Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

There is a small town in Atlantic County that is pretty walkable (as opposed to Galloway and Egg Harbor Township) and sits right on US. Route 30 and is the starting point for Route 50, both major roads in the area.

In short, this town is pretty much becoming a ghost town as the years go by (lack of businesses). Every time I come back from college for winter/spring/summer breaks, it just gets worse and worse.

I believe that with a little sprucing up of Philadelphia Ave (the main st), little ol' Egg Harbor City has the potential to become a vibrant little place for its townspeople, especially for the younger crowd. There are a considerable amount of young people living in the town, but there's really nothing to do or nowhere to really go.

I wish I had pictures for you, but I don't at this time.
Google Maps -Philadelphia Ave
The map is a little outdated, the white building on the left had been demolished recently and was created into a mini park.

My question to you is: what, if anything, should be done to help improve this town? What would YOU do? I'm looking at you, South Jersey posters!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is a train station (AC rail line) that is about 1.5 blocks from the main intersection of Philadelphia Ave/route 50 and US. Route 30. The train can take you anywhere on the line from AC to Philly-30th St. Station.

Last edited by stressedCollegeGirl89; 01-08-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: added important info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
It hasn't be designated as a Transit Village yet , but i think its on the states list. Once that happens you should start seeing the Dense developments or Developers coming in..... The town is tiny , but perfect for TOD on a smaller scale...its gird layout should make it easier to build up. It shouldn't be hard attracting developers , its on US 30 and AC line and between ACE and Philly...

Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
The problem is most of the residents in EH city are poor. So the same questions can apply anywhere - how do you spruce up AC, how do you spruce up Bridgeton, Pleasantville, Vineland? These are all places that used to have vibrant downtowns that are now areas with very low income people and all the issues that come with that. So how do you fix poverty? I have no idea.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
I agree with OCNJ girl, in that the main problem is a lack of jobs for the residents, which we can thank outsourcing and places like Walmart for. The best thing you can do, is start bringing people to Philadelphia Ave. and reminding them that it is there and helping those businesses stay alive. Too many stores have closed, causing more losses of jobs, because people abandoned their downtowns for shopping malls/centers and big box stores. The other problem is that people have given up on trying to fix their hometowns, I'm going to stop before I go on a long rant.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM

75 posts, read 195,050 times
My personal views on EHC as a former South Jersey girl(Go Oakcrest!) are that it is trying to "come back". I personally know of 2 young couples who have moved there and bought older homes and fixed them up beautifully. The neighbors on their respective streets actually came over and thanked them. There is a long way to go and there are nasty parts of town (apartment complex near London Ave.) but townsfolk fought and kept their Catholic Church (while many are closing), just got a new regional high school and have some incredible real estate deals if you know which parts of town to buy in. We drive through it every time we go home to visit family in Galloway and wonder if an Urban Enterprise Zone would help EHC..if it doesn't already have one.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Default ok

ouch Yet the 24 hour bus service doesn't help either

Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
ouch Yet the 24 hour bus service doesn't help either
I never knew they had 24 bus service, nor bus service for that matter (asside from the one that stops at all the train stations).

Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Hi folks!

There is a small town in Atlantic County that is pretty walkable (as opposed to Galloway and Egg Harbor Township) and sits right on US. Route 30 and is the starting point for Route 50, both major roads in the area.

In short, this town is pretty much becoming a ghost town as the years go by (lack of businesses). Every time I come back from college for winter/spring/summer breaks, it just gets worse and worse.

I believe that with a little sprucing up of Philadelphia Ave (the main st), little ol' Egg Harbor City has the potential to become a vibrant little place for its townspeople, especially for the younger crowd. There are a considerable amount of young people living in the town, but there's really nothing to do or nowhere to really go.

I wish I had pictures for you, but I don't at this time.
Google Maps -Philadelphia Ave
The map is a little outdated, the white building on the left had been demolished recently and was created into a mini park.

My question to you is: what, if anything, should be done to help improve this town? What would YOU do? I'm looking at you, South Jersey posters!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is a train station (AC rail line) that is about 1.5 blocks from the main intersection of Philadelphia Ave/route 50 and US. Route 30. The train can take you anywhere on the line from AC to Philly-30th St. Station.
I think that you need to run for mayor when you graduate. That gives you time to work out your plan.

The elected officials can get things rolling. Search out grants for distressed communities. They're out there.

Find 3 or 4 nice restaurants willing to open a branch in Egg Harbor City. Help them get grants to rehab buildings At least one should appeal to young people & one should appeal to older people. One or two should cater to families.

Find some shops to seed the area for retail & help them with the rehabbing costs as well. This can be someone who wants to open a 2nd or 3rd shop or someone who just wants to open a shop & can show a feasible plan.

Shops & restaurants produce jobs. As things get going, others will decide to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey