Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

I go to the Wall shop rite and it rocks. Except for the large amount of people. I go off hours though and run over people with the shopping cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
I guess the Clinton Shop Rite could be considered "dumpy" because its kind of old, but it works for us. I got 10 cans of Progresso soup for $7.00 because it was the Can Can sale plus coupons-can't beat that!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Jersey City Downtown Shop Rite Was the worst right next to newport mall! You could not even move in the aisles. Crammed everywhere! Just too many people... I ended up going to Shop Rite in Hoboken instead.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I guess the Clinton Shop Rite could be considered "dumpy" because its kind of old, but it works for us. I got 10 cans of Progresso soup for $7.00 because it was the Can Can sale plus coupons-can't beat that!
Don't tell Tahiti or she'll be jealous, I think she's the coupon king or shall I say queen.LMAO

Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Don't tell Tahiti or she'll be jealous, I think she's the coupon king or shall I say queen.LMAO
I'll fight her for that title! At my office we get eight different newspapers (dailies and weeklies) and the advertisement sections go right into the recycling bin-well, they did, until I started scavenging through them and digging out all of the coupons We're not as good as the folks on TV, but last week at Can Can we stocked up on canned goods and other non-perishables with coupons and shaved $60 off our order.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Grand Unions must have been better in some locations just like Shop-Rite.There was a Grand Union for years in Flemington and it was clean and had really good produce & meat. I actually preferred it over SR.

The ShopRite in Flemington was just remodeled a couple of years ago and it is clean, prices pretty good, their meats & produce just OK but it gets really crowded as people as far away as Bucks county shop there. It has a pretty good organic foods section.

I avoid the crowds at ShopRite by their internet shopping. They have great service & all of the people I've dealt with are nice.

There's a Wegman's located on Rt.202S in Bridgewater but I've never been - just to lazy to drive the 30 minutes to get there.

The long gone old A&P in town was a complete dump. I would only buy canned goods there it was so bad.
And A&P used to be considered "higher class" than Pathmark.

Stop & Shops in North Jersey weren't bad but I don't see many down in Central Jersey. Shop Rite is still the best we have.

I've mentioned this before but I've been to some supermarkets in California (i realize they grow everything out there) where the fresh produce would literally take up 1/3 of your average NJ "supermarket." We get crud. NYC supermarkets are even crummier. Waldbaums? Complete dumps

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
There was an OLD OLD Shop-Rite in Paramus next to the Bergen Mall, but have since built a newer one behind where the old one was. That was a REALLY old, nasty, stinking, crowded store!! Anyone remember the one I'm talking about? It was so old it had a round roof, like a half a circle.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Shop rites seem to run the full range. The one closest to me (Pennington) is pretty dumpy...narrow cluttered isles,meager fish department...produce is almost an after thought...most of the store is filled with IMHO crap. On the other hand the Shoprite in FLemington )not a "Super ShopRite" btw) is extremely clean with a huge selection in the produce,fish and meat department. Isles are clean/clear, specials clearly marked. It's also very apparent the staff is very proud of the area they service. What a difference the experience is.

It's clear it's all up to the owners/managers and their personal commitment to getting really polite helpful staff and keeping the standards high. Needless to say I drive the few extra miles. It's amazing to me the "dumpy" ones don't feel the need to step up to the challenge of going beyound the bare minimum requirements.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
You know some of you commuters should drop in at the Farmers Markets and buy there veggies , Jams , Desserts and Fruits...its half the price and better Quality.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'll fight her for that title! At my office we get eight different newspapers (dailies and weeklies) and the advertisement sections go right into the recycling bin-well, they did, until I started scavenging through them and digging out all of the coupons We're not as good as the folks on TV, but last week at Can Can we stocked up on canned goods and other non-perishables with coupons and shaved $60 off our order.
$60? That's it? I can do that half asleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey