Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM

58 posts, read 286,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Pretty soon all of NJ will be Creepy
Amen.

I live in Howell, 20 min from Six Flags. My boss recently took his family there on a Monday night, and he said it was a zoo. Pushy, arrogant, impatient people dropping the "f"-bomb every couple of words... His young daughter said she didn't want to come back again. A kid who doesn't want to go to an amusement park???? An then he reminded me...it was a MONDAY night. What on Earth could it be like on the weekend?

To me, this is just a measure where the state is heading. I wanted to take my 5 year old there to see the new kids section... WRONG! After his story, I won't do it.

I'm so ticked off that these external factors are compelling me to leave. Skyrocketing cost and diminishing quality. What a shame.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Default NOT SO GREAT Adventure....

That reminds me of my final visit to Six Flags. I had just juggled my 3 children and our dinner bought from some overpriced fast food joint and was walking towards our car. It was closing time and I was starving, tired, pushing a stroller, trying to keep a handle on my 2 other children and carrying a few bags of food and drinks. A woman bumped into me, stepped on my foot, and almost knocked my 5 year old down. My bags of food and drinks went flying and I stopped and looked at her like "What the.....????" She looked me up and down, looked down at my food splattered on the ground, flipped me the bird and walked away.

Niiiice.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeForSale View Post
woohoo- "Love at First Sight" was that gem thought up by ol'Jimmy McGrevy? Would that be "Love on the beach in Cape May" heehee....Ya gotta laugh
Ya Gotta laugh is right! The scary part is after our wonderful state paid thousands of dollars to an advertising agency, they didn't like the results and made it into a contest for residents. "Love at First Sight" is a gem thought up by some random NJerseyan. Obviously, one who has never flown into Newark Airport.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:05 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinginNJ View Post
Union beach is nice but it aint all that nice (I know this first hand. We still have relatives who live there). It is not an unsafe town, but it is quite trashy.
I remember Union Beach being somewhat trashy years ago, But they have really built it up quite nice. With the incredible housing price increases has pushed out many of the "undesireables". Have you seen the new waterfront area? For now, I'll stay in Ocean County. Anyone want to buy a house???

Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
That reminds me of my final visit to Six Flags. I had just juggled my 3 children and our dinner bought from some overpriced fast food joint and was walking towards our car. It was closing time and I was starving, tired, pushing a stroller, trying to keep a handle on my 2 other children and carrying a few bags of food and drinks. A woman bumped into me, stepped on my foot, and almost knocked my 5 year old down. My bags of food and drinks went flying and I stopped and looked at her like "What the.....????" She looked me up and down, looked down at my food splattered on the ground, flipped me the bird and walked away.

Niiiice.
Is this the former Jersey mom? NC mom, I think I might had flipped out when she flipped the "bird". The only thing that would have stopped me would be the little kids with me. But then you have to worry about getting knifed or shot right there at the " amusement park". I'm sure you were steaming. There are very few people who care anything about their fellow man /woman. I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Yes, it's me.
I had my baby with me-and really these weren't people you told off.
I was in tears going home. No money left to feed my kids and SO angry I didn't know what to do.

Here, someone would have helped me. There, they all looked at me and kept walking.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Do you people have anything else better to do, then trash cities on this forum? I live in Paterson, and yes, it is a tough town, but that doesn't mean that everyone in this city, or the whole city for that matter, is one giant slum. Paterson is a large and diverse city, where people are just trying their best to get by in life. We have to remember that New Jersey really doesn't have a classic big city, like some states. I lived in Ohio for sometime, and if Newark (our state's biggest city) was in Ohio, it would be the the 5th biggest city (behind Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Toledo) I lived in Cleveland, and I can say, that it will make any city on this list, look like Disneyland. You haven't seen bad into you walk in some parts of Cleveland. That being said, you have to remember, that NJ has a HORRIBLE reputation in this country. We are seen as being nothing but a toxic, urban hell, where there is nothing but pollution, traffic, and urban sprawl throughout the place. Also, let's not forget, NYC's dumping ground. I tell people all the time that NJ is a wonderful place, but they just laugh it off. (New Joisey is nasty!) While I try my best to change people's feelings about NJ, would you please just take a second to realize that people do call these places home, and I'm sure no one wouldn't like to hear that their hometown (or state) made a top-ten list for a negative reason. I know these places could be dangerous, but that doesn't mean we have to knock them. Jersey City is nice! They don't call it's downtown "Wall St. West" for nothing. Newark is getting there. It has a great history going back to 1666 (making it older than Philadelphia) Soon we New Jerseyans will be proud to say Newark is the city of NJ. Paterson has history like no other place in this country. Alexander Hamilton founded this city, as the first planned industrial city in America. America's industrial power was born at the Great Falls of the Passaic. So lets just realize that NJ and it's cites are one with each other. Talking trash about them, is the same as downing New Jersey (your home) as a whole.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:20 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
Quote:
I have to add, South Jersey towns that are nice to live in, except of course for taxes, Point Pleasant, Brick township, Tom's River, Parts of Manchester, Part's of Howell, Mantoloking, Pine beach, Beachwood, Bayville, and Manahawkin( home of 105.7 classic rock) These area's are still very nice, schools are good, and overall safe area's. These are all in Ocean County. Some nice area's in Monmouth County are Hazlet, Middletown, Keyport, Union Beach. Middlesex County-- Old Bridge, Sayreville, Part's of Matawan.
i grew up in union beach. wouldnt recommend it to anyone. ive been out of there for ages but visit it every year. the beach front area has been built up nice. the rest of the town is the same as it was before i left it back in 1984 and moved to howell. ub was always the arm pit of the bayshore area (along with keansburg). i still have friends and family there.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:22 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
Quote:
I have to add, South Jersey towns that are nice to live in, except of course for taxes, Point Pleasant, Brick township, Tom's River, Parts of Manchester, Part's of Howell, Mantoloking, Pine beach, Beachwood, Bayville, and Manahawkin( home of 105.7 classic rock) These area's are still very nice, schools are good, and overall safe area's. These are all in Ocean County. Some nice area's in Monmouth County are Hazlet, Middletown, Keyport, Union Beach. Middlesex County-- Old Bridge, Sayreville, Part's of Matawan.
howell is in monmouth county.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 AM

179 posts, read 706,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth? The lovely city everyone who flies into Newark gets to smell...I mean see?

Actually half of "Newark" airport is in Elizabeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey