Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

249 posts, read 825,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFBALL View Post
Look at Bound Brook and Dunellen in Somerset county. Both are small towns with little, walkable downtowns. Both are within 15-20 minutes of NB. South Bound Brook is closer and they have a new condo development " Canal Point" which has taken a real hit in prices. BIG Drops.! Its 5 minutes from 287 and Easton Ave. Bound Brook is better than So. BB.

Good suggestions for inexpensive real estate, but schools systems are not up to par with the other suggested areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Nobody has mentioned your best bet: Highland Park.

Just over the river from New Brunswick, walkable, in your price range, safe and good schools.

Hopewell and Pennington will be tough in your price range.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM

36 posts, read 104,906 times
I live in the Somerset section of Franklin Twp. about 2 miles to New Brunswick train station in the heart of town. I would not suggest the schools here unless you are looking at private. I have a 3 year old and plan to move out in a year, my town is very nice but have always heard the bad with the public schools.

If it were me I would AVOID Bound brook South Bound brook Manville. Why? They Flood over and over again also very seedy parts of town. I would look at Hillsborough/Montgomery great homes for the money not a terrible commute at all some parts of East Brunswick but wouldn't be my first choice.

My plan if I were you would be to buy a cheap condo or a long term rental till you learn the areas of town. I like all of the convenience of my town and busy lifestyle of a college town " Rutgers" but many would not. anything south of or west make sure you check traffic I would NOT move east...

Good luck and if you have any specific ?'s pm me Not knowing anything about you I hesitate to tell you exactly where to look but as a parent of a young child my reccomendations are above

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM

30 posts, read 45,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFBALL View Post
Look at Bound Brook and Dunellen in Somerset county. Both are small towns with little, walkable downtowns. Both are within 15-20 minutes of NB. South Bound Brook is closer and they have a new condo development " Canal Point" which has taken a real hit in prices. BIG Drops.! Its 5 minutes from 287 and Easton Ave. Bound Brook is better than So. BB.
the schools don't seem like the best around in these towns although I liked the prices and walkable downtowns, good schools is our most important concern

Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbish View Post
Thanks for all your responses, from what we see on the realtor's webpages we think our best bet would be East Brunswick. Is there any areas of town that we should stay away? can you tell me which part do you suggest for a family with a 5 year old? I checked the elementary schools they seem like they're close to each other in ranking does anyone has personal experience?
East Brunswick is all fine, you don't need to worry about areas. I think there might be an area that has a lot of Orthodox Jews. Again, not a problem, but you might pay more for that since those homes are very desirable to the Jewish community and you might not fit as well, etc. The schools are all fine too.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Another idea farther south is Robbinsville. There is a newish development there called Washington Town Center, and it's a walkable neighborhood for sure, with a variety of homes at different price points. Good schools. It wouldn't be a bad commute for your DH though, it has a Turnpike entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey