Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,947 times

Advertisements

Dear Residents of NJ
I would be moving to NJ from CA this Feb. My work place would be in Franklin Lakes NJ. I have 2 sons. Older 7 and I need a good school District for him. Second would turn 3. He was diagnised of Autism and has ben receiving services from CA regional center. So I am looking for a two bedroom apartment not very expensive, easy to commute for me to Franklin lakes and good school for both my kids. Could you please give in your suggestions
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Location: Where Sunday shopping is prohibited :) - Bergen County, NJ!
108 posts, read 162,305 times
Franklin Lakes is one of the richest towns in America.
The famous show of New Jersey housewifes is from Franklin Lakes.

Living in/near Franklin Lakes is expensive. Count for about $2000 rent minimum.
All schools in that area are excellent, even the surrounding towns.

If you want to live more affordable rents, and nicer for your price, I would suggest other towns, such as Hackensack, River Edge, Oradell area.
Or, nearby towns of Mahwah and Ramsey area.

All of these areas have excellent school system, except in Hackensack, where public schools are OK.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,947 times
Thanks a lot. I was looking at Ridgewood and Fairlawn. Ridgewood Schools have very good ratings. As you mentioned the rents are really high there. I wanted to know one more thing. Are there School buses transporting kids from home to school. In CA we don't have school buses even in the best School Distrcts.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDP_CA View Post
Thanks a lot. I was looking at Ridgewood and Fairlawn. Ridgewood Schools have very good ratings. As you mentioned the rents are really high there. I wanted to know one more thing. Are there School buses transporting kids from home to school. In CA we don't have school buses even in the best School Distrcts.

Ridgewood is one of the most expensive towns in the country. Yes the town is top-notch, but you pay dearly for it. Fair Lawn, while still not cheap, is significantly more affordable and the schools are still very good. Both towns have quite a few apartment complexes, but there are more in Fair Lawn.

As far as bus transportation, most towns in NJ don't bus to elementary schools, but it's usually not a big issue, as towns here tend to be small compared to towns in other parts of the country and there are multiple elementary schools in most towns. (Fair Lawn and Ridgewood each have six elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school.) In many cases, the school may only be a few blocks from your home.

Now as far as middle school/high school bussing, the rule for most towns is they will bus you if you live two or more miles away from the school. You can pay for private bussing if you want, however. (I have no idea how much it costs, but I'm sure it can't be cheap.)

Both towns would provide a good commute to Franklin Lakes.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
As far as bus transportation, most towns in NJ don't bus to elementary schools...
I would disagree. Most town I know of, in the other half of the state granted, do bus to school. However, many towns have a limit on how close to the school you live. If you live too close to the school, then you won't get bus service.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
I've heard that Ridgewood has very good special ed services.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Good thing about Franklin Lks is that it's easily accessible from 287, 208 & 4. You could head a bit north to Ringwood, Pompton Lakes or Wanaque. Maybe someone here could tell you how the schools are. I'm pretty sure they're more affordable than most Bergen County towns.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,220 times
Ridgewood is known for their special ed services. Very kid orientated. Kids can walk to most grammar schools. Buses are not supplied if you live within 1 mi of the grammar and middle schools and 2 miles from the high school. A wonderful place for kids to grow up. Great community spirit and neighborhood feeling. like the old days. Houses are not too spread apart....maybe even too close in some areas but the kids love it. A bit expensive in some parts but regular joes in other. A nice mix....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey