U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 22,010 times

Advertisements

I am possibly taking a job, which will require me to commute from Voorhees (South Jersey) to Fort Washington, PA. As I understand it, the best way is to probably take the Tacony (or possibly the Betsy Ross Bridge). I am not familiar with this area of Philadelphia and am wondering about safety issues. The job will require me to work 12-9, so I would prefer not to be traveling through a bad area at night. It looks like I would have to hop on Frankford Avenue to get there (and then take Cottman?). I know that Frankford isn't a particularly good area, but maybe I am wrong?

Would it be better to take the Ben Franklin to the Schuylkill, then take 476 to 276, etc? I'm guessing this would be a rough drive, and possibly 20 miles out of the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom15 View Post
I am possibly taking a job, which will require me to commute from Voorhees (South Jersey) to Fort Washington, PA. As I understand it, the best way is to probably take the Tacony (or possibly the Betsy Ross Bridge). I am not familiar with this area of Philadelphia and am wondering about safety issues. The job will require me to work 12-9, so I would prefer not to be traveling through a bad area at night. It looks like I would have to hop on Frankford Avenue to get there (and then take Cottman?). I know that Frankford isn't a particularly good area, but maybe I am wrong?

Would it be better to take the Ben Franklin to the Schuylkill, then take 476 to 276, etc? I'm guessing this would be a rough drive, and possibly 20 miles out of the way.

Good news there is no need from voorhees you can either drive to patco and transfer to septa doylestown line then get off at fort washington,pa Or if you are walking distance from rte 73 use NJT bus line 406 directly to philly get off at city hall then head to suburban sta and use doylestown line to fort washington sta also SEPTA 201 meets several trains at fort washington throughout the day. go to njtransit.com for 406 schedule then septa.org for train schedule and 201 schedule. By the way NJT buses are faster than they appear

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM

if you want I can e-mail you my route map which details all transit in those areas. my PA southeast one and my south jersey map

Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:

that makes using septa easier 12-9 shift

Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

I never thought about using Septa, but I noticed the station is on Summit Avenue. It's about 2 miles from the Virginia Avenue location where I would be working!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I never thought about using Septa, but I noticed the station is on Summit Avenue. It's about 2 miles from the Virginia Avenue location where I would be working!
don't ya mean virginia Drive??? the 201 bus meets the train and goes there directly!!! plus in order to get to septa you need the NJT 406 bus at rte 73 since ya live in voorhees you might be walking distance if not you may be closer to 451 or 459 to patco then patco to Septa train then 201 septa bus.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes, I do mean Virginia Drive! Thanks for the correction. Any suggestions if I were to drive, and not take public transportation?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,095,635 times
Quote:
Yes, I do mean Virginia Drive! Thanks for the correction. Any suggestions if I were to drive, and not take public transportation?
Why don't you ask here? //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/

Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,118,045 times
Ft. Washington is tough as there really aren't any direct routes that won't take you through surface streets. Your two options are to go north up 295 from Voorhees and pick up 276 crossing into PA and taking that to Ft. Washington. From Voorhees, the other option would be to take 295 south to 42/76 and get on the Walt Whitman and take the Schuylkill to 476 north and then pick up 276. to Ft. Washington.

The only other option would be to take Tacony-Palmyra and follow surface streets through to Route 1 (aka Roosevelt Blvd.) and then take Route 1 west to PA 611 (Broad St.) and follow that north to the split with 309 which will first put you on Cheltenham Ave., but then breaks off and becomes 309 north the Ft. Washington Expressway. That is the most direct route when looking at a map, but will take you through some sketchier areas and you are real prone to traffic issues. You are much better off sticking to one of the major roads even if they aren't a direct route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey