U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 61,673 times

Advertisements

During our home search process, we came across a home that looked great in the online pictures posted on the various online MLS sites.

When we visited the home, we found that the landscaping was lacking and the yard had little or no grass. On closer re-inspection of the online pics again, we noticed that the grass had been air-brushed/photo-shopped in the pictures! (This was way back in the summer)

Is this an ethical/legal practice in the real-estate industry?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM

505 posts, read 2,251,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhomer View Post
During our home search process, we came across a home that looked great in the online pictures posted on the various online MLS sites.

When we visited the home, we found that the landscaping was lacking and the yard had little or no grass. On closer re-inspection of the online pics again, we noticed that the grass had been air-brushed/photo-shopped in the pictures! (This was way back in the summer)

Is this an ethical/legal practice in the real-estate industry?
I would have to say that it varies from Realtor to Realtor how they advertise their listings. I've been told that it's ok to photoshop things out of photos that are moveable and not included in the sale (ie old beat up car that's not included in the sale or a blanket that they forgot to move before taking a picture) and that it is ok. If they photoshopped the grass to make it appear greener I don't think that's a big deal...now if they added a deck or a pool, or took out high tension lines or a commercial building behind the house that's a different story.

Personally I make it a point to never alter anything in my photos as I feel there is no "truth in advertising" when you do.

Happy home hunting!

~Joey

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM

14,781 posts, read 40,329,223 times
When house hunting I ran into a similar issue. Home was very nice and had an inground pool. The listing had 25 photos, including 5 of the pool, showing a beautiful sparkling summer oasis. Realtor pulled the listing and buried in the notes was the comment that pool photos were from 2007 and pool was now not operable and needed $13k in repairs. Hey, at least they noted it.

So, I would say that it is always a case of don't believe it until you see it. Personally I am not against it per se, if the fact the pics are altered is mentioned in the listing.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM

12,546 posts, read 20,203,574 times
a friend of mine saw a listing that used some professional photography trickery to make scenary look better. honestly, there's nothing wrong with it. it's misleading, but if i take a picture of my living room when i'm selling a house, and i use photo editing to make the color of the wall jump better than the camera can capture, it's helping catch the eye.

and in the end, what difference does it make? if you don't like the paint, you'll paint. if the grass isn't green enough for you, you'll fertilize....

is staging a home ethical? all sorts of techniques are used to peak interest and show the potential of the house. that's why you don't buy a house without going to look at it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey