U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 PM

197 posts, read 756,054 times

Advertisements

Monroe is filled with 55+ developments and is the nicer of the 2 towns. Jamesburg is a weird town. On one side of the road there are 500k homes and on the other side are shacks. How about that intersection by the train tracks? DOT better take a look at that one...Whats the crime rate in these 2 towns?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 PM

859 posts, read 3,138,201 times
I think Monroe is beautiful and everyone I know from Monroe is rolling the $$. I would think off hand the crime rate would be low there.

I don't know much about Jamesburg.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 14,865 times
I live in monroe and it is very nice... I feel safe aside from not wondering around the park at night (there are homelesss people living in the woods and a convicted sex felon on the other side on thompson park)
jamesburg..eh well it's a different story...where do you think that phrase came from "they live on the other side of a tracks" older towns actually work that way...on the east side of the tracks are nicer homes and is safer...the west side not so much...lately there has been a surge of crime in jamesburg... i grew up on the border of monroe and jamesburg and i have never seen it like this before...
at the local mom and pop drugstore the clerk was tied up, beaten, and had a lot of meds stolen. a cvs was an armed robbery and the local 711.
o and yes that intersection is quite bad... I have had a few close calls crossing it because no one knows who has the right of way.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:06 PM

31 posts, read 124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaalison View Post
I live in monroe and it is very nice... I feel safe aside from not wondering around the park at night (there are homelesss people living in the woods and a convicted sex felon on the other side on thompson park)
jamesburg..eh well it's a different story...where do you think that phrase came from "they live on the other side of a tracks" older towns actually work that way...on the east side of the tracks are nicer homes and is safer...the west side not so much...lately there has been a surge of crime in jamesburg... i grew up on the border of monroe and jamesburg and i have never seen it like this before...
at the local mom and pop drugstore the clerk was tied up, beaten, and had a lot of meds stolen. a cvs was an armed robbery and the local 711.
o and yes that intersection is quite bad... I have had a few close calls crossing it because no one knows who has the right of way.
I'm buying in Monroe Twp. and not familiar with different sections of the town yet. Can you please explain the town's east and west side in reference to exit 8A off the turnpike. The developemnt I'm moving in is off the Buckelew Ave ( RT. 522). I usually take exit 8A on to Forsgate (RT 611) and right on Buckelew after the railroad track. I think there's CVS on Forsgate and 7-11 on Buclelew, are you refering to those? Thanks.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkinjc View Post
I'm buying in Monroe Twp. and not familiar with different sections of the town yet. Can you please explain the town's east and west side in reference to exit 8A off the turnpike. The developemnt I'm moving in is off the Buckelew Ave ( RT. 522). I usually take exit 8A on to Forsgate (RT 611) and right on Buckelew after the railroad track. I think there's CVS on Forsgate and 7-11 on Buclelew, are you refering to those? Thanks.
if you are talking about 522 in jamesburg... further down 522 it gets nicer but thats mostly when you get back into monroe and head into manalapan. I mean it's not like you are going to get shot stepping out your door...i still go to the 711 on 522 at midnight.

but if you go towards downtown jamesburg and hit that light near the lake and dunkin donuts you will see railroad tracks...in the position you will be in at this light to the left of the RR is the nicer side...to the right (the side you will be on) isnt so nice...
but since you said you will be buying in monroe near 522 then i have a good feeling i know where you are talking about and that is a very nice area.

Edit: the CVS in talking about isnt the one on foresgate/perrineville... its the one on applegarth RD
monroe is kind of like a donut with a bite taken out of it...that bite would be the towns of jamesburg, a part of helmetta and spotswood.
for example if you do down main st starting in jamesburg you will be going though three towns but always if u make a right youll end up in monroe again.
I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions just ask!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,700,318 times
Monroe is a HUGE town and before all the million dollar homes, there were adult communities. Over the last five years both million dollar homes and adult communties were on the rise in the area because of the central location and abundance of land. I find that the adult communities tend to be near the East Windsor section of the township. Yes they are all over but there seem to be a lot over that way. I also find that the best homes in Monroe tend to be on the Jamesburg/Helmetta border with lots of new communities as well as off the main street in Jamesburg. Lots to choose from down there.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 AM

20 posts, read 64,810 times
Default Don't listen to people who put down Jamesburg!

I grew up in Old Bridge and moved to Jamesburg about 3 years ago, so I am not a "lifer" who has a jaded opinion. I bought here for a few key reasons:

-The quaint downtown (which could use more restaurants and bars but is still very functional). Most of the stores are owner-operated, which creates a nostalgic and customer friendly environment;
-The very nice and down-to-earth people. Before living here, I barely knew my neighbors. In Jamesburg, they come over to watch football games and cut my lawn without me asking!;
-The convenient location. We are within 3 minutes of Exit 8A on the Turnpike and within 10 minutes of various shopping centers on Routes 1, 130, 9 and 18.
-Contrary to popular belief, Jamesburg has one of the lowest crime rates in Middlesex County. The police have a huge presence and know when something is wrong. Sure there is a small issue here and there, but Jamesburg is just like any other town.
- The town is in the midst of a revitalization. They are renovating parks, adding decorative sidewalks to downtown, etc. New buildings are being built and the older ones are being restored. The county has plans to fix the crazy intersection and homeowners are improving their homes on every block.

If anyone is considering moving to the area, put Jamesburg at the top of the list!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM

1,328 posts, read 3,518,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaalison View Post
Could you go into details? Monroe doesn't really pop up in my mind when I think about homeless people. I didn't even know homeless people lived in the suburbs! Maybe I can imagine it in a suburb that's close to an urban area, but even that is a stretch.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 05-29-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,341,184 times
OK...I'm going a little batty here trying to remember something.

When I was a kid and my brothers were acting up, my Dad would threaten them by saying, "That's it, you boys are going to reform school in Jamesburg!" Or was it Yardville?

Anyone remember?

Shanny

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM

71 posts, read 254,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
OK...I'm going a little batty here trying to remember something.

When I was a kid and my brothers were acting up, my Dad would threaten them by saying, "That's it, you boys are going to reform school in Jamesburg!" Or was it Yardville?

Anyone remember?

Shanny
That's Jamesburg. And a new housing development has gone up right next to it. Guess it's perfect for new parents who are already anticipating the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey