Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
If God didn't want humans to be eaten by Tigers he wouldn't have made humans out of meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
If God didn't want humans to be eaten by Tigers he wouldn't have made humans out of meat
I'm pretty sure a hungry tiger would eat a human if it had the chance.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I'd like to see an extention the on deer hunting season. Last week in Netcong I witnessed another one hit by a car just laying there in the road kicking while waitng to die. Not to mention the damage to the car and potential damage to the car's occupants.

Since you can't carry a firearm your only options to put it out of it's misery are a jack handle to the head, wait for a cop to arrive while it lays there in terror and pain or just go on about your business and let it expire in due time.

As far as the bears, culling is a viable means of population control.

Since we don't live in Red China people are still going to breed as they see fit and build where they want to live.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:11 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope...
While in college in my psychology class, I was taught that hunters hunt, first and foremost, to subjugate their killing instincts............what do you think?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'd like to see an extention the on deer hunting season. Last week in Netcong I witnessed another one hit by a car just laying there in the road kicking while waitng to die. Not to mention the damage to the car and potential damage to the car's occupants.

Since you can't carry a firearm your only options to put it out of it's misery are a jack handle to the head, wait for a cop to arrive while it lays there in terror and pain or just go on about your business and let it expire in due time.

As far as the bears, culling is a viable means of population control.

Since we don't live in Red China people are still going to breed as they see fit and build where they want to live.
I agree with what you say in large part, but as to your last point, I think moderation is needed here. Yes, there is no legal limit on reproduction and most construction, but citizens of this country must have a bit of foresight as well. If you have a second mortgage and are on food stamps, you probably shouldn't have four kids. If you move into a rural area and build a McMansion, you are probably going to encounter stray wildlife. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope...
I agree SICK COWARDS!! And I am NO liberal but they are sick. Slobs, destroy the woods, you should see the garage these hunters so called leave in the woods.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
baiting the bears with food, this is hunting????? Wow thats a hard job!!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:53 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
"Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope..."

Someone doesn't know too much about Karma, huh?

All that 'hatered' for bear hunters and bear hunt supporters will be coming around to bite you.

"I'm pretty sure a hungry tiger would eat a human if it had the chance"

Chances are the tiger would just take a big bite in a critical area of the body and walk away. Just like a shark that makes an 'oops!' and embarassedly admits to its fin-mate. "well he looked just like a seal in that black wet suit, how was I supposed to know!".

I hear rumors of a prominent anti-bear hunt person whose trial, for feeding bears, has been continuously postponed and move to different courts. Wonder if that is true? You know, one of the people who preach about saving bears by not feeding the bears.

Anyone ever measure the effectiveness of the 85K of taxpayer money Corzine decided to spend on black bear education ?

Wonder if the NJEA was involved? or would that be the NJBBEA?

We need opposition to mainstream ideas to keep the discussion viable but the idea is not to allow fractured minority opinion to control the issues. Tahnkfully much of that obstructive cloud has been wiped away in the last governor's election and the last national election this past November.

Now if we could just shift all the hatred of killing, to the streets of Newark, things might just improve. We could start with another 85K of educational materials but like the black bears the prospective killers will probably ignore the handouts.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
I feel there is more of a disregard for "hunters" than there is for the reduction of the bear population. I remember seeing a lot of stories on the news last year about bears wandering around suburban neighborhoods and as long as the government is going to support expansion into the wooded areas of NJ, then they also have a responsibility to propect the people who move into those developements from wild animals. They are simply doing what they are put into place to do.

As I stated earlier, what I get from this forum thread is that there is more hatred out there for the hunter than the idea that some bears have to be killed in order to control the population. What would be better... trapping them and then injecting them with something to put them to sleep? Or should the governement just let them run wild until someone is killed by a bear in a Target parking lot?... It's sort of like the saying goes "hate the game, not the player".

Im not saying that its right, but it seems necessary.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Hummmm...I always say I'm not going to get involved in these hunter bashing threads, but alas... Full disclosure-I grew up hunting in New Jersey and continue to do so for a variety of reasons which include supplying my family with high quality, low cost, completely organic and hormone/antibiotic free meat, managing the deer herd in a responsible way, and simply enjoying New Jersey's remaining wild spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
How do people here feel about the fact that we are killing our bears, and it is a State Mandate.
It's not a "state mandate," no one is being ordered into the woods to hunt bears. Bear hunting is permitted in New York State and Pennsylvania and virtually all of New England as well, as so it's not as if New Jersey is doing anything out of the ordinary. Hunting is simply being used as a management tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I think its wrong, am totally against bear killing, there are better solutions.
What are those solutions? Have you spoken with fish and wildlife about them? How much will they cost? Will taxpayers support this idea? These are questions that are seldom addressed when people propose alternative solutions to management via hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Who wants to destroy wildlife and nature in NJ? Hunters are the last people to want that type of existence.
Excellent point-I am an animal lover and a hunter-only in the last 40 years or so have we as a society looked at these things as mutually exclusive-they're not. Read the works of men like Theodore Roosevelt, Gifford Pinchot, and Aldo Leopold, and you'll see why.

"To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
What do they do with the bears once they hunt them? I'm from PA, and we had bears in our back yard quite regularly. We had larger properties, but not giganticly larger properties. I'm not sure which towns in NJ have these big bear problems, as I haven't followed the news on this, but I think they could come up with better solutions for monitoring the population.
Again, what are the solutions, how much do they cost, and are people willing to pay for them? More importantly, do they work? Nearly 600 of the nearly 3,500 bears in the state were killed during this year's hunt. That is a definitive result.

Quote:
I'm not anti-hunting, but if there is no purpose for the hunt (hunt deer, eat venison), then I don't see the point.
The purpose is management. Why are you under the impression that bear meat is not eaten?

Quote:
When we start hunting animals because they're encroaching our space - it's time to take a step back and remember...we encroached theirs, so now we have to figure out a way to exist with them. Stop developing in those areas maybe?
That is not the only reason to hunt animals. Managing their numbers and the health of the population are two other very important reasons. New Jersey's deer herd is not all that healthy right now due to overpopulation, scarcity of food, etc...We humans created this problem by development which creates "edge habitat" which drives up deer population. Prior to Europeans arriving in North America, typical deer densities averaged around 10 deer per square mile-in New Jersey we have about 40 deer per square mile, which creates problems for us as well as the deer.

Quote:
Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course. The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope...
Or possibly just people who enjoy being outdoors, having a connection to nature, the land, and where their food comes from. Hunters don't maim animals by the way-what purpose would that serve. A wounded animal that flees doesn't supply you with any meat. I'd also like to add that this is an interesting point of view coming from someone who appears to enjoy the rodeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
While in college in my psychology class, I was taught that hunters hunt, first and foremost, to subjugate their killing instincts............what do you think?
What do you mean by "subjugate their killing instincts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey