Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,813 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm a resident in East Orange (141 South Harrison if any are familiar) and I'm trying to get out the building. The building is nice but they made alot of promises and haven't really delivered. The electric bill is thru the roof due to a electric heater/ac unit that PSE&G informed me is a electric guzzler. The windows aren't properly seal or it's a draft. I can go on and on. I'm trying to get out ASAP, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
There isn't a quick out for the most part. You signed a contract and are held to it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
If the rent is at market rate they should be able to replace you. Tell the landlord you are expecting financial difficulty and you will stay until they find someone. Maybe try to find them yourself with a Craigslist ad. Breaking the lease based on conditions is tricky at best unless it's pretty bad.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM

38 posts, read 79,219 times
Yup, you're pretty stuck. Best bet is to try to work something out with the landlord.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Read your lease, some do have an "out clause". If not you are responsible for the term of the lease. I was in a really drafty apartment(before I moved), they sell this stuff at Home Depot that you put over the window and it can stop or reduce the draft coming from there. it's like saran wrap that clings to the window frame. It goes on and comes off easy, but you will lose access to the window while it is up. We did it in our place and it really helped. Plus its cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
if you work with the landlord as montclair said, i think that's your best bet.

in the meantime, go to homedepot and buy the plastic that you put over drafty windows to help with your heat.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Many leases have rules stated in them outlineing how to break the lease early. In most cases you are responsible for all rent until your lease end or the apt is re-rented. Many large companies do this very professionally and will do their best to help find a new renter. The problem is that they really dont have to. In the last 2 apts i lived in there was such a high demand that it only took us 3 days for one and 10 days for the other from when i hand delivered the notice of early lease termination to the managment companies to when they found someone willing to move in at the end of the next month. Luckily we always built in a month of overlap so there was time to clean and whetever and take our time without rushing before the new people moved in. Both times I simply had to pay a $100 termination fee and that was it.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,995 times
I also live at indigo 141!! I completely understand the situation with wanting to break the lease!! Indigo 141 lease dose not have an out clause unfortunately! So they may try to hold you for the remainder of rent due. I know they sent a letter out asking to renue leases " if not sighned the lease will be automatically renewed" from my understanding of Nj law that is not legal. You are month to month so if you are in that situation you can move out! If you are still in your original lease maybe try the " my job is relocating me" story. Good luck

Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Document the problems with both video (holding a candle to the window will show if there really is a draft), documentation (a letter from PSE&G), etc. Then send the landlord a registered letter about fixing the issues. If 30days go by without them being fixed send the landlord another registered letter that you will either with hold rent until they are fixed or you would like out of your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey