Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM

33 posts, read 49,790 times

Advertisements

They were going 10MPH the whole stretch... cost me an additional hour to my commute. IS this normal practice? Why didn't they pull off for a few minutes to let a bunch of us through? the roads weren't THAT bad that they needed plowing. Best part = they pulled off right before the big hill on 280.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Because there salting the road so you don't crash and if you or some were to crash you'd probably sue the state....claiming they should have salted it. The Hills are the first thing that they salt , then they go back and salt the rest. Also you should not be rushing to work today...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Because there salting the road so you don't crash and if you or some were to crash you'd probably sue the state....claiming they should have salted it. The Hills are the first thing that they salt , then they go back and salt the rest. Also you should not be rushing to work today...

It was raining and there was minor slush on the ground. they were causing more problems then solving them!

and i didn't speed. I was going 10 mph. I would have liked to have gone at least 40 mph.... as that would have been the safe speed to travel.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egerber View Post
It was raining and there was minor slush on the ground. they were causing more problems then solving them!

and i didn't speed. I was going 10 mph. I would have liked to have gone at least 40 mph.... as that would have been the safe speed to travel.
It wasn't raining , it was freezing rain...which is dangerous. Just be lucky they were there....

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

After they eventually turned off, I was able to go 40 with no problem what so ever. They provided no benefit.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
They were going 10MPH the whole stretch... cost me an additional hour to my commute. IS this normal practice? Why didn't they pull off for a few minutes to let a bunch of us through? the roads weren't THAT bad that they needed plowing. Best part = they pulled off right before the big hill on 280.
how do you know they weren't that bad? weren'y you following a bunch of plows and driving on freshly plowed and salted roads? you have cameras to view up ahead that I don't? Please, tell me where I can pick up some for my cars!

NJ - where we complain if they don't plow, and complain if they do. No wonder why the state just waits until the last minute to save some cash - lord knows the people won't be happy either way, so why not?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
After they eventually turned off, I was able to go 40 with no problem what so ever. They provided no benefit.
maybe cause they already plowed and salted those sections? my neighborhoods street had about 1/4 inch of ice built up where plows had passed but not salted.

the freezing rain and slush didn't magically disappear of 80 and 280 my friend, those plows made your commute safer.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM

How come they weren't going a more acceptable speed? I've seen plows/salters do a WONDERFUL job at 40+ mph? AND IM NOT SAYING PLOWS ARE USELESS... I'm saying they were plowing an already plowed road that didn't need to be replowed and causing more problems in the process.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM

38 posts, read 79,198 times
So this is why I was sitting on 280 today for an hour?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
How come they weren't going a more acceptable speed? I've seen plows/salters do a WONDERFUL job at 40+ mph? AND IM NOT SAYING PLOWS ARE USELESS... I'm saying they were plowing an already plowed road that didn't need to be replowed and causing more problems in the process.
Ice is different , snow is easier to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey