuting is even easier.
Cedar Grove - Nice, slightly less expensive, good taxes....for Essex, but not as good land/house value as above? Haven't seen enough.
Clifton -Lots too small.
Montclair - Prices and taxes just push this town off limits, great town though!
Bloomfield - Land hard to come by, taxes too high. Easy commute tho.
South Orange - different train line, but easy commute. Seems like if you don't want to live near Newark, you pay though the nose. If you want to live closer to the Newark side, more affordable, but crime a problem.

What about your town? I'm sure I'm missing plenty of places! Fill me in!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynborn View Post

Commute: >45 minute train ride to Manhattan (don't like buses, but I'll do it if the house is too good to turn down.)
Don't you mean '<' 45 minutes???? Why would you deliberately seek MORE than 45 minutes....?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,752 times
A home with Good schools, a large lot, and commuting distance under 45 minutes to manhattan is possible but you are going to have to search. It also depends on how big the home has to be and how many bedrooms and bathrooms.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynborn View Post

Budget: $500k +/-
Land: Would like at least .33 acre but might settle for .25 acre
Schools: No children yet, so we're at least 6 years away from it mattering, but no plans to move after this one for a minimum of 10 years. So I'd say good schools would be a "nice to have"
Neighborhood: Culturally diverse is good, but crime must be a minimum. Good shopping nearby, good restaurants would be nice.

Here is what I found so far along the Montclair Boonton NJTransit line:
Wayne - Excellent land/house value, taxes not overbearing, town seems non-descript but safe. Commutability is ok depending. Careful of flood zones!
Little Falls - Ditto, but commuting is even easier.
Cedar Grove - Nice, slightly less expensive, good taxes....for Essex, but not as good land/house value as above? Haven't seen enough.
Clifton -Lots too small.
Montclair - Prices and taxes just push this town off limits, great town though!
Bloomfield - Land hard to come by, taxes too high. Easy commute tho.
South Orange - different train line, but easy commute. Seems like if you don't want to live near Newark, you pay though the nose. If you want to live closer to the Newark side, more affordable, but crime a problem.

What about your town? I'm sure I'm missing plenty of places! Fill me in!

Thanks!
I moved from brooklyn and love it here
Changes to Cheer About. Really. - New York Times

Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 20,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Don't you mean '<' 45 minutes???? Why would you deliberately seek MORE than 45 minutes....?
Oops! Yes, less than <....fat fingers

Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,787 times
Default Little Falls

I grew up in Little Falls and would recommend it as one of your best options.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Check westfield. Great downtown area, and you can find homes in the $400's.

Regarding the commute - two options. Theres a bus line which I've never taken, and then theres the train. With the train, you get about a 20-25 minute ride to Newark, and a 20-25 minute ride from there to New York. Its *the* stop for Raritan Valley Line express trains, so last stop before Newark, first stop out of Newark on anything semi-express or express. A bit outside of your 45 minute time frame though.

Great schools, very little crime, fairly diverse (though yes, decidedly white).

Might also want to look into Maplewood

Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Default Lake Arrowhead

I would choose Lake Arrowhead, Denville, New Jersey.
Taking either the Denville train or ( faster) the bus that stopped right by the community and travels to NYC.
It would be a peaceful, lake community to return home to each evening.
Denville has many nice restaurants.
Good schools.
The town is active and small. There is a large Mall in the next town over.
No crime that I can think of at all.
A good solid police station has always been part of this town.
Straight ride to the city.................

Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

109 posts, read 477,665 times
Pompton Plains across the Highway from Wayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey