Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you tip your gas attendant?
I tip my gas attendant regularly. 6 8.70%
I tip my gas attendant once or twice a year. 7 10.14%
I have never (or hardly ever) tipped a gas attendant 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,956 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be rude but I would imagine there is a GOOD reason to tip your gas attendent, like the 40 year old station that is family owned, anything other then that I would have to say are you kidding me? Bad enough everyone has their hand out but... WOW! A GAS STATION ATTENDENT? H*ll no! no tip for you!! Thats like tipping the guy at the Dunkin Donuts, it's HIS job to make coffee he's not doing you a favor. It's optional to tip them not mandatory, I do tip there depending on whos working or if I have enough left over change, lately it's been pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Sorry to be rude but I would imagine there is a GOOD reason to tip your gas attendent, like the 40 year old station that is family owned, anything other then that I would have to say are you kidding me? Bad enough everyone has their hand out but... WOW! A GAS STATION ATTENDENT? H*ll no! no tip for you!! Thats like tipping the guy at the Dunkin Donuts, it's HIS job to make coffee he's not doing you a favor. It's optional to tip them not mandatory, I do tip there depending on whos working or if I have enough left over change, lately it's been pretty bad.
actually, i don't know about in NJ, but in PA, Dunkin Donuts employees don't get paid minimum wage, they are considered part of the work force that earns tips, so they don't have to pay them min wage. i was shocked when i found that out (when my sister worked there), so now i tip - especially since they memorized my order anyways and have it ready right after i walk in. lol

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,477 times
I think I have only tipped once or twice when the gas attendant cleaned my windshield and checked my oil for me. Those seem to have been lost services though, especially the checking of the oil.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

239 posts, read 467,931 times
With gas prices being so high, I think we are all paying enough for gas right now, the last thing we need to do is tip a gas attendant for simply pumping gas. I remember years ago when you use to pull into a gas station, they would clean your windows pop the hood check the oil . Now you are lucky to get these guys to say hello, they are usually to busy talking on their cell phones.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
With gas prices being so high, I think we are all paying enough for gas right now, the last thing we need to do is tip a gas attendant for simply pumping gas. I remember years ago when you use to pull into a gas station, they would clean your windows pop the hood check the oil . Now you are lucky to get these guys to say hello, they are usually to busy talking on their cell phones.
Sorry I'm not that old to remember them checking oil and being friendly lol however I have seen that stuff in "Back to the Future" lol.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I don't really think the gas law is "offensive" one way or the other, but it is wrong, and if protesting that upsets a few, so be it.

I prefer self service. It's vastly superior, hence existing in 48 states. I'm entitled to my opinion and you to yours.
@@

I wasn't referring to the gas law but to your life-guiding equation of "if that's the way it is in NJ, it's EVIL", but if you want to pretend I meant something else, I'll pretend with ya.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Sorry I'm not that old to remember them checking oil and being friendly lol however I have seen that stuff in "Back to the Future" lol.
dang you must be young then. i'm in my 20s and i remember windshield washing being almost a guarantee and oil checks frequently.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Your belief is that the majority of gas attendants are foreigners? Well, I haven't seen many pumping gas at Wawa.
The fact that Wawa has Americans working there is one of the many reasons I always get my gas there. The prices are great, too, but there's something good about a company that gives good, honest jobs to Americans. I find the service at Wawa stations is superior to almost all others.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
To me, it seems you've still missed my point... It's not about payment, it's about gratitude. If you're not gratuitous, then don't bother tipping. No problem. (As seen in the poll results, most people don't.)
I'm not particularly grateful that some guy is pumping my gas. In fact, I wish I could just pump it myself and not have to wait for him to come back, give me my credit card, tank the pump out of the tank, etc. Blah.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they bang my car with the nozzle
I had a gas station attendant in Pt. Pleasant do this to my brand new car a couple years ago. He took the metal end of the nozzle and tapped it on the gas tank to prompt me to release it, while my car was still running and not even parked yet, no less!

I got out of the car, took out my flashlight and went over it looking for a scratch. If there was a scratch on it, I would've called the police and filed a report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey