Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i understand it. it's also why most people will buy an incadescent light bulb over a CFL, even though the CFL will last longer and cost less to use over it's lifetime. It's why people buy crappy televisions, that will fail sooner and need to be replaced over a quality one. There's gotta be something to buy the crap, so companies can make high margins and make better quality products that people who care will buy, and companies typically make lower margins.

it's also what brought many customers in when I sold PCs at a big box store. people would come in and buy "eMachines" on sale for $299. Those guys were my favorite customers, I'd see them often when they needed a new machine!
I'm on one of those 299 emachines right now. Had it for 6 years with no problems. Variety floats every boat. I'd rather buy 6 of these than a high priced Apple. But i do agree that Apple is quality. It's like buying a car. The 60K BMW or the 15K corolla. The corolla got me 300,000 miles and still works fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I just left Verizon for AT&T last Oct. The only time I notice a difference is when I am in a building like a bar or something. Often times my Internet speed comes to a screeching halt on AT&T iPhone. I won't be switching back tho until my 2 yr contract is up.

In regard to the Mac discussion I just don't like how you can't upgrade them. What if I want to add more RAM or a better video card? I can't because I have to take it to Apple. That sucks. I would rather be able to buy the parts myself and put them in myself. Much quicker that way.
you can add more RAM to a mac. if you're savvy enough, you can change the video card as well. it depends on the type of machine you get.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I'm on one of those 299 emachines right now. Had it for 6 years with no problems. Variety floats every boat. I'd rather buy 6 of these than a high priced Apple. But i do agree that Apple is quality. It's like buying a car. The 60K BMW or the 15K corolla. The corolla got me 300,000 miles and still works fine.
well, the corolla is solid quality. the thing about the eMachines is it's like the Apex brand DVD player circuit city used to sell for $99 when they were typically $250...a store will sell 1,000 of them. 100 of them will work, no issues. 900 of them will be returned and sent back to the manufacture because of a defect. if you're one of the lucky ones, awesome, you made out. but it's not the norm.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Funny, I actually have the pricey Mac as my laptop and the $299 eMachines special as my desktop Windows computer. I love both, and both have been very reliable.

My eMachines computer came with tons of features (I doubled the memory for like $30) and a nice, 17-inch flat panel monitor. I really like it a lot. I'm not sure why anyone would buy an expensive Windows computer when you can get a bargain one and, if you want to have something more powerful, just upgrade it on the cheap yourself.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, the corolla is solid quality. the thing about the eMachines is it's like the Apex brand DVD player circuit city used to sell for $99 when they were typically $250...a store will sell 1,000 of them. 100 of them will work, no issues. 900 of them will be returned and sent back to the manufacture because of a defect. if you're one of the lucky ones, awesome, you made out. but it's not the norm.
Wrong. eMachines is owned by Acer and their machines are simply rebranded Acer computers. Before that, they were owned by Gateway and were rebranded Gateway computers. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them. Actually, the people who own Dells are the ones who seem to have perpetual computer hardware issues, from my observation.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Wrong. eMachines is owned by Acer and their machines are simply rebranded Acer computers. Before that, they were owned by Gateway and were rebranded Gateway computers. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them. Actually, the people who own Dells are the ones who seem to have perpetual computer hardware issues, from my observation.
Gateway were notorius for issues. Gateway bought eMachines in 2004. I sold these before then. probably should have said when. I'm sure today, it's very possible they aren't as junky as when I sold them. If that's true though, some other junk brand has taken their place. That's all my point was. You buy the bottom of the barrell, and there's issues to deal with. We had tons of them returned on a weekly basis. Sold tons more though, so it didn't matter.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM

haha...on wiki:

"In July 2004, eMachines began to shake the perception that their computers were of poor quality when PC Magazine reported:"

so i guess that's around when they started focusing more on quality. makes sense.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM

349 posts, read 781,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
You can most certainly upgrade components of a Mac system yourself. I upgraded my MacBook from 2gb to 4gb of RAM by myself. It was actually easier than fiddling with my previous Windows laptops.
That's good to know. I guess when its time for me to get a new PC I can remove my reservations about getting a Mac or Macbook.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
That's good to know. I guess when its time for me to get a new PC I can remove my reservations about getting a Mac or Macbook.
just go in with an open mind. it's an option I kept off the table for years because i loved how "customizable" a PC was. only when i went in with an open mind did I realize that Macs really aren't expensive (they come with more software and better hardware) as long as you'll use those functions they are equipped for. I don't buy junk that doesn't last. I have low tolerance for technology that doesn't do what I expect. so it depends on your needs.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Rumor has it verizon's unlimited plan will be less than AT&T. I think Verizon will get lots of AT&T customers. AT&T stinks.
no. 30 a month. And it really isnt unlimited, 5gb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey