Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times

Advertisements

What's the going rate these days? $25 a piece..or am I being a cheapskate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
You nailed it. I gave them 25 each.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:08 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
I give $25 to my newspaper carrier and for the first time this year, gave my UPS guy $25. (He delivers tons of stuff to me.) I also give $25 to the apartment complex super.

For the mail, it's a little complicated because there's no regular carrier for my complex, and they all come at wildly varying times. I also read that mail carriers are not supposed to accept cash gifts. I left two boxes of Trader Joe's chocolates ($20) in my mailbox with a card for all the carriers to share. I felt I had to give something, as I put them to work too. (I have about 30 or so magazine subscriptions.)

I don't have to really worry about the garbage crew. I throw the garbage in the big dump with everyone else and every couple of days it disappears. When I was a kid, my parents tipped the garbage men, who were regulars. I think they gave them about $20. (Some 30 years ago. They were generous.)

Old 12-25-2010, 08:00 PM

88,520 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I gave my mailman $20. Maybe I was cheap. Then again, I've only lived here since July. Next year I'll do better.

Technically, no, I don't think they are supposed to take cash, but they do. People also give them liquor, candy, gift cards, etc. My sister's ex was a mail carrier.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
i feel bad i havent given any of them much lately

most of it comes down to trying to get them in person
UPS guys are so quick
garbage come too early
and mailman comes when im out or working

20 is good and itsa nice even increment

Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,619 times
Well,........I routinely do not tip as I figure they are making a good wage. I had a mail man indicate to me a couple of years ago he made well over $1,000 in tips, and knew mail men who made much more.

In these tough economic times, there are those who are significantly less fortunate to the point they rely on others for a simple meal; so, instead, I send the tip money, along with my usual donations, to the Monmouth-Ocean Food Bank and St. Gregory's Pantry.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Well,........I routinely do not tip as I figure they are making a good wage. I had a mail man indicate to me a couple of years ago he made well over $1,000 in tips, and knew mail men who made much more.

In these tough economic times, there are those who are significantly less fortunate to the point they rely on others for a simple meal; so, instead, I send the tip money, along with my usual donations, to the Monmouth-Ocean Food Bank and St. Gregory's Pantry.
Good for you. I used to donate to two food pantries/soup kitchens in north Jersey--now that I'm in Monmouth, I'm not familiar with which ones exist down here, although the church I've been attending takes nonperishable foods and gives them to a pantry in Long Branch, so thanks for posting those two organizations.

I've never in my life missed a meal, and there are so many people who don't have enough money for food right now.

I'm not rich compared to a lot of other people, but I've got a decent job, a roof, heat, food, a comfortable bed...sometimes it's good to make that inventory.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I give $25 to my newspaper carrier and for the first time this year, gave my UPS guy $25. (He delivers tons of stuff to me.) I also give $25 to the apartment complex super.

For the mail, it's a little complicated because there's no regular carrier for my complex, and they all come at wildly varying times. I also read that mail carriers are not supposed to accept cash gifts. I left two boxes of Trader Joe's chocolates ($20) in my mailbox with a card for all the carriers to share. I felt I had to give something, as I put them to work too. (I have about 30 or so magazine subscriptions.)

I don't have to really worry about the garbage crew. I throw the garbage in the big dump with everyone else and every couple of days it disappears. When I was a kid, my parents tipped the garbage men, who were regulars. I think they gave them about $20. (Some 30 years ago. They were generous.)
Wow! I feel like I barely keep up with reading the 3 magazines that I get!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
For the mail carriers I left homemade cookies & candy wrapped up on my porch with a little card that said Thanks for all you do. They are accustomed to being "gifted" this way, I believe.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
For the mail carriers I left homemade cookies & candy wrapped up on my porch with a little card that said Thanks for all you do. They are accustomed to being "gifted" this way, I believe.
Yes, I think so, and I think they are appreciative of that. I would be!

I am not accustomed to "gifted" being used as a verb, though, and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey