U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 11,242,082 times

Advertisements

Well the gov. and the lt. gov go on vacation at the same time. As our fearless leader was sitting on Mickeys lap in Disney and his sidekick was trying on sombreros in Mexico people were stranded in cars for up to 2 days. He wants to cut waste, I could save him some money. Tell that useless Lt. Governor she is not needed along with her useless staff and they could take that 15 million and buy another 20 snow plows. Talk about screwups I guess when he get's off of Mickey's lap he'll blame the union snow plowers as doing this on purpose. How the heck can the top 2 elected officials go out of state at the same time on vacation. He just proved that that bloated agency is not needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,533,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well the gov. and the lt. gov go on vacation at the same time. As our fearless leader was sitting on Mickeys lap in Disney and his sidekick was trying on sombreros in Mexico people were stranded in cars for up to 2 days. He wants to cut waste, I could save him some money. Tell that useless Lt. Governor she is not needed along with her useless staff and they could take that 15 million and buy another 20 snow plows. Talk about screwups I guess when he get's off of Mickey's lap he'll blame the union snow plowers as doing this on purpose. How the heck can the top 2 elected officials go out of state at the same time on vacation. He just proved that that bloated agency is not needed.
i'm guessing he has a blackberry. or a computer. or some sort of communication device that most people in the year 2010 have to be able to take care of things while on the road...

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm guessing he has a blackberry. or a computer. or some sort of communication device that most people in the year 2010 have to be able to take care of things while on the road...
Being on the scene giving orders is usually more effective then playing with a toy on Mickeys lap or asking for a large sombrero in Cabo.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Being on the scene giving orders is usually more effective then playing with a toy on Mickeys lap or asking for a large sombrero in Cabo.
so the governor has to dispatch the plows? don't they have a division of the government that handles that planning and execution? all the acting gov did was declare the state of emergency, which provides cities a way to recoup excess costs in the cleanup process...really not that complicated.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM

607 posts, read 858,040 times
So - is Christie not supposed to go on vacation? Or should he be required to check the long-range forcast first?

Exaclty how many plows do you expect Christie, Gudagno (or for that matter, Sweeney) to drive to clear the roads?

BTW - as to your comment about cutting waste, Guadagno is not paid as Lt. Gov. She is on salary as Secretary of State.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so the governor has to dispatch the plows? don't they have a division of the government that handles that planning and execution? all the acting gov did was declare the state of emergency, which provides cities a way to recoup excess costs in the cleanup process...really not that complicated.
My point IS they BOTH shouldn't be out of state at the same time. The state constitution READS the gov. or lt. gov. cannot give executive orders from out of state SO my argument IS they both shouldn't BE OUT OF STATE AT THE SAME TIME. It's simple. What a lack of command. People on here will defend the governor no matter what. It's amazing.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
My point IS they BOTH shouldn't be out of state at the same time. The state constitution READS the gov. or lt. gov. cannot give executive orders from out of state SO my argument IS they both shouldn't BE OUT OF STATE AT THE SAME TIME. It's simple. What a lack of command. People on here will defend the governor no matter what. It's amazing.
i don't even like him that much, so i'm not defending him. i just don't see what the issue is. yeah, it's probably not great that both are on vacation at the same time, but they have an established heirarchy for that reason.

Now, I'm fully on board with criticizing the state's handling of the storm, but I don't think Christie being in FL caused a poorer response than normal. I just think NJ is horrible at handling snow.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM

I think they lifted the state of emergency to quick and the results were more people on the roads messing up the plowing capabilities. Whereas if one of the big cheeses were available they might of have a more direct line with the transportation boss. The reason behind the Lt. Gov. thing is one should be available at ALL TIMES. Sure they are both entitled to vacations and time off. You don't give the both doctors off in the hospital, don't give off the 2 cops in a car, and so on. This just proved that her position is useless. People are still trapped in their houses and people are clogging up the roads going to 7-11 to buy coffee. You have to be in it to realize the extent of the trouble. Senoir citizens communities haven't been touched with plows yet. I could go on and on.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think they lifted the state of emergency to quick and the results were more people on the roads messing up the plowing capabilities. Whereas if one of the big cheeses were available they might of have a more direct line with the transportation boss. The reason behind the Lt. Gov. thing is one should be available at ALL TIMES. Sure they are both entitled to vacations and time off. You don't give the both doctors off in the hospital, don't give off the 2 cops in a car, and so on. This just proved that her position is useless. People are still trapped in their houses and people are clogging up the roads going to 7-11 to buy coffee. You have to be in it to realize the extent of the trouble. Senoir citizens communities haven't been touched with plows yet. I could go on and on.
i don't know what it's like where you are, and what roads aren't plowed, but my town has cleared most of the roads, and all main roads are clear. we got about 25 inches.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,639,043 times
Hey, we're doing OK here in West Jersey, hope the Gov's enjoy their vacation. Seriously though, this is all about perspective. If you're snowed in and the response in your area is inadequate you want to start pointing fingers. Reality is, there isn't much either the Governor or Lt. Governor can do other than show "leadership" by riding on a plow truck and talking to the media. As it is the state is already doing the best it can given the situation. Do changes need to be made, obviously. Is it anything they can really change now, not really.

FWIW since both are on vacation, Sweeney is the acting Governor. If you want to point fingers over the lifting of the state of emergency, that would have been his call. Since Sweeney was in charge, does that mean we can blame the snow on the Democrats?

I personally think Christie made a political blunder by not flying back to NJ and giving the appearance of taking control. I also realize that there really isn't anything he could do to make things better right now. What you are asking for is essentially a placebo to see someone in control. I don't want to make the Bush-Katrina comparison, but it is sort of the same thing. Bush couldn't waive his hand and "fix" the issues immediately following Katrina, but he could have done a heck of a better job making it look like he was involved and showing leadership. You think after that whole fiasco politicians would have learned that appearance is far better than reality.

On a side note, I actually got a chuckle from the news this morning. Turns out Moscow is socked in by a massive ice storm that has caused huge delays at the airports. Putin responded by chiding the airport authority and cancelling the planned New Year's vacations of all members of the cabinet until the situation is resolved and future plans are developed. Obviously the cabinet of the Russian government can't do much about de-icing airplanes and runways. However, the move gives the appearance that the authorities are taking charge and people who are "responsible" are being punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey