Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 14,505 times

Advertisements

The hot topic, apparently, for years: would consolidating the 566 towns, or consolidating the 616 school districts, cut taxes. I live in an area with 5 sending districts and a regional high school (Rancocas Valley) - just why are my neighbors paying for six superintendents and 5 town managers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,360 times
I have the same situation. I live in Chesterfield. We have our own Elementary School. We end up going to the Northern Burlington Middle School and High School along with North Hanover, Mansfield (2 schools), Springfield, and McGuire. We all have our own Superintendants.....not only that - but each school is teaching a little differently and at different levels which makes the transition to Middle School a little harder too. Its ridiculous. I think we should all be a part of the same district.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,419 times
My district is big, and a single one, but I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree with the above. There is a ridiculous amount of waste. Isn't there a town somewhere with a superintendent and "school district" but is so small it actually has no schools? WHAT is the point apart from "jobs for the boys"?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,505 times
Actually, there are 23 school districts like that. Pemberton Township and Pemberton Borough have two superintendents who work in buildings next door to each other, on the same street. No joke.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ononuk View Post
The hot topic, apparently, for years: would consolidating the 566 towns, or consolidating the 616 school districts, cut taxes. I live in an area with 5 sending districts and a regional high school (Rancocas Valley) - just why are my neighbors paying for six superintendents and 5 town managers?
Come on now, you know the answer, yes. But people don't want to do it unless it benefits (THEM). This is why people run for the suburbs for their own little best school district. Lets face it most wealthy people that live in suburbia don't and won't send their children to a poor urban school district. If that happens they will send little Johnny to a private school.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Simple answer- can you say "NJEA"?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Simple answer- can you say "NJEA"?
I don't know if you can really blame them for this one. The NJEA represents the rank and file teachers who wouldn't be at all affected by school consolidation. For example, let's say hell froze over and New Jersey consolidated all of its schools into county districts tomorrow. You're still going to need the exact same number of teachers because the number of students won't change. However, you will need to fire A LOT of Superintendents and support staff-THERE'S your problem. Hell hath no fury like a Superintendent who loses his cush $100K+ per year job-let alone 500 of them. The other part of the problem is New Jersey's stupid backwards fixation on home rule. Try telling people from Princeton and Hamilton that their children will be attending a new county high school with children from Trenton and watch the fur fly.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Come on now, you know the answer, yes. But people don't want to do it unless it benefits (THEM). This is why people run for the suburbs for their own little best school district. Lets face it most wealthy people that live in suburbia don't and won't send their children to a poor urban school district. If that happens they will send little Johnny to a private school.
or, they don't support it unless it DOESN'T affect them! classic NIMBY. people want change, but don't want TO change.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I don't know if you can really blame them for this one. The NJEA represents the rank and file teachers who wouldn't be at all affected by school consolidation. For example, let's say hell froze over and New Jersey consolidated all of its schools into county districts tomorrow. You're still going to need the exact same number of teachers because the number of students won't change. However, you will need to fire A LOT of Superintendents and support staff-THERE'S your problem. Hell hath no fury like a Superintendent who loses his cush $100K+ per year job-let alone 500 of them. The other part of the problem is New Jersey's stupid backwards fixation on home rule. Try telling people from Princeton and Hamilton that their children will be attending a new county high school with children from Trenton and watch the fur fly.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the administrators and support staff belong (or can belong) to the NJEA as well. My mother was the chief clerk at one of the schools in Woodbridge, and she got the monthly magazine, got all of the NJEA discount programs, etc.

I don't think the problem of home rule would be as big of a deal as you think- the kids from Princeton would still go to a high school in Princeton, and the kids in Trenton would still go to a high school in Trenton. The difference is, they'd have a common curriculum and calendar, they'd share some support services (purchasing, business administrator, payroll, personnel dept., etc), and there would be one superintendent over them all.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the administrators and support staff belong (or can belong) to the NJEA as well. My mother was the chief clerk at one of the schools in Woodbridge, and she got the monthly magazine, got all of the NJEA discount programs, etc.

I don't think the problem of home rule would be as big of a deal as you think- the kids from Princeton would still go to a high school in Princeton, and the kids in Trenton would still go to a high school in Trenton. The difference is, they'd have a common curriculum and calendar, they'd share some support services (purchasing, business administrator, payroll, personnel dept., etc), and there would be one superintendent over them all.
you're giving people more credit than they probably deserve. you're right, but that (major) point would get lost in the hysteria sure to ensue if this was to take flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey