Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, call your local newspaper and ask them to do it then...i personally think voters have more power than they realize.
there is some improvement with the online posting of public employees salaries (datauniverse is nice which i believe is the work of the asbury park press), but we need to go further and drill down into what exactly is accomplished. so we may be headed in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is some improvement with the online posting of public employees salaries (datauniverse is nice which i believe is the work of the asbury park press), but we need to go further and drill down into what exactly is accomplished. so we may be headed in the right direction.
i think it would be wonderful to have more information posted on public websites. but as everyone in NJ complains about every dollar spent...that's a reasonably big undertaking. it's not just a matter of throwing data onto "the web". it requires work from web designers. when Hoboken started updating their website, everyone moaned about the city spending money on IT people.

after the initial expenses to set it up though, it should be relatively easy to maintain.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think it would be wonderful to have more information posted on public websites. but as everyone in NJ complains about every dollar spent...that's a reasonably big undertaking. it's not just a matter of throwing data onto "the web". it requires work from web designers. when Hoboken started updating their website, everyone moaned about the city spending money on IT people.

after the initial expenses to set it up though, it should be relatively easy to maintain.
if the information is located in a database (which most of this stuff is these days) it isnt that much of an expense to put it on the internet. the problem is that simple salary information isnt enough, but its a good start. criminal prosecution and financial restitution for people like this woman would be a good thing also.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if the information is located in a database (which most of this stuff is these days) it isnt that much of an expense to put it on the internet. the problem is that simple salary information isnt enough, but its a good start. criminal prosecution and financial restitution for people like this woman would be a good thing also.
i'd be shocked if many local governments even knew what a database was. even if it is, putting information on the web from a database behind a firewall is more complicated than most people think. there's personal and confidential information that has to be safeguarded if you are making part of the database open to the internet. you have to build a seperate view into the database, or replicate only the data you need to a different database. it's been years since i've done that sort of stuff, so someone else could give more detail i'm sure. but because of things like HIPPA and other privacy acts, not all information is public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey