Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,767 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
OMG - Tommy Lucas and the Hound Dogs atLinwood Grove. My life! Couldn't wait to get there on Sundayafternoons at 1:00pm so as not to miss one single dance. Met Tommy many years later when he was amember of a group called the Alibis. Billy Keiser from the original Hound Dogs was also in the newgroup. I grew up in the Clara Bartonsection of Edison and was in the first graduating class from Edison High in1960; otherwise would have gone to Perth Amboy. New school had no stadium, so football games were played at RooseveltPark, where we skated in the winter. Ilived 2 blocks from Stewarts and 3 from Carvel. Walked or took bus to Perth Amboy to shop. What great memories! Can't believe I came across this site, as I'mjust putting together a scrap book for my 54th reunion - not 55th. Since our 50th, so many classmates havepassed on that we decided to do another one sooner. So much fun. I might wear a poodle skirt!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times
neighborhood beverages was the name and it was on old post rd next to the old strip mall where Anns luncheonette was ,edison raquetball was built there after it was demolished and when they closed it became a korean/asian grocery,,, this was and is opposite vineyard road on old post rd

Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times
neighborhood beverages was the name

Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
Yes I remember Edison and living on Gurley Road in Old Post Homes. I remember bowling at Edison Lanes, and the pool hall inside. I remember on RT1 across from Edison Lanes the Bamboo Bar B Que and those foot long hot dogs. How about Stewarts and Dairy Queen. Mack Trucks on the corner at Rt.1 and Plainfield Ave. I remember the Ford Plant and all those Edsels and Fords out front waiting to be shipped. How about the Raritan Arsenal and seeing it as an active base going to school (Bonhamtown School grades K to 2) across the street in the 50's. Grades 3 and 4 going to Sand Hills School. Grades 5 and 6 Clara Barton School. Remember Camp Kilmer too, in fact we had a huge Boy Scout weekend Camporee in Camp Kilmer, our patrol Flying Eagle of Troop 12 took top honors in the skills tests. Tons of memories of little league and a pitcher no one could hit. Jackie Malia probably threw it 80+ mph. Remember boy scout troop 12 and our meetings at Piscataway grade school on Woodbridge Ave. As kids we would shop for our soda, candy bars, and baseball cards at several stores on Woodbridge Ave: Cals, Gaysers, Edison Deli to name a few. I remember Hidden Lake and our family joining Mirror Lake Beach Club. I remember friends in Tanglewood Homes and Lighthouse Trailer Park. Remember the milk box, the bread-man, the knife sharpener, the bleach man, the TV repair man Frank Tooker. Summer we used to follow the Mosquito Truck on our bikes in the smoke. Remember going with friends to the dump down by the Raritan river and collecting cattails and drying them out to light and puff on as kids. I remember Crestview Park playing ball, summer craft activities making pot holders, lanyards, key chains. Behind Crestview park were the sand dunes where we would jump off and roll 30 to 40 feet down the cliffs. We even did this on our bikes too. Remember we had 3 sets of woods to play in and the woods behind B&M Lumber Yard had a great stream where we would go and catch crawfish, salamanders, frogs, turtles, and snakes. B&M had this cold water fountain we could frequent, we bought a ton of nails here for our tree forts we built in the woods. Tons of great memories in Edison which was known as Nixon. George Douglas Smith [email]georgegdsmith1@outlook.com[/email]

Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george d smith View Post
Yes I remember Edison and living on Gurley Road in Old Post Homes. I remember bowling at Edison Lanes, and the pool hall inside. I remember on RT1 across from Edison Lanes the Bamboo Bar B Que and those foot long hot dogs. How about Stewarts and Dairy Queen. Mack Trucks on the corner at Rt.1 and Plainfield Ave. I remember the Ford Plant and all those Edsels and Fords out front waiting to be shipped. How about the Raritan Arsenal and seeing it as an active base going to school (Bonhamtown School grades K to 2) across the street in the 50's. Grades 3 and 4 going to Sand Hills School. Grades 5 and 6 Clara Barton School. Remember Camp Kilmer too, in fact we had a huge Boy Scout weekend Camporee in Camp Kilmer, our patrol Flying Eagle of Troop 12 took top honors in the skills tests. Tons of memories of little league and a pitcher no one could hit. Jackie Malia probably threw it 80+ mph. Remember boy scout troop 12 and our meetings at Piscataway grade school on Woodbridge Ave. As kids we would shop for our soda, candy bars, and baseball cards at several stores on Woodbridge Ave: Cals, Gaysers, Edison Deli to name a few. I remember Hidden Lake and our family joining Mirror Lake Beach Club. I remember friends in Tanglewood Homes and Lighthouse Trailer Park. Remember the milk box, the bread-man, the knife sharpener, the bleach man, the TV repair man Frank Tooker. Summer we used to follow the Mosquito Truck on our bikes in the smoke. Remember going with friends to the dump down by the Raritan river and collecting cattails and drying them out to light and puff on as kids. I remember Crestview Park playing ball, summer craft activities making pot holders, lanyards, key chains. Behind Crestview park were the sand dunes where we would jump off and roll 30 to 40 feet down the cliffs. We even did this on our bikes too. Remember we had 3 sets of woods to play in and the woods behind B&M Lumber Yard had a great stream where we would go and catch crawfish, salamanders, frogs, turtles, and snakes. B&M had this cold water fountain we could frequent, we bought a ton of nails here for our tree forts we built in the woods. Tons of great memories in Edison which was known as Nixon. George Douglas Smith georgegdsmith1@outlook.com
Interesting post George, I remember Jack Malia (sp) because I am pretty sure I caught him in the Edison LL. I also remember playing on the first official LL field next to the Water Tower on Loring Ave. Much better than the field at the Idelwild school or the one at Lindinaugh Park.

BTW wasn't Jack Malia's father a guitar teacher, Lou Malia in Piscatawaytown?

EHS class of 62

Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,832 times
Hey guys I am wondering what's the name of that one run down trailer park on plainflied ave and route 1 behind the gas station across from the Mack truck building before they knocked it down ..there are no signs posted anywhere over there

Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
How about the "Plainfield-Edison" drive in movie on Oak Tree Rd..

Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
going way back Open Road Honda was a bus stop for Quaker City Bus Lines just over the Morris Goodkind bridge on rt. 1 north.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 AM

4 posts, read 9,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
Does anyone else remember the beer & wine distributor on Old Post Rd? It was a large garage with drive through service, and you'd drive into the building from the front and out the back. I remember as a kid mix & matching cases of Hammer soda to bring home. We'd return the glass bottles on our next visit and take home another case.
That was my first job. Worked there from 1977-1982. It was called Neighborhood Beverage Service. Sold all kinds of beer and soda there. It was a family-owned business. Great place to work. Lots of good memories.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 AM

4 posts, read 9,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKB_NJ View Post
I remember Stewards on Amboy Ave across from Carvel, The corner bar at Woodbridge and Amboy (can't remember the name) Italian Hot Dog place at Grandview and Rt.1 fishing at Roseovelt Park, Perth Amboy shopping, Plainfield Drive-in.
The corner bar was Shorty's Bar and Grill. My best friend was a bartender there in the late '70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey