Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,154 times

Advertisements

just got laid off and in need of a job.
was accounts payable and is experienced in all aspect in the accounting/bookkeeping area. also good at general office functions. computer literate.
open to full time and part time, perm or temp, contact me for any possible position.
many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Good luck, I haven't been in those shoes in about a decade, but these days there are lots of jobs listed online including some websites that only handle jobs that pay in the six figures range.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

777 posts, read 2,381,853 times
Don't think this site is going to be the place to find a job. Try Monster, Hotjobs, etc. Craig's List also has jobs listed, although I don't always trust that site's listings as being legit. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Indeed.com aggregates all the jobs from the various job boards and it's probably the best place to start. Make a list of important key words in your field and try them. Make sure you save several versions of your resume and insert the same key words from the job ad into your resume and cover letter. Companies are so inundated in this lousy economy that they screen resumes and only contact you if your resume matches a certain number of key words. You might have to go through 1 or 2 phone screenings before you even get in to speak to a live person. They're being super-picky.

Also, if you're searching on these sites and a job comes out today, apply to it immediately. I had a corporate recruiter tell me they put jobs out on a Friday, get so many resumes in 2 days and pull the ad on a Monday. There's no such thing as "pounding the pavement" as there was in the old days. Work all your contacts - family, co-workers, friends - and also sign up on linkedin.com if you have not already.

I found most of those job fairs to be useless unless you know of a specific company you want to work for

It's tough out there but I was re-hired after a layoff so it takes great persistence.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,154 times
thanks everybody, i have tried all the search engines. actually, i have been looking for job since i have learned about the situation of my company a few months ago, but nothing, really nothing. i've heard that there are companies still hiring, but i guess they are not really hiring the outsiders, but only insiders. i don't know where to go for those openings.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

417 posts, read 456,058 times
Sorry to hear that. I can only add that in my experience, I would agree about monster.com, careerbuilder.com. and sometimes craigslist(but as others have mentioned, it sometimes can be a bit questionable). I never did go to any job fiars but also heard that they were really pretty useless.
I guess you just have to keep at it and I wish you luck in finding a new position. I do know it is tough out there so just persevere.. like I told a friend of mine, figure on applying to 100 positions and hopefully you will at least get an interview. then keep going at it. Again, I wish you luck in finding something.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM

286 posts, read 851,622 times
Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. I was laid off in Jan 2009. Several months later, a recruiter found my resume on monster.com and I got a consulting job at JP Morgan. It only lasted 8 months. Then a person I met through a friend in Linked-In got me the job at CB Richard Ellis June of 2010. I got a pay cut but I am fully employed.

Job sites like monster.com, careerbuilder.com do work. You have to keep your resume updated on a weekly basis as recruiters prefer to tap people who are current. One way to update your resume is to simply delete and add a period. SImple and it keeps your resume on "top of the pile". Many of my jobs in my career were from recruiters who found me on these sites.

Network. Join Linked-In and build your network from friends and former co-workers. They could connect you with someone that can help you. Join groups of people in your field and with other unemployed people.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey