U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 AM

361 posts, read 1,880,967 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is one of those broad "where should I live?" questions, but I really don't even know where to start. I plan to look for jobs in/around NYC (after graduation from grad school in May) and I could live anywhere, but have "narrowed it down" to New Jersey or New York north of the city. Here are some factors I am taking into account:
  • I'm 40, single, female
  • I would prefer an actual town vs. a bedroom community
  • cost is an issue - think frugal
  • 1 BR decent, economical apartment (i.e. not a luxury building but not a dump either) to rent
  • safety of the area is a concern
  • needs to be on a commuter rail line
  • I may have to move before I have a job, so I don't know where I'll be working
  • need to be able to park my car at my apartment - no random on-street parking or parking far away

Part of my confusion is that I haven't lived in the suburbs of a major city since high school, so the whole commuting-by-rail thing is new to me. Will any money I save in rent by living further away be offset by the cost to commute? What if I move to a town with a train station and then find that no parking is available at the train station for years - are buses always available? Is it possible to find what I'm looking for within, say, 30 minutes commute of the city? And if not will I go beserk commuting for 2 hours every day? Okay, that one only I can answer...

In short, my goal with this thread is to get some opinions not only on possible places to live but also some advice on how to make this decision. Thanks everyone for any and all input!

Last edited by katreese; 12-15-2010 at 04:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 AM

75,220 posts, read 70,396,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Hello! This is one of those broad "where should I live?" questions, but I really don't even know where to start. I plan to look for jobs in/around NYC (after graduation from grad school in May) and I could live anywhere, but have "narrowed it down" to New Jersey or New York north of the city. Here are some factors I am taking into account:

• I'm 40, single, female
  • I would prefer an actual town vs. a bedroom community
  • cost is an issue - think frugal
  • 1 BR decent, economical apartment (i.e. not a luxury building but not a dump either) to rent
  • safety of the area is a concern
  • needs to be on a commuter rail line
  • I may have to move before I have a job, so I don't know where I'll be working
  • need to be able to park my car at my apartment - no random on-street parking or parking far away

Part of my confusion is that I haven't lived in the suburbs of a major city since high school, so the whole commuting-by-rail thing is new to me. Will any money I save in rent by living further away be offset by the cost to commute? What if I move to a town with a train station and then find that no parking is available at the train station for years - are buses always available? Is it possible to find what I'm looking for within, say, 30 minutes commute of the city? And if not will I go beserk commuting for 2 hours every day? Okay, that one only I can answer...

In short, my goal with this thread is to get some opinions not only on possible places to live but also some advice on how to make this decision. Thanks everyone for any and all input!

The first alarm bell is "cost is an issue--think frugal". You are moving to New Jersey, one of the most expensive places to live in the country. It would be better to come up with a budget/number that you can afford for rent.

Don't move to a town with a train station without first finding out what the parking situation is. That information is available under "Rider Guide" on the NJ Transit website, www.njtransit.com, where you can also looked up what towns are on the different rail lines to aid you in your search when you go onto move.com or realtor.com to look for rentals in particular towns.

The desire for a "30-minute" commute is always amusing to hear. There is a mile-wide river between NYC and NJ. The cities on the Jersey side bordering the river have a 30-minute commute. That would be Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, etc. Don't look at Hoboken if you want frugal. Jersey City you will probably have to make a choice between frugal and safe.

In general, yes, it's cheaper to live further away but your commuting cost will be higher. I commute two hours a day. It is draining, but I read on my commute time. That commute, by the way, brings me home to 60 miles from Manhattan. Previously, my commute was 1 hour and 20 minutes when I lived 30 miles from the city. See what I mean about the river factoring into your time?

Anyway, start researching the towns to see what might be a good fit. I will suggest Rutherford and Hawthorne for starters. Both are not too expensive, safe towns, with main streets containing shops/restaurants, and both are on a rail line, one a little further out than the other. Both have a lot of rental properties both multi-family and apartment complexes. Don't know about the parking at Rutherford, but if you live in Hawthorne you park on the streets near the train station with a resident sticker that costs you $2.00 per year. Non-residents pay $600.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

Thank you for the tips! I guess by "frugal" I mean "spend as little as possible" - as in, I know rent is going to be expensive, but I don't need a penthouse with marble floors. But yeah, having a budget would be helpful!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,413,812 times

Some towns you should look into.....

Main / Bergen lines
Mahwah
Ramsey
Ridgewood
Rutherford

Pascack Valley line
Montvale
Hillsdale
Westwood

Morristown line
Mount Tabor
Morristown
Chatham
Summit
South Orange

Raritan Valley line
Raritan
Somerville
Bridgewater

Northeast Corridor
New Brunswick
Edison
Rahway
Linden
Secaucus

North Jersey Coast line
Woodbridge
Perth Amboy
South Amboy
Aberdeen - Matawan
Middletown
Little Silver

PATH system
Harrison
Grove Street - Historic Downtown Section of Jersey City

Hudson Bergen Light Rail
Bayonne
Weehawken

Southern end Union City
Jersey City Heights

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-15-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,306,475 times
you're going to be looking at a minimum of a 45 minute commute unless you live right next to a train stop and work right off of where that train goes. I lived in Hoboken, 6-7 minute walk to the path, 1 minute walk to the bus, and my commute was 45-55 minutes door to door.

roomates will help with frugality...

Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,040,895 times
You'll need a number regardless of frugality...and in my opinion if you need to be very frugal. Queens is better option than North NJ. Brooklyn is another but housing and rental market over there have been very hot so prices have gone up.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
You'll need a number regardless of frugality...and in my opinion if you need to be very frugal. Queens is better option than North NJ. Brooklyn is another but housing and rental market over there have been very hot so prices have gone up.
Yes , but everyday living costs over there keep going up. Like food , gas , Transit , in NJ they've stayed low.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,040,895 times
Except for gas, I'm going to have to disagree on the rest. Everyday prices are going up in NJ too. I don't have some indexes or data I can pull out but it's based on my experience of spending my time about 80/20 in NJ/NY for past 4 years.

NJ transit did pull out a pretty big hike on some lines (my area of Bergen county got hit with 20-25% increase in bus). Which isn't that far off how much MTA jacked up in toll and subway fares. Although MTA was everyone while NJ Transit hike didn't affect everyone...just some parts like me.

Personally I think that for families or individuals who don't have children and are not worried about good public school system. NY is cheaper to live than NJ as renter or owner. But then again...lot of this depend on which tax bracket you belong to. Considering NYC tax is pretty painful...but that's easily offset by fact of on amount of property tax/school system you are worried about.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 AM

5,256 posts, read 13,027,280 times
Secaucus, Rutherford, and Lyndhurst could work. These towns exceed 30 minutes, but it's a 15-20 minute sacrifice. They all have charming little downtown's. I'd say $850-1100/mo would suffice (for a one bedroom) in these towns.
You're very limited- You might want to include a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>