Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 105,528 times

Advertisements

Good Day everyone & Happy New Year,

I came across this website as we begin the search for our "starter" home. I am looking to move with my wife & our 11month old son. We currently live in the Forest Hills section of Queens, NY and are looking to move into an area which has a decent commute to NYC. I work by Grand Central Station so I wouldnt mind a bus to PA or train commute to Penn (whichever is faster).
We are looking to buy a single-family home or even a townhome between $450-500K. We are looking for a friendly neighborhood, families with young children, not trashy, multi-cultural and safe.
Even though our son is only 11-month old, we are also interested in good public schools.
We are currently looking in Middlesex county: Old Bridge, Plainsboro, Piscataway, East Brunswick, Sayreville (listed in order of preference).
We liked some homes in Old Bridge and also notice that the bus commute to PA is within an hour. How is Old Bridge and the schools (MS CARPENTER & JONAS SALK)
I would appreciate if people would advise on the neighborhoods listed above in terms of living, safety, good schools, friendly people etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
Good Day everyone & Happy New Year,

I came across this website as we begin the search for our "starter" home. I am looking to move with my wife & our 11month old son. We currently live in the Forest Hills section of Queens, NY and are looking to move into an area which has a decent commute to NYC. I work by Grand Central Station so I wouldnt mind a bus to PA or train commute to Penn (whichever is faster).
We are looking to buy a single-family home or even a townhome between $450-500K. We are looking for a friendly neighborhood, families with young children, not trashy, multi-cultural and safe.
Even though our son is only 11-month old, we are also interested in good public schools.
We are currently looking in Middlesex county: Old Bridge, Plainsboro, Piscataway, East Brunswick, Sayreville (listed in order of preference).
We liked some homes in Old Bridge and also notice that the bus commute to PA is within an hour. How is Old Bridge and the schools (MS CARPENTER & JONAS SALK)
I would appreciate if people would advise on the neighborhoods listed above in terms of living, safety, good schools, friendly people etc.

Thanks!
I'd throw in my hat for Plainsboro. Best schools you can get. And you could find a townhome or, maybe, a starter home in your budget.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM

249 posts, read 825,097 times
I second the suggestion for Plainsboro. Well known for their school district, which they share with West Windsor. You can certainly purchase a townhome there in your price range. Single family will be a bit more difficult, but not impossible. Especially the Princeton Collection homes. Older homes (late 70's, early 80's) but a nice subdivision. Or, if you're really lucky - Princeton Crossing - built in the early 90's and also very nice community.

Second choice would be East Brunswick. The others, I would forget about if schools are really a strong consideration.

Last edited by kekee726; 01-03-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks Kekee & Lucario.

We are looking in Plainsboro as well. However, last weekend, We saw some in Old Bridge and loved the townhomes. Hows Old Bridge ? Is it safe, good area ? As for schools we are simply looking for good elementary and maybe middle school given the fact our son is 11months old and this is only our starter home. We look to keep this for 5-10yrs.

thanks again for your responses.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Thanks Kekee & Lucario.

We are looking in Plainsboro as well. However, last weekend, We saw some in Old Bridge and loved the townhomes. Hows Old Bridge ? Is it safe, good area ? As for schools we are simply looking for good elementary and maybe middle school given the fact our son is 11months old and this is only our starter home. We look to keep this for 5-10yrs.

I like the "look" of Plainsboro the best out of the communities listed, but overall I think Old Bridge is more "liveable." Better location (in my candid opinion), and I think the community is just a lot friendlier overall. I know a teacher in the school district and an officer in the OB police dept. and both have good things to say about the town.

Plainsboro is off Rt. 1, all subdivisions, and there are some racial issues in the schools (I know a white family whose kids did not feel comfortable with the large Indian population excluding them).

Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Thanks Kekee & Lucario.

I teach at a school were we always have a few kids from old bridge each year. Generally the elementary schools are ok but I would not send my child to anything beyond that given the choice.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I like the "look" of Plainsboro the best out of the communities listed, but overall I think Old Bridge is more "liveable." Better location (in my candid opinion), and I think the community is just a lot friendlier overall. I know a teacher in the school district and an officer in the OB police dept. and both have good things to say about the town.

Plainsboro is off Rt. 1, all subdivisions, and there are some racial issues in the schools (I know a white family whose kids did not feel comfortable with the large Indian population excluding them).

When you say racial issues, do you mean that the Indians try to exclude them, or do you think your friends who are white simply are not used to being a minority?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM

How is the Woodhaven part of Old Bridge ?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
When you say racial issues, do you mean that the Indians try to exclude them, or do you think your friends who are white simply are not used to being a minority?
They moved to Plainsboro from Queens, so their kids were used to being in a classroom with people from numerous backgrounds.

I think they found that this one particular group did things their way and (their parents, particularly) weren't too keen on sharing with folks outside of the racial group. Also, I don't think their kids had a lot in common with the Indian children. The cultural differences took a visible toll, though their one daughter ended up doing quite well in college and turned out fine. So, take from that what you will. But I recall it being particularly difficult on her.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
They moved to Plainsboro from Queens, so their kids were used to being in a classroom with people from numerous backgrounds.

I think they found that this one particular group did things their way and (their parents, particularly) weren't too keen on sharing with folks outside of the racial group. Also, I don't think their kids had a lot in common with the Indian children. The cultural differences took a visible toll, though their one daughter ended up doing quite well in college and turned out fine. So, take from that what you will. But I recall it being particularly difficult on her.
I do understand that. There are cultural clashes in the towns (West Windsor and Plainsboro), but I think we've been able to get by/over most of them. I and my family basically associate with those (Indian and other) who wish to associate with me and mine, and say the hell with those who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey