Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM

120 posts, read 195,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
luck may play a part in things. i am lucky to be born into a great family. i met my wife in school when we got stuck in a group together so it was lucky that we were in the position. but its also making the most of the situation. by suggesting its you doesnt give me any kind of satisfaction that im putting you down. i think it would be best if you look at yourself and fix the issues and you will be happier for it.

im just messing around with the looks thing. i thought it was funny. im just a regular guy.

btw, if i was going to pick any state to move to it definitely wouldnt be new jersey. i think there are great times to be had in any state, so id try to pick one with less democrats, no new york city, lower taxes, more attractive population, and im sure some other factors would come into play.
Yea, I wasnt so lucky. Born into an abusive family, stepfather wanted me out the house at 17 and my mother did everything in her power to make that happen, so that she wouldnt lose out on "the good life" because of her son that she calls "a worthless piece of ****" because of her mental issues. Not close to any family member because of the traveling we did so and none of them are the helping kind anyway. Have no contact whatsoever with my parents for a couple of years. Basically on my own, a lone wolf if you will. So yea, I drew a short straw with the life I have. Nobody really cares about me like that. But no need to complain about it. I have things I need to work on for myself like my career paths and what not and I need to focus, and not let all the bad thats happening influence me. But hey man, im glad you have a good family that cares. It would be nice. You should be greatful. And yea, i know you were kidding about the looks so was I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast8 View Post
Yea, I wasnt so lucky. Born into an abusive family, stepfather wanted me out the house at 17 and my mother did everything in her power to make that happen, so that she wouldnt lose out on "the good life" because of her son that she calls "a worthless piece of ****" because of her mental issues. Not close to any family member because of the traveling we did so and none of them are the helping kind anyway. Have no contact whatsoever with my parents for a couple of years. Basically on my own, a lone wolf if you will. So yea, I drew a short straw with the life I have. Nobody really cares about me like that. But no need to complain about it. I have things I need to work on for myself like my career paths and what not and I need to focus, and not let all the bad thats happening influence me. But hey man, im glad you have a good family that cares. It would be nice. You should be greatful. And yea, i know you were kidding about the looks so was I.
My uncle and I are ok, we dont exactly talk alot. And I have to pay him rent every month and do tons of favors for them. Not exactly a loving family.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
What's the California version of Paramus? Some boring 'burg in the Valley? Not a happenin place to land as a young guy. That was mistake #1 that probably messed up your head from day1. I know, I grew up 10 minutes from there. Mall & highway culture and not much else
Yea I know what you mean, that was the mistake, coming here. I had no idea what I was getting into. I only came here because this is where my uncle lives. But yea your right.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Yea I know what you mean, that was the mistake, coming here. I had no idea what I was getting into. I only came here because this is where my uncle lives. But yea your right.
As someone mentioned, if you had landed in Hoboken, Jersey City or New Brunswick your opinion might be totally different.

And FWIW, my brother in Colorado said there are TONS of people invading the state from California to get away from - you guessed it - crowded, smoggy, nasty, status-climbing wannabes in that 3rd world hell known as southern Cal/northern Mexico. So us New Jerseyans shouldn't think we're the only ones not exactly celebrated around the country

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM

I agree and disagree. Living in Hoboken, Jersey City or any city for that matter would have made it worse because im not a city guy. But I do get what your saying. Maybe if I landed in south jersey, things would have been different. I must admit I did like south jersey the few times ive been there and im not talking about the shore. Its a nice area, people are better but you still have the upscale environment.

As far as what you said about California, I think your brother meant LA. Because all of Cali isnt like that. And im going back to central not southern. Every state has there bad parts. But lets be honest Cali has alot more to offer, especially for someone like me.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I agree and disagree. Living in Hoboken, Jersey City or any city for that matter would have made it worse because im not a city guy. But I do get what your saying. Maybe if I landed in south jersey, things would have been different. I must admit I did like south jersey the few times ive been there and im not talking about the shore. Its a nice area, people are better but you still have the upscale environment.

As far as what you said about California, I think your brother meant LA. Because all of Cali isnt like that. And im going back to central not southern. Every state has there bad parts. But lets be honest Cali has alot more to offer, especially for someone like me.
A friend wanted out of Jersey so he & his young family picked up stakes about 6 years ago and moved outside of San Fran where the same cape cods in NJ go for like $800K. A more mountainous, better climate rat race. But still a rat race

Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Sorry it didn't work out for you. It takes a special breed to live here, not everyone can make it.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Having been to various parts of CA, it's definately a different world. I'm surprised you thought that NJ women have an attitude though, considering how materialistic and phoney some of the women in CA can be. (Botox, boob jobs, extensions and bleached hair, etc.)

I think that people with certain personalities feel more comfortable living in NJ. I'm not saying that as an insult (I was born in NJ and most of my family still live there), but it's true for the most part. Ideally you should be assertive, not afraid to be loud, aggressive when driving, hyper-motivated when it comes to making money, competetive enough to at least try to keep up with the Joneses, and you should be able to talk fast and do just about everything else fast, too.

I'm very shy and soft spoken, don't have an agressive bone in my body, work hard, but I'm not interested in making a lot of money or keeping up with the Joneses, and I feel uncomfortable around loud people. Worse, I never developed a New Jersey accent b/c my mom made me take speech lessons from kindergarten on. During the entire time I lived in NJ I'd feel like a misfit b/c people would say, "You don't sound like you're from NJ?" or "Why don't you talk like your sisters?"

Now I live in an area of New England where the lifestyle is very laid back, people tend to be reserved, and no one cares about how much money you make, or what kind of handbag you carry, and most women would rather kayack or hike than shop.

It's not better than NJ; it's a just better fit for me.

Hopefully, you will find a state that works well for you, especially given your age.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I'm very shy and soft spoken, don't have an agressive bone in my body, work hard, but I'm not interested in making a lot of money or keeping up with the Joneses, and I feel uncomfortable around loud people. Worse, I never developed a New Jersey accent b/c my mom made me take speech lessons from kindergarten on. During the entire time I lived in NJ I'd feel like a misfit b/c people would say, "You don't sound like you're from NJ?" or "Why don't you talk like your sisters?"
A bunch of us (north & south jerseyans) went out to Vegas a few years back when The Soprano's was still big and the dealer asked us where we're from. She said several of us didn't "sound like" we were from Jersey. And I asked her who had the worst Jersey accent and she said it was me! haha. I don't even come from the Jersey City/Bayonne area where the thickest "jersey" accent is from. I was kind of shocked because living here nobody ever says anything like that.

I hope you don't live in NH...besides seafood the restaurants are pretty awful

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM

379 posts, read 512,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Having been to various parts of CA, it's definately a different world. I'm surprised you thought that NJ women have an attitude though, considering how materialistic and phoney some of the women in CA can be. (Botox, boob jobs, extensions and bleached hair, etc.)
I think that is a common misconception of California. Very little of CA is like this, mostly centered around LA. Central CA, like Fresno, is nothing like that. I have a close female friend currently living in NJ, who was born and raised in Fresno, and she is the antithesis of the typical phony LA fembot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey