Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Pretty much what I thought. That is a major reason why most people will never own one.
i understand it. it's also why most people will buy an incadescent light bulb over a CFL, even though the CFL will last longer and cost less to use over it's lifetime. It's why people buy crappy televisions, that will fail sooner and need to be replaced over a quality one. There's gotta be something to buy the crap, so companies can make high margins and make better quality products that people who care will buy, and companies typically make lower margins.

it's also what brought many customers in when I sold PCs at a big box store. people would come in and buy "eMachines" on sale for $299. Those guys were my favorite customers, I'd see them often when they needed a new machine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i understand it. it's also why most people will buy an incadescent light bulb over a CFL, even though the CFL will last longer and cost less to use over it's lifetime. It's why people buy crappy televisions, that will fail sooner and need to be replaced over a quality one. There's gotta be something to buy the crap, so companies can make high margins and make better quality products that people who care will buy, and companies typically make lower margins.

it's also what brought many customers in when I sold PCs at a big box store. people would come in and buy "eMachines" on sale for $299. Those guys were my favorite customers, I'd see them often when they needed a new machine!
I have always bought a mid range computer. I rather spend $500 on a laptop today and get a new one in 2 years than pay $1,000 for one today and have it for four years.

Obviously it depends on what you want it for though. If you only want to surf the net and play a few games it seems like there are plenty of adequate computers you can buy for half the price of a mac.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
I have always bought a mid range computer. I rather spend $500 on a laptop today and get a new one in 2 years than pay $1,000 for one today and have it for four years.

Obviously it depends on what you want it for though. If you only want to surf the net and play a few games it seems like there are plenty of adequate computers you can buy for half the price of a mac.
I am the opposite. I really would rather buy one now and not have to look again for a few years.

You're right, it depends on what floats your boat. I have my Mac for 1.5 years now and still love being on it. I am a peruser. I check out the new ones every time I go out to a store that sells them and still walk away smiling that mine is just as good.

My husband on the other hand is more like you and would rather buy new every couple of years.... DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
I've had a Motorola Droid for well over a year now. I know that the Android phones are supposed to be the techies' preferred phone, and I'm definitely a techie...

but I'm still planning to get a Verizon iPhone. (But ONLY when they release a true 4G LTE model.)

The Droid is an OK phone, but it's been a little bit of a disappointment to me. Battery life isn't great, and the battery meter is all over the place. (I've had it go from 70% full to 5% instantaneously on multiple occasions.) The touch screen is often inaccurate. The sound sometimes turns on by itself. Do you know what it's like to teach a bunch of kids and have your pocket scream "DROID!" in a robot voice in the middle of a lesson? It makes them think the aliens are coming.

And, I'm sorry, but Android apps still stink for the most part compared to iPhone apps. I really thought that after all this time the gap would have closed some. It hasn't.

My brother has a 3GS iPhone that I've used quite a bit, and it's just so much more polished in terms of hardware and software, and provides a much more pleasant experience, even without Flash (which stinks on Android phones, BTW). I've been informed by my fellow techies that rooting my Droid would solve some of my issues, but I shouldn't have to go through that hassle to get the phone to work reasonably well (although I'm perfectly capable of doing so if so inclined).

So, as soon as the 4G iPhone comes out and my contract is up, I'm switching.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I've had a Motorola Droid for well over a year now. I know that the Android phones are supposed to be the techies' preferred phone, and I'm definitely a techie...

but I'm still planning to get a Verizon iPhone. (But ONLY when they release a true 4G LTE model.)

The Droid is an OK phone, but it's been a little bit of a disappointment to me. Battery life isn't great, and the battery meter is all over the place. (I've had it go from 70% full to 5% instantaneously on multiple occasions.) The touch screen is often inaccurate. The sound sometimes turns on by itself. Do you know what it's like to teach a bunch of kids and have your pocket scream "DROID!" in a robot voice in the middle of a lesson? It makes them think the aliens are coming.

And, I'm sorry, but Android apps still stink for the most part compared to iPhone apps. I really thought that after all this time the gap would have closed some. It hasn't.

My brother has a 3GS iPhone that I've used quite a bit, and it's just so much more polished in terms of hardware and software, and provides a much more pleasant experience, even without Flash (which stinks on Android phones, BTW). I've been informed by my fellow techies that rooting my Droid would solve some of my issues, but I shouldn't have to go through that hassle to get the phone to work reasonably well (although I'm perfectly capable of doing so if so inclined).

So, as soon as the 4G iPhone comes out and my contract is up, I'm switching.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Before you say the apps stink you really need to say what apps you are using. For instance the voice navigation and voice search options on Droid are FAR superior to iPhone. Like light years ahead. Also the droid's seamless integration with Google makes it far better for anyone who uses Google products such as voice or gmail. It should also be noted there are far more free apps for droid than on iphone. For instance Easy Tether(among others) is a free app which allows you to use your phone as a wireless card for a computer. The same tethering capability will cost you on an iphone( Granted the Verizon iPhone is rumored, not confirmed, to serve as a wireless hotspot). Also droid is flash capable while iphone is not, even more of a factor now that Google is rumored to be dropping H264 for video(Not that WebM is any better).

Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
being that ATT has NJ pretty much completely covered with 3g and HSPA, it's not worth going to verizon. ATT has faster data speeds and better building penetration than Verizon in NYC and NJ. Not to mention that people will be jumping ship, lightening the load on ATTs system

AT&T coverage stinks in Manhattan, I'm going to Verizion as soon as I can.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
being that ATT has NJ pretty much completely covered with 3g and HSPA, it's not worth going to verizon. ATT has faster data speeds and better building penetration than Verizon in NYC and NJ. Not to mention that people will be jumping ship, lightening the load on ATTs system
You know, I had ATT a few years ago when it was called Cingular. It was so bad in my area that I had to break the contract. After I told them I would take them to small claims to recoup the termination fee, they waived it. But with a new job came a free iPhone with ATT and a few years later, it's as good as Verizon in my area. I have no complaints at all with ATT and should I move jobs, I'd probably become an ATT customer again.

My hunch is that Verizon is going to make people pay through the nose for a data plan to go with the iPhone way beyond what AT&T charges. I'm sure many of Verizon's current customers might get an iPhone, but I doubt many people will switch considering they'll most likely have to pay more for the same phone. Also, the inability to use apps and talk at the same time could be annoying. I like to sometimes look something up during a conversation or access a map while talking to someone.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
You know, I had ATT a few years ago when it was called Cingular. It was so bad in my area that I had to break the contract. After I told them I would take them to small claims to recoup the termination fee, they waived it. But with a new job came a free iPhone with ATT and a few years later, it's as good as Verizon in my area. I have no complaints at all with ATT and should I move jobs, I'd probably become an ATT customer again.

My hunch is that Verizon is going to make people pay through the nose for a data plan to go with the iPhone way beyond what AT&T charges. I'm sure many of Verizon's current customers might get an iPhone, but I doubt many people will switch considering they'll most likely have to pay more for the same phone. Also, the inability to use apps and talk at the same time could be annoying. I like to sometimes look something up during a conversation or access a map while talking to someone.

Rumor has it verizon's unlimited plan will be less than AT&T. I think Verizon will get lots of AT&T customers. AT&T stinks.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I had a Toshiba laptop and an Acer laptop. Both fell apart (especially the Acer, which literally fell apart physically). Both overheated, both had bugs.

I bought my first Mac laptop earlier this year and love it. What I love most is the physical build quality. It feels far more solid. My two previous laptops (which were not cheap) felt flimsy compared to the Mac. The Mac also does not overheat, and generally runs quieter, and just more smoothly. Also love how I don't need to have all kinds of anti-virus software bogging everything down and constantly updating.

I was never a Mac guy but I've been converted.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Rumor has it verizon's unlimited plan will be less than AT&T. I think Verizon will get lots of AT&T customers. AT&T stinks.
A couple years ago I would have agreed, but in my area AT&T has really stepped it up and they are equal to Verizon. I've had them since I got my new job in October and have never dropped a call or been without service. I obviously can't speak for your area, though.

I've always felt Verizon's data plans were complete ripoffs - especially the ones instituted during the last couple of years, and especially the heavy-handed way they forced pricey data plans on customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey