U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM

607 posts, read 857,401 times

Advertisements

Look at the offerings at Thomas Edison St College - www.tesc.edu

They offer associates and undergrad degrees in a ton of disciplines, and you can often take classes online rather than go on a campus. You can also take them at your pace, if the traditional semester schedule is a tough fit for you.

I went back a little younger than you, and got my BA in 2006. I can't talk more highly of the school or the experience.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM

140 posts, read 197,237 times
Since you have experience in construction, it would probably be easier get some type of cert or degree in that field. Thomas Edison State College has a BS in Construction. The program might be online and it's a State school. If your looking for a career change then you should contact people in the field your interested in and ask them about said field.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM

942 posts, read 1,658,798 times
Good for you! Going back to school to learn new skills is never a bad idea or a bad investment. It's never too late to go back to school, and learn new skills. Being flexible and willing to reinvent yourself in today's economy is crucial if you’re going to remain employable for the long term. You have a lot of years left to work before you retire. Today's job market is brutal enough for people with college of some kind of post secondary school training on their resume. Having no post high school education or some kind of training in today's labor market is like having a financial death sentence issued to you. Don't let the doubters tell you differently.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM

67 posts, read 326,507 times
I'm only going to tell you the cold hard truth, and that is if you don't know what you want to do as a dedicated career at this point, you better stay in construction.

But since you're set on going to school, I'll give you a few tips that helped me :

1. Take your DEDICATED interests, apply them to the most LOGICAL, and LUCRATIVE career path possible, however, this shouldve been distinguished long ago in your life.

2. NEVER take online classes, I dont care whos had success with them, every day the career market gets more cut throat, and any day now, people who thought they were too good to make a personal appearance in a real classroom will be a no-brainer-no-hire.

3. DO NOT go to a community college, again, save the success stories. same exact reasoning here, the difference being anyone nowadays (given the situation of federal direct loans) can take the plunge and go to a real university (if they're accepted of course), a CC on your resume will only show that youre good at selling yourself short.

4. I would stick with construction related things at this point in your life, but just to throw a broad spectrum of opportunity your way, science seems to be the way to go now. I dont know how well science relates to you but, the wide general schematic of science careers are not only the most progressive fields that an average joe could work his way into, its also not as far from a normal persons intelligence as it may seem, your high school science classes should have taught you quite a relevant amount of fundamental science.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,882,492 times
If you are looking for certification for Project Management you can start here.

Go to PMI: Project Management Institute (PMI - the World) and make an account. Start PMP application process, if you do have 3-5 years of experiencing managing a project. You'll have more than enough for application and enough to meet the hour requirement. Then if they accept, you can schedule an exam and you will need to study. Exam is not a cake walk nor is it based on real world. It's 95% textbook knowledge out of PMBOK (project management book of knowledge). You can google more about it.

There are lot of cert types from PMI but the one you want is PMP. In field of project management, PMP is the filter criteria people look at and industry standard. If you want something more impressive, six sigma is way to go (green belt, black belt) but it's only really taught by organizations that use the methodology so it's not something you can go out and earn cert through self-study or exam.

Good luck.

Last edited by babo111; 01-20-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM

3,461 posts, read 3,356,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2322k View Post
I recently realized that my dreams of skipping college and putting that time in on my construction skills, has went oh so wrong. I have learned the craft I have managed people, and I have sold huge jobs, but I have no piece of paper or certificate that says I'm ready to move up into a superintentant, assistant project manager, building inspector etc.. Right now I sit here with a ton of expierience and no way of distinguishing me from a drunken day laborer. I am good at what I do I just don't have the desire to run a company anymore. I just want to put my 50/60 in somewhere get a decent wage for my time. I have to get some kind of degree or certificate I'm wondering do I stay in the Construction Field or abandon it for a 2 year radiology tech degree which I have no intrest in but pays well. So aggravated, just want to make the best choice for my family which in turn is driving me nuts. This week alone I've signed up for online college, applied to commercial diving school, talked to the program director for Barber School, look into becoming a personal trainer, HVAC program And the list goes on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My advice to you is, as someone with a skill/craft, it is better to start your own business. Why wasting time and money going to school and learn useless stuffs? Do you think if you have the paper, you will get those huge jobs and promotion? If you don't already realize, all your peers also have the paper. For example, my teammate just got promoted to team lead, good for her. However, she was in that position for like 8 years. That's a very long time. How many 8 years you have before you can get to some senior management level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: