Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 42,540 times

Advertisements

Any comments, info. on the recent 're-development' projects in East Orange. Has there been any real improvements in the crime rates? has it gone down?
How are the rents in East Orange for a decent 650sq 1 bedroom condo?
Hows the public transportation to the neary by NJ Transit to board a NY bound train?
I am looking to buy a 1 bedroom condo in one of those 'gated' buildings. Its by the new police station. Any suggestion on the prices for a 1 bedroom 650 sq condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM
VNY

5 posts, read 29,305 times
Smile East Orange

I moved here 2 years ago and find it a very good place to live. The prices are affordable and transit to NYC is close, easy and frequent. Brick Church is a larger station on the rail line and is served by Express trains to NYC. The East Orange station is smaller and only served by local trains.

Crime has gone down in an unprecedented way for a City our size over the past 3 years. It is stilll a City and I still have an alarm on my house set every time I leave but I don't feel unsafe at all, even when I am on the streets alone.

I was looking at buying on S. Munn Ave when I first moved to town but the redevelopment projects were not ready for move-in yet. Make sure you have a parking space with your condo if you have a car because there is no on street parking between 2AM and 6AM.

Hope you decide to live here!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNY View Post
I moved here 2 years ago and find it a very good place to live. The prices are affordable and transit to NYC is close, easy and frequent. Brick Church is a larger station on the rail line and is served by Express trains to NYC. The East Orange station is smaller and only served by local trains.

Crime has gone down in an unprecedented way for a City our size over the past 3 years. It is stilll a City and I still have an alarm on my house set every time I leave but I don't feel unsafe at all, even when I am on the streets alone.

I was looking at buying on S. Munn Ave when I first moved to town but the redevelopment projects were not ready for move-in yet. Make sure you have a parking space with your condo if you have a car because there is no on street parking between 2AM and 6AM.
Hope you decide to live here!
Is it really no street parking, or is when all the cars get stolen? I looked at Empire View when I thought I was going to be a brave pioneer and move to E.O.

It's true that the city has improved, but it has a LONG, VERY LONG way to go, and it's still a dump.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:34 AM

67 posts, read 344,142 times
One of the many things I dislike about E.O....
There is no overnight parking..(on the street). However, you can call the police station and get an exception for guests if necessary. They have controls in place so that this cannot be abused by residents.

Many of the apartment building owners gouge their tenants with expensive monthly parking fees.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 28,450 times
Empire View,, anyone have any good or bad comments about this condo? Where it's located and things like that? Comments appreciated

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 27,780 times
I still would NOT consider EO. I've live in the area for over 3o years. I hope that all of the redevelopment brings some pop back to EO but for now, it remains a daylight only area.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 51,483 times
Default I live in EO and plan to stay

For everyone's information, the parking rules apply to almost every town in the area - Maplewood, South Orange, Millburn all have the same "no overnight parking" rule. It is annoying but now I get it. After moving to this area from Philly I was very much annoyed that people could not park outside my home if they stayed overnight while I lived in Maplewood. However, it does keep things a bit quieter and calmer.

I have now lived in EO for the past 10 years. I live on a high floor of a building that I pray will go condo as the city evolves. I have seen the changes good and bad over these last 10 years and can definitely feel and see the change for the positive in the last 2-3 years. I am loving the view that I have of all the cranes and construction work going on - it all means progress and promise. And, I don't think my parking fees are high at all. I pay less for each car than I paid in downtown Philly more than 20 years ago - $106 per car for indoor parking. To me this is a steal. I can pay that for parking 2 DAYS in NYC!

As for those who fear EO, just like any other urban area there are places I feel comfortable and other places I don't. I have lived in big cities most of my life and don't feel anymore threat here than anywhere else. As a matter of fact the towns that turn their noses up at EO have their own issues and quietly kept crime rates. Part of the fear is of the racial mix, so leave these folks to their fears. They will have their fears and biases no matter what.

People ask me why I chose to live here. I live here because I am a Black woman and want to live in a racially diverse area. I grew up in nice neighborhoods that always had a mix of incomes and, therefore, showed kids a mix of options for themselves. I volunteer to work with kids here and want to do more to contribute to the positive direction taken by the city. NJ is the most racially segregated place I have ever lived, and I came from the South originally so this is saying something. Most towns are too homogenous for my taste so EO suits me fine.

I do admit, however, until there is a decent supermarket and other services, unfortunately, my spending money goes elsewhere. But, when the new building opens by 280, with the supermarket, I'll be in line for first dibs! Mayor Bowser knows he has to get services back here and he is working on it.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Well East orange dosnt have bad crime anymore, not that it ever had bad crime. Irvington is the new big thing with its HUGE crime rate, im from newark and thats alays been high in crime but EO is good and its house cost is probably one of the lowest in the state. People would call EO a ghetto because of its substantial amounts of African Americans buts thats steryotypical because the community is great.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,267 times
Default Undecided

I'm considering moving to East Orange myself, because of the ridiculous housing prices in surrounding areas. I spend a lot of time in the city itself already. Is there crime? Absolutely, a few months ago there were three killings in two weeks, all gang related nonetheless. Still it was annoying when I tried to get through halsted and it was taped off as a murder scene. It let's you know where you are. There is a whole lot of redevelopment going on which I hope will pick things up a bit. I have friends who moved into the apartments in N. Munn and moved out within the two weeks time, due to the fact that mother was robbed and the son was beat-up(two different instances), both times the cops were called and never even came. That let's you know that you are in the ghetto. And my experience is that when the cops do come, they take their sweet time and don't really do anything. If you're gonna move to E.O. I'd move into a neighbouhood near bloomfield or glenridge, for the simple fact that you can call there police department if anything happens. Other than that, yeah you can get a steal on a house and the taxes ain't bad at all. But like the lady from Philly said there ain't no decent place to shop at all. Even if you just wanna get dinner there is no selection. There's pretty much chinese, fried chicken, bad pizza or fast food. The metro city diner is new and ain't bad though. I think in a few years you're gonna see it come up, I hope at least. EO has some great buildings that just need some TLC. And the city is full of renters which ain't good, EO needs some more owners that have something invested into the city. I think it's at a turning point right now. If all keeps going up it's gonna be a great place to live, but if funding backs out now or the city falls to lure back owners and business' it's gonna be same old for EO.

But yeah it's a typical city in most aspects, yougot your good honest people and you got your crackheads and gangbangers. If you're just looking for cheap rent I guess it's good you can get a huge 2 bdr on N. Munn for $750 which includes heat and hotwater (no parking though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey