Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Personally I would go with the large area rug over hardwood. My wife and I both prefer hardwood floors, but some areas just call for some carpeting as well, so the above solution is a best of both worlds thing. Another thing to consider though is insulation property. You said this is a remodelled attic. In general the carpet will do a much better job insulating the room.
Thanks Goat, we actually went with icynene, spray foam insulation and I am in awe of that stuff. We haven't even installed the baseboard heat yet and the room is almost the same temperature as the rest of the house. Its only been in for a week but I just can't get over it! Highly recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Thanks Goat, we actually went with icynene, spray foam insulation and I am in awe of that stuff. We haven't even installed the baseboard heat yet and the room is almost the same temperature as the rest of the house. Its only been in for a week but I just can't get over it! Highly recommended.
who did you use for that?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
who did you use for that?
We used Natures Choice out of Midland Park. They did a great job, although they didn't take the excess foam with them( and there was like 10 contractor bags full of the stuff!) Basically they spray a ton of foam and then use a saw to trim off the excess. If your getting it done you might want to make sure that the haul away of the excess is included.

Natures Choice Spray Foam Insulation | Home

Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
A) Carpeting is simply disgusting.

B) The 1980's ended 22 years ago.

C) House is less attractive to buyers if it has carpet, especially nasty 5-6 year old carpeting.

All signs point to hardwood. Question though - why do you prefer carpet? To walk on it barefoot? It would skeeve me the hell out to walk around barefoot on a nasty carpet and then get into bed.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

C) House is less attractive to buyers if it has carpet, especially nasty 5-6 year old carpeting.

All signs point to hardwood. Question though - why do you prefer carpet? To walk on it barefoot? It would skeeve me the hell out to walk around barefoot on a nasty carpet and then get into bed.
Carpet is warmer, cozier, and for an upstairs it helps a ton in noise control from people walking around. A lot of new construction is actually putting wall to wall carpet in bedrooms( At least that is what I see on HGTV). Considering we have a baby sleeping downstairs, it would be nice not to wake her up by walking around. Waking a sleeping baby is the top thing on "what not to do" in parenting, more for the sanity of the parent than the effect on the child. That said we are going with the hardwood/area rug/runner combo.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
thanks for the name tdstyles. i'm having an energy audit this weekend.

as for walking around on hardwood....socks and slippers become your best friend if you don't want to disturb much below. also depends on the insulation you have between floors.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

If we rewind the clock a bit everyone was slapping carpet down over real hardwoods for decades before having hardwood came back in vogue. Basically tastes change all the time. Yes, today hardwood is more desirable, so much so that people will buy plastic floors just to get the "look", but if we were talking to people a scant 15-20 years ago, they would be discussing how "house A" was bad because it still hardwoods and would need to be carpeted.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Carpet is warmer, cozier, and for an upstairs it helps a ton in noise control from people walking around. A lot of new construction is actually putting wall to wall carpet in bedrooms( At least that is what I see on HGTV). Considering we have a baby sleeping downstairs, it would be nice not to wake her up by walking around. Waking a sleeping baby is the top thing on "what not to do" in parenting, more for the sanity of the parent than the effect on the child. That said we are going with the hardwood/area rug/runner combo.
ALL of the newer homes in my area (several of which we looked at when shopping) were hardwood downstairs and carpeting upstairs for all the reasons you listed.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,086,426 times
I had wall-to-wall at my last house and hated it.

Our new/old house (1930s Arts & Crafts) has the original hardwood floors throughout the entire house. Seller had them refinished before we settled. We are absolutely loving them! So easy to clean and always looks great!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,171 times
I think only the old ladies house nowdays still have carpet. When i am buying, as soon as I see wall to wall carpet it's a huge minus, they are so nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey