Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,609 times

Advertisements

We are a couple moving to NYC area - we are looking for a 1BR aparment to rent - need help on what areas we should be looking in. Our requirements are reasonable commute to wall st (about an hour), safe neighborhood and a budget of ard $1500 per month. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
With that commute you have a lot of choices. You can be in Middlesex County, Somerset County, or a few others. New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Edison, North Brunswick, & Somerset all come to mind. A 1 Bedroom is possible to get for $1500. Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by tahiti; 09-06-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 118,003 times
there are manyh place in the tri-state area that can be closer. You try Secaucus, Rutherford, Garfield, Saddlebrook, Lodi, Maywood, Hackensack, Lyndhurst and many more. Each city can be better than the other depending what you are looking for. If you have any questions regarding these towns please do not hesitate to send me a PM

Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM

119 posts, read 240,436 times
Edison Village or Blueberry Village apartments are 5 minutes walk to Edison Train station that is about 45 minutes to NYC. So you may consider them, or nearby apartments such as Rivendell, Rivendell Village, Rivendell Heights, or Oxford Arms ...etc. You may also rent condos near Edison Train Station such as Edison Hollow South, Woodhaven, Edison Manor, Victoria Park, The Commons, Starpoint, Aspen Manor, Brookview Commons ...etc. I am sure you can find them in realtor.com or craigslist.org

Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Lots of choices in the $1500 range as long as you keep away from the high end Gold Coast stuff (Hoboken, etc.).
If you are already looking at Edison you might want to consider Metuchen too.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
With that commute you have a lot of choices. You can be in Middlesex County, Somerset County, or a few others. New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Edison, North Brunswick, & Somerset all come to mind.
I disagree with this recommendation relative to parts of Bergen County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENNGENE01 View Post
You try Secaucus, Rutherford, Garfield, Saddlebrook, Lodi, Maywood, Hackensack, Lyndhurst and many more. Each city can be better than the other depending what you are looking for.
I concur strongly on Rutherford and Lyndhurst. (note - no train service in Lodi or Maywood). See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranj063 View Post
Our requirements are reasonable commute to wall st (about an hour), safe neighborhood and a budget of ard $1500 per month.
The key phrase i see here is commute to Wall Street. I also assume 1hr means door-to-door.

I would HIGHLY recommend Rutherford or Lyndhurst/Kingsland. Frequent diesel NJT trains to Hoboken, plenty of options with ferries or PATH to Wall Street. Now commuting to Wall Street doesn't get any easier than that. Again I would focus heavy on Rutherford and Lyndhurst/Kingsland (i.e. Bergen County communities that go to Hoboken).

I would shy away from Edison/Metuchen (i.e. Northeast Corridor comunities) as this puts you further out and those trains really suit folks going MidTown (versus Wall Street).

Last edited by Spincycle; 09-05-2008 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Hackensack is a very doable commute and there are 3 train stations in Hackensack. From the Anderson street station a block west are a LOT of condos that may be for rent... Clinton Place is one of those streets and areas south of Clinton Place..

Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Hackensack is a very doable commute and there are 3 train stations in Hackensack. From the Anderson street station a block west are a LOT of condos that may be for rent... Clinton Place is one of those streets and areas south of Clinton Place..
True and you might even be able to get a nice APT also in River Edge or New Milford and drive to the North Hackensack station too. My uncle from S.W. Bergenfield (by NM, RE, Hack border) used to take the train from North Hackensack station to Hoboken/NYC years ago.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM

138 posts, read 610,567 times
Keep in mind the NE Corridor trains stop at Newark, where you can easily transfer to the Path to World Trade Center & then walk to Wall Street. It's not any more difficult than transferring Hoboken, although yes, it would be longer if you are coming from Edison vs. Lyndhurst. I live in Rahway & it takes me about an hour and 10 minutes - this includes driving to & parking at the train station, then a fairly long walk from WTC station to my office on Water Street. Last week I visited friends & got off at the Kingsland station; it was only about 10 minutes quicker given the train timing.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:24 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranj063 View Post
We are a couple moving to NYC area - we are looking for a 1BR aparment to rent - need help on what areas we should be looking in. Our requirements are reasonable commute to wall st (about an hour), safe neighborhood and a budget of ard $1500 per month. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
How about an update on where you wound up ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey