Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

then why not just call whoever is sending the checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:14 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Probably because they can't get through on the phone, the pension system wants to do everything on line. I had money in there but wasn't vested. You have to have some sort of indentification number to log on.

Most people aren't even aware of the ERISA act, until they actually go to retire.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Most people take a survivor benefit. In fact the spouse has to sign off if the retiree takes a pension that ends with their death.
I just filed. (Not NJ). No spouse so no survivor benefit. I get the max pension but when I'm dead, it's dead too.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just filed. (Not NJ). No spouse so no survivor benefit. I get the max pension but when I'm dead, it's dead too.
Did they ask if you were married? I had to send copy of my divorce agreement with a pension application.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Did they ask if you were married? I had to send copy of my divorce agreement with a pension application.
They asked and I said I was divorced so he just checked the box. In NJ you have to be married for 13 years for a former spouse to get their mitts on your pension. I was legally married for 11.

They didn't ask for the papers, though.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
They asked and I said I was divorced so he just checked the box. In NJ you have to be married for 13 years for a former spouse to get their mitts on your pension. I was legally married for 11.

My mom was married twice (married to my dad until his death). Both spouses died before she could collect (all 3 were in the state/county pension plan). She did the math and collecting on the EX was the best deal so she did it. I always found that weird, and she could do nothing but laugh and think he was rolling in his grave knowing she was collecting off him.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:

If you had told them you were married, (and were), then there would have been some options that may have reduced your pension, but guaranteed a pension to your spouse. Your spouse would have had to sign off regardless of which option you had taken.
It's weird, I get 2 pensions and Social Security, the 1 pension wanted the divorce agreements, the second one didn't. Neither did Social Security???
The pension that wanted the copies of the divorce offered me a couple of options if I had taken a reduction. I could have had a 10yr guarantee, left to a person of my choice, and then 2 reductions also left to a person of my choice. The 2nd pension only has the 10yr guarantee, with no choice, whether or not I would have gotten a higher payment.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
If you had told them you were married, (and were), then there would have been some options that may have reduced your pension, but guaranteed a pension to your spouse. Your spouse would have had to sign off regardless of which option you had taken.

Um, yeah, I'm certainly aware of that so I don't get why you are "informing" me of this...I just filed on December 23 so it's all fresh in my mind, and they've been sending me the "Options" information for years now anyway. It doesn't matter. I'm not married and my ex has no claim on my pension, so I took the Single Allowance option.

Quote:
It's weird, I get 2 pensions and Social Security, the 1 pension wanted the divorce agreements, the second one didn't. Neither did Social Security???

The pension that wanted the copies of the divorce offered me a couple of options if I had taken a reduction. I could have had a 10yr guarantee, left to a person of my choice, and then 2 reductions also left to a person of my choice. The 2nd pension only has the 10yr guarantee, with no choice, whether or not I would have gotten a higher payment.

Maybe Social Security knows all! I can't collect SS for years because I'm not old enough.

A woman I worked with suddenly started getting a check in the mail each month from her ex-husband's Social Security. She looked into it, and here it turned out that SS was taking money out from her ex's check for child support owed from years before. He wouldn't pay, and she had tried to collect and filed papers, but he had found ways to dodge it, and she never got the child support he owed. Her son was now 35 years old, but the ex had retired and filed for SS and somehow they had the information that he owed this old child support and was taking it out of his check and sending it to her.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Um, yeah, I'm certainly aware of that so I don't get why you are "informing" me of this...I just filed on December 23 so it's all fresh in my mind, and they've been sending me the "Options" information for years now anyway. It doesn't matter. I'm not married and my ex has no claim on my pension, so I took the Single Allowance option.

Maybe Social Security knows all! I can't collect SS for years because I'm not old enough.

A woman I worked with suddenly started getting a check in the mail each month from her ex-husband's Social Security. She looked into it, and here it turned out that SS was taking money out from her ex's check for child support owed from years before. He wouldn't pay, and she had tried to collect and filed papers, but he had found ways to dodge it, and she never got the child support he owed. Her son was now 35 years old, but the ex had retired and filed for SS and somehow they had the information that he owed this old child support and was taking it out of his check and sending it to her.
Now this I love to hear.

Best of luck in your retirement MQ! You've put in the years, you deserve it.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
you government employees and fancy shmancy pensions! i will be eating cat food from retirement to the day i leave this planet and go to valhalla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey