Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
someone likes to pull the race card.

im not sure where i said anything about race. when do you decide its time to start calling people racist?
Well you keep putting down the cities , i'm not pull the race card for one race , but more like the diversity card......you don't seem to like Diversity. But like i said to a few forumers a few weeks ago , if you have nothing nice to say about certain cities or towns don't say it at all. People do not like what you say and it starts trouble so just stop it , start a blog if you want to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
people can walk around without worrying about getting shanked
"Shanking" seems to be of paramount concern in your life. You reference it often. Is it some sort of metaphor for your personal life?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well you keep putting down the cities , i'm not pull the race card for one race , but more like the diversity card......you don't seem to like Diversity. But like i said to a few forumers a few weeks ago , if you have nothing nice to say about certain cities or towns don't say it at all. People do not like what you say and it starts trouble so just stop it , start a blog if you want to say that.
so i dont like cities so i must be racist? thats absolutely ridiculous. im not opposed to or in favor of "diversity." that has nothing to do with my negative opinion regarding cities.

just because you keep saying that people shouldnt say negative things about cities doesnt mean we are going to listen. i have my opinion and you have yours. neither of us is obligated to always be positive or be quiet.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
"Shanking" seems to be of paramount concern in your life. You reference it often. Is it some sort of metaphor for your personal life?
haha its a funny word. i actually used it a lot this past weekend in puerto rico. we were there for my wife's high school reunion. some houses look like prisons over there. it was a lot of fun though.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
i definitely dont like cities. but some cities are better than others. JC is one of those that is on the lower end.

best buy, target, mall with some new stores; when you are boasting about that stuff you arent doing too well.
i was responding to the fact that you said it was "down and going". the buildings and new apartments and restaurants are all there. as well as the improvement of the retail environment. how exactly are they not doing well?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I have lived there and downtown is going strong. Nice neighborhoods, good restaurants and a feeling of safety. Forget the box stores I think the fact that Goldman built a building there and Trump put his name on a building there indicate the improvement is here to stay. Now, as for the rest of the city it is stable but not nearly as nice as downtown and I suspect it never will be. The Beacon was the big test to see if the rest of the city could replicate the waterfront's success. I think it is pretty clear it can't.
i think the economy's turn for the worse just delayed that expansion that was reaching other parts of the city. I wouldn't count those areas out yet, once the economy rebounds. Maybe it will never happen, but it's not a far stretch to assume that the area will continue to improve once there is more money to be spent on condos and businesses.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post

As much as I offer my stereotypical "shore local" contempt for all that is north of the Raritan Bridge on the Parkway, I have to admit Hoboken is a cool place in the right context. I honestly think I'd have a ton of fun there, if not for the fact that I'm such a beach bum that I go into withdrawls if away from the ocean for more than a couple days.

Still, whoa, they gotta do something about the sewers over there. I visit my cousin who lives in Hoboken every so often and every time I walk to her building I'm assaulted by sewage funk. Those corrupt politicians up there gotta be good for somethin'! Start laying some pipes, guys!!
it's really only bad when it rains a bit or high tide time. certain parts of town are worse than others. i feel like it's not as difficult as people think to fix, but requires a combination of a few things, including pumps for the heavy rains.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You're crazy. I've lived in a city before (Tampa, FL) and actually enjoyed it very much. Yes, there are bad parts, but overall it's a cool place to live with a lot of unique neighborhoods and sections. It's packed with people from all different races.

The difference between Jersey cities and cities in other places is that Jersey's cities all seem to be falling apart at the seams, the streets are full of garbage, old buildings are allowed to stay up instead of being torn down, everything just looks old, gray and miserable. Plus, our cities have almost NO sections where you wouldn't be concerned with the crime factor. Even the "good" neighborhoods aren't THAT good.

Plus, when I lived in Tampa, people could send their children to public schools and they'd be fine. If they lived in a nice part of town, they wouldn't have to worry. Can't say that about any of our cities, which is why the few middle class people who live in cities for commuting convenience flee as soon as they get married and want to start a family.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how exactly are they not doing well?
im just saying that if you are excited about getting a target or a best buy then you probably dont have a great situation.

ill try to do some research on jersey city thats based on stats and see what i see.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
You're crazy. I've lived in a city before (Tampa, FL) and actually enjoyed it very much. Yes, there are bad parts, but overall it's a cool place to live with a lot of unique neighborhoods and sections. It's packed with people from all different races.

The difference between Jersey cities and cities in other places is that Jersey's cities all seem to be falling apart at the seams, the streets are full of garbage, old buildings are allowed to stay up instead of being torn down, everything just looks old, gray and miserable. Plus, our cities have almost NO sections where you wouldn't be concerned with the crime factor. Even the "good" neighborhoods aren't THAT good.

Plus, when I lived in Tampa, people could send their children to public schools and they'd be fine. If they lived in a nice part of town, they wouldn't have to worry. Can't say that about any of our cities, which is why the few middle class people who live in cities for commuting convenience flee as soon as they get married and want to start a family.
The Same can be said about NYC , but rarely isn't. Tampa and cities outside the Northeast are larger and built differently. Cities in the Northeast are more Dense and have alot problems but all have brighter futures with a little push. We already seeing cities like Jersey City , Elizabeth , Paterson , New Brunswick and Hackensack Turn around , so i have no doubt that Newark , Irvington , East Orange and Camden won't. As for the garbage on the streets , that really isn't a huge issue , and every city has that problem , its more common near Highways. Crime can happen anywhere , but i think in the Urban areas its often overblown and hyped up. Florida Schools are terrible , alot of Private schools have been opening up over the years in the urban areas.....so Education has been shifting. Comparing Tampa or any Northeastern city to a city in the South doesn't work.....there cities are giant sprawly wastelands....Ours are compacted metropolises.....even our suburbs are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey