Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you tip your gas attendant?
I tip my gas attendant regularly. 6 8.70%
I tip my gas attendant once or twice a year. 7 10.14%
I have never (or hardly ever) tipped a gas attendant 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM

232 posts, read 612,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
HUGE difference. Restaurants pay waiters low rate because tips are customary and can be counted on as part of their income. Not the case for pumping gas.
THAT wasn't the point. The post by Jrz77 said the only reason to tip is when the service is "above and beyond". Seems to me that in the food service business, that is not applicable because everyone tips waiters/waitresses. Maybe the above and beyond doesn't apply there ? Maybe there is more to why to tip rather then just "above and beyond" ?

BTW, I know a couple of waiters/waitresses that are paid the federal minimum wage but work at small places where the number of customers is not that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM

293 posts, read 590,338 times
Default WAWA-Tipping

I live in Cape May County and I would tip the guy or girl who pumps my gas if they had a better attitude,I go to the WAWA all around my area,and they treat you like they dont even want you there.Most of the time its a punk kid who doesnt even answer you,look at you,or say thank you.Boy I miss the Mom and Pop stations of yesteryear when I was growing up in CMC.When they called you by your name,and really cared about you,and you being there.Heres a blast form the past Wildwood Crest,Delcontes,Coopers,Davis,Hollands.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
THAT wasn't the point. The post by Jrz77 said the only reason to tip is when the service is "above and beyond". Seems to me that in the food service business, that is not applicable because everyone tips waiters/waitresses. Maybe the above and beyond doesn't apply there ? Maybe there is more to why to tip rather then just "above and beyond" ?

BTW, I know a couple of waiters/waitresses that are paid the federal minimum wage but work at small places where the number of customers is not that high.
your point was silly. the poster clearly has a different standard for tipping at restaurants than at gas stations. just like almost everyone else in the world does.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM

232 posts, read 612,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
your point was silly. the poster clearly has a different standard for tipping at restaurants than at gas stations. just like almost everyone else in the world does.
Hey, Captain BJ, that's my point. It isn't about the service being above and beyond, it's different standards.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Honestly, most gas station NJ attendants are weirded out when you tip them (I know this from several friends who work at Wawa, all of whom found it weird and have only been tipped by out of staters so far), and the Wawa ones technically aren't allowed to accept tips.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Hey, Captain BJ, that's my point. It isn't about the service being above and beyond, it's different standards.
once again, your point is silly. in the case of a gas station attendant, its about service being above and beyond. in the case of a waiter or waitress, tipping is standard and maybe the amount can depend on whether or not service was above and beyond.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
problem? i think everyone feels that if someone wants to **** away their money thats their own personal choice. doesnt mean others cant have an opinion that its silly. i think its silly to be grateful to the guy pumping your gas but i would never stop anyone from doing it.
i guess your version of pissing money away is different than mine, thankfully.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
With New Jersey being one of the only states where it's illegal to pump your own gas, we may get to know the people who pump for us. How many of you tip them, how often, and how much?
I havent lived in NJ in over 20 years. As I recall most of the attendants dont really deserve a tip. I would rather pump my own gas in most cases. Try pulling into a WaWa at 3 AM there is one guy trying to pump gas for a bunch of different cars

Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i guess your version of pissing money away is different than mine, thankfully.

Interesting that adding '-ing' onto the end of that word suddenly allows it to be displayed!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 PM

97 posts, read 310,935 times
Quote:
So you feel the service at restaurants is "above and beyond" when you tip them 99% of the time ?
Yes I do. They ask me what I want to eat, bring me my food, if I have a problem with my food they will bring it back and make sure it's done to my liking, they ask how my food is, sometimes will give me a break on alcohol if I chose to drink, etc. To me that is going above and beyond.

Also they make below minimum wage and rely on tips to make a living. Everyone else makes at or above minimum wage so comparing waitressing to any other field is comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey