Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,988,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I found it personally disgusting when I read that they may sue the state university. Rutgers has no liability in this case. Either way I hope they never get a penny off this. Karma would come back to equalize things if they did.
Honestly, if they're going to sue anybody, it should be the kid Tyler roomed with...the one who maliciously bullied him (not that I'm a big fan of lawsuits in general). The only way that Rutgers would be liable is if Tyler requested to have a room/dorm change and Rutgers Housing denied his request...which could have possibly prevented the incident that made him decide to commit suicide. I don't know if he requested a room/dorm change though, don't remember hearing about that. Otherwise, Rutgers in NOT liable and the parents won't have a leg to stand on in the lawsuit. I also hope Tyler's parents rethink their decision on suing Rutgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM

88,014 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
The Rider Univ. case from a couple years ago already proved that. Lawyers...
Not familiar with that one.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As a parent, I find it hard to believe that money is their motivation. They lost a child, and I'm sure they want or need someone to blame just to help make some sort of sense of it all. They are misguided, but can anyone blame them after such a loss? Hopefully, they will come to their senses before this goes too far.
Welcome to the real world where parents will shave their kids heads, tell the world they have cancer and then try and get people to donate money. There are a lot of bad humans out there. Losing a child doesn't make them not bad.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM

88,014 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
As a parent, I find it hard to believe that money is their motivation. They lost a child, and I'm sure they want or need someone to blame just to help make some sort of sense of it all. They are misguided, but can anyone blame them after such a loss? Hopefully, they will come to their senses before this goes too far.
I'm sure you are correct--they are probably in the anger stage. However, it is only a short hop to greed when money is on the horizon. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just sue to force change if that's what they wanted? Besides having to pay the lawyers, of course.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not familiar with that one.
Hmmm I wonder if it was the brutal beating murder of a kid from boonton who was walking on campus and a bunch of gangbangers asked him for directions then killed him...Rider isn't in the best of neighborhoods....

Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
The Rider Univ. case from a couple years ago already proved that. Lawyers...
If what you are referring to is the case I'm thinking about you're saying those parents sued?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
The lawsuit stemming from the March 2007 death of a freshman pledge in an alleged fraternity hazing incident has been settled “amicably,” Rider announced yesterday.
A statement on the university Web site revealed that Rider, its insurance carrier and the family of Gary DeVercelly Jr. have reached a confidential settlement in the lawsuit DeVercelly, et al. v. Rider University, et al., that was pending in the Superior Court of New Jersey. No financial amount was disclosed to the public.
The family of Gary DeVercelly Jr. filed a wrongful death lawsuit naming the university; Ada Badgley, director of Greek Life; Cassie Iacovelli, former assistant dean of Campus Life who retired at the end of the 2008-2009 academic year; and Adriano DiDonato, former residence director and house director of the Phi Kappa Tau (PKT) fraternity house. The suit followed the March 30, 2007, death of DeVercelly. The 18-year-old died after a fraternity event in the PKT house where he accumulated a blood alcohol level of 0.426 percent.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Honestly, if they're going to sue anybody, it should be the kid Tyler roomed with...the one who maliciously bullied him (not that I'm a big fan of lawsuits in general). The only way that Rutgers would be liable is if Tyler requested to have a room/dorm change and Rutgers Housing denied his request...which could have possibly prevented the incident that made him decide to commit suicide. I don't know if he requested a room/dorm change though, don't remember hearing about that. Otherwise, Rutgers in NOT liable and the parents won't have a leg to stand on in the lawsuit. I also hope Tyler's parents rethink their decision on suing Rutgers.

exactly, if they wanted to legitimately sue, they would just sue the kids that put the video on the internet. but you sue the university because the university has deep pockets. its all about money.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,030,089 times
Quote:
I understand your point relating to the death of a child, and I'm sure some of the motivation on this is an effort to bring a semblance of closure through a negligence suit. Sadly, this notice has already turned public opinion around on them on several social media sites such as Twitter. The "Rutgers" hashtag blew up when this was announced with lots of commentary on turning sympathy to scorn and making a decision that will take away from the memory of their son in the long run.

What really ticks me off, though, isn't so much the intent to sue by the parents as it is the fact that the lawyer who is working on this suit is a 1974 graduate of Rutgers-Camden School of Law. Way to screw over your alma mater, even if it is the main campus.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,184 times
I don't know the full story but this is senseless. How are you going to sue a school for your son's actions. He probably killed himself bc his family didn't accept him. See, he should have been my friend because I would have given him so many reasons to live. When I told my mom I like women, she didn't accept it. As I got older, I said f that. I'm living my life for me. There are so many people that frown upon homosexual relationships. Why?? Oh, bc the bible said its an abomination. Well I can sure go on and on about other things in this world that are not pleasing in God's eye. These parents need to think about what they're doing because suing the school will not bring him back. Was he being tortured at school? Money hungry people don't get far in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey