Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
Fairway, at least the two here in NJ, are on par with Whole Foods and Kings.

Stop N' Shop is hit or miss depending on the location. In general though, they tend to be a bit pricier than Shop Rite or Pathmark.

A&P in my opinion is a step up from Pathmark. They're owned by the same company which also includes Food Emporium in NYC, and you will find the same store brands there.
Stop and Shop has King's prices in a Shop Rite setting (generally.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

I think that is a very apt description of the mundane, yet incredibly overpriced, Stop & Shop chain.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I can't think of anything bad to say about Shop-Rite.Been going to various locations most of my life.Most of the time I go to Mansfield.That one is set up oddly,at the entrance.Succasunna is almost always a nut house.Wharton is newer,has nice cashiers.For a retro effect, I like to go go Netcong.Its like shopping in the past. I know its been around since at least the 60s.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
WRONG WRONG WRONG! Stop and Plop has King's prices in a PATHMARK setting. Nah, even that's too much of a compliment. At least Pathmark's junk is moderately priced. S & P's ain't.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG! Stop and Plop has King's prices in a PATHMARK setting. Nah, even that's too much of a compliment. At least Pathmark's junk is moderately priced. S & P's ain't.

I really pity anyone who had easy access to only Stop & Shop, due to their overpriced goods.
The parent company (this sounds like a joke, but it is not, is Royal Ahold, a Dutch conglomerate) apparently thinks that US consumers do not do comparison pricing. If anyone does bother to do some comparison pricing, it quickly becomes apparent that S & S is ripping them off "royally".

However, their predatory pricing policy can work to the consumer's advantage, in some limited circumstances.
Last Thanksgiving, I needed chicken livers for one of my pre-dinner items. Shop-Rite had no chicken livers, nor did Wegmans.

Out of desperation (because that is essentially the only time that I will patronize Stop & Shop), I checked one of the local S & S locations, and found that they had...most likely...about 50 containers of chicken livers in the meat case. Yes, they were much more expensive than what Shop-Rite or Wegmans would have charged, but S & S was the only one that actually had the desired product in stock--likely because of their high prices.

So, I was able to buy what I needed at Stop & Shop, and--in effect--they saved the day for me.
However, I have to question whether they would have actually had my desired items in stock if they had been charging the same (substantially lower) price that Shop-Rite and Wegmans would charge for the same item.

Stop & Shop--ripping off the American consumer daily. (And, I am entitled to say that as a result of my Dutch genealogy)

Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Stop and Stop is like a third rate Shaw's -- they are up in the New England. I think they are the same company but Shaw's is a lot cleaner. It's like the difference between Carl's Jr. and Hardee's -- Carl's Jr. is a cleaner better version of Hardee's.

Lot's of Pathmark pride on here. I guess the difference between Pathmark and Shop Rite is Pathmark is actually a bargain.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I really pity anyone who had easy access to only Stop & Shop, due to their overpriced goods.
The parent company (this sounds like a joke, but it is not, is Royal Ahold, a Dutch conglomerate) apparently thinks that US consumers do not do comparison pricing. If anyone does bother to do some comparison pricing, it quickly becomes apparent that S & S is ripping them off "royally".
Royal Ahold also owns both Giant (Giant of Landover and Giant of Carlisle/Martins) chains, which are much better, so I suspect Stop&Shop was that way before they got bought.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
Anybody have any love for the dearly departed NJ staple: Grand Union?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Stop and Stop is like a third rate Shaw's -- they are up in the New England. I think they are the same company but Shaw's is a lot cleaner. It's like the difference between Carl's Jr. and Hardee's -- Carl's Jr. is a cleaner better version of Hardee's.

Lot's of Pathmark pride on here. I guess the difference between Pathmark and Shop Rite is Pathmark is actually a bargain.

Nah... Shaw's is actually under same ownership as Acme.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Anybody have any love for the dearly departed NJ staple: Grand Union?
Evolved into stop n shop.

Like how usair became us airways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey