Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM

239 posts, read 413,803 times

Advertisements

I'm in Engineering/Information IT with my fellow peers mainly Asian Indian. I have encountered many pleasantires with this cultural group, and get along with them quite well. They're industrious, eager to please, and really do understand the quiet ways in which to go about keeping their heads in a society which undermines them as being authentic American with a right to be here.

I don't always understand why the men sit together, while the women sit away from them - there's many things I don't understand. So I read about different cultures as much as I can.

I also enjoy the Chinese, their culture and traditions.

As you all know by now, America has always been a melting pot of immigrants. In the 19th C it was the Irish, Jews, Germans, Italians, and so forth.

In the 21C we have Haitians, Asian Indians, Iranians, Guatemalans, and so forth.

As long as there is an influx of new cultures you will usually find a dual response: like or dislike.

Last edited by Sagafrika; 12-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 PM

803 posts, read 1,265,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What?
I hate it when people pull out the caste system and throw it in my face, expecting me to comprehend to it just because I happen to be ethnically Indian. It is bigoted (I mean the caste system is bigoted itself but people throwing it in my face are bigots).

Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I hate it when people pull out the caste system and throw it in my face, expecting me to comprehend to it just because I happen to be ethnically Indian. It is bigoted (I mean the caste system is bigoted itself but people throwing it in my face are bigots).
I understand. What does slavery have to do with that though?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Associating an Indian with the caste system just because they are Indian is like associating an American with slavery because it happened in the US.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Associating an Indian with the caste system just because they are Indian is like associating an American with slavery because it happened in the US.

Not exactly, as some Americans held other Americans in slavery. But I really don't want to debate that issue.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not exactly, as some Americans held other Americans in slavery. But I really don't want to debate that issue.
Some Indians hold other Indians lower on the caste system

Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Some Indians hold other Indians lower on the caste system
Again, I'm not going to debate the points of this......

Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 AM

105 posts, read 202,948 times
Quote:
I remember picking up a TIME magazine article about Edison, NJ and it talked about Indians being 20 percent of the population there. I was like "okay this is great" but then it talked about the animosity that Indians faced, basically having visited New Jersey, my family members who live there told me about the racism they faced mainly from the White population (they live elsewhere in Jersey).

So as an opinion to your original post - No, I never felt like I am racially targeted in NJ or in any part of the country.

I'm from India, living in US since '04 and I don't consider insecure rants on internet as "proof".

Most of the people who make hateful comments have never been with Indians, never befriended them or never shared a workplace. They just go by popular stereotypes that Indians build Taj Mahals, eat curry, play with snakes, commute on elephants and smell bad whenever they have a chance. Idiots happen to be in every nook and corner of this earth and of course, there are lot many more of them in India.

Last edited by Kannadiga; 12-16-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default NJ continues to suffer...when did you stop being racist

Indians make up a huge part of pharma and other industries' work force deomgraphics, demonstrating the vast opportunities available that should mitigate any concern for blatant racism being practiced in NJ.

Sure racism is alive an well and living in Nj and every country on the planet, including India. Has been around for as long as people lived in clans.

"In Australia this May, a savage attack and robbery left two Indian students hospitalized, leading to protests in Melbourne’s streets. The assault closely followed the firebombing of an Indian home and one other allegedly race-based incident.

These incidents, though not clearly racially motivated, led to predictable outrage in Indian media. Now, the Indian media and blogosphere is turning on itself, questioning what it sees as India’s own rampant racism."

You can find whatever you are looking for. what are you looking for?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM

105 posts, read 202,948 times
Kracer, I have a strong feeling that most of these incidents of attacks on Indians in Australia are NOT racially motivated. They just happen to be robberies where this time the victims being Indians. Indian media sure knows how to concoct stories and blow things out of proportions especially when the news seems sensitive to Indians.

Even if it was the case that Indians were deliberately targeted, we can't blatantly sweep it off as racism. Indians, not being local, seemingly make easy targets for robbers. I don't call it racism. It's more of how robbers think in terms of resistance they are going to receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey