Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM

204 posts, read 634,962 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and look to rent one place close by this intersection, is this area generally safe? I was living in northern va before so this change in environment will come as a shock to me so I want to at least feel secure coming back from work at night. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
A big huge NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay away from that area...

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,557 times
I would not recommend that area of Jersey City. That area (Lafayette) along with Greenville is where a great deal of the crime in Jersey City is concentrated. And especially coming from a Northern VA, it's not a great idea -- only someone who is very used to an urban environment would do okay in that area.

If you're looking for something in Jersey City and can't afford something by the waterfront or elsewhere downtown, you are better off looking in the Jersey City Heights (which is the northernmost part of JC, to the west of Hoboken), or even in the area right around the Journal Square PATH.

As an introduction to JC, the areas along the waterfront in downtown JC are quite safe, areas of downtown between Marin Blvd and Jersey Ave/Coles St are also pretty safe (for a city environment), and areas between Jersey/Coles and the Turnpike are just a tad less safe. Outside of downtown, the Heights area is mostly not bad aside from a few problem houses/blocks. Journal Square gets a bit rougher, and as you head south in Jersey City to Lafayette and Greenville it gets a lot rougher.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 14,271 times
Default Claremont Ave and Garfeild_ Jersey City (2nd post)

Wow...

Ok I am in contract on a property in that same area, any out look on it becoming better any time soon. Moving from Fort Greene, Brooklyn where I live in a pricey rental unit across the street from on of Brooklyn's largest housing development projects. Do you think I would be fine??

I have lived in Ft. Greene Brooklyn through the whole gentrification process, there is still crime around here just not as much as in the 1990's.

I really hope that I am not moving in to a trap, but I also believe that the residents in the community who can make it better should. I be driving in NYC almost daily for work, so I am not sure if I would be of major risk.

OH BOY.. Please some one say something positive?? if there is any thing positive at all?? I can't afford to buy in NYC and got a deal on this property but don't want to feel like I am contracting for my life in this deal. Not to mention the travel, I want to be close to home (NYC)...

Its giving a 1,500.00 per moth studio rental for a nice home.. ?

Please comment -

AL

Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy123al View Post
Wow...

Ok I am in contract on a property in that same area, any out look on it becoming better any time soon. Moving from Fort Greene, Brooklyn where I live in a pricey rental unit across the street from on of Brooklyn's largest housing development projects. Do you think I would be fine??

I have lived in Ft. Greene Brooklyn through the whole gentrification process, there is still crime around here just not as much as in the 1990's.

I really hope that I am not moving in to a trap, but I also believe that the residents in the community who can make it better should. I be driving in NYC almost daily for work, so I am not sure if I would be of major risk.

OH BOY.. Please some one say something positive?? if there is any thing positive at all?? I can't afford to buy in NYC and got a deal on this property but don't want to feel like I am contracting for my life in this deal. Not to mention the travel, I want to be close to home (NYC)...

Please comment -

AL
Move into that area at your own peril
Gentrification is a long way down the pike if ever for that section

My son's best friend is a cop in JC....get out of that contract if you can

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy123al View Post
Wow...

Please comment -

AL
there is nothing to be said, the area is a pit and has little prospects of turning around. People need to be diligent and at least do the simplest research before moving to an unknown area. If I were you I'd try and break any contract you've entered into and find somewhere else to live.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
va-jc, yes, it will be culture shock. where will you be working? maybe someone can suggest other options.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
That area is one of the worst in JC. Lots of gangs, murders and robberies. Check it out on a warm Friday night. Get out of that contract.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 AM

13 posts, read 40,748 times
If you lived in Ft Green you will be fine, you would have a better chance getting robbed in BK, where I grew up than Greenville, most crimes that happen there are whites coming from Bayonne looking for drugs, if you are not a druggie you will be fine.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username1111 View Post
If you lived in Ft Green you will be fine, you would have a better chance getting robbed in BK, where I grew up than Greenville, most crimes that happen there are whites coming from Bayonne looking for drugs, if you are not a druggie you will be fine.

Ummm...I rather doubt that the person who posted the information regarding having lived in Ft Green and thinking about moving to JC is still thinking about that move.

If you take a look at the date of the posting, it was done on October 2, 2007. That person, Andy123Al, posted two messages on that date, and has never returned to this site again.

Do you really think that he/she has been silently sitting by his/her computer for 4+ years, awaiting further advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey