Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 18,790 times

Advertisements

How do points come into play and does it have anything to do with PMI? If I ahve the 20% to put down how much do I need to have in savings after that as to live with a cushion? For instance a 330k home I need 66k to put down and how much should I have in reserve after that????

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Here is my take. My wife and I just bought a home. We make more money than you both do even with your overtime considered. We purchased in the low to mid 300s. I was qualified for up to a 550k mortgage. Our credit was immaculate. Don't be a fool just because you qualify for something doesn't mean you can afford it. You are rightonin your assessment. 300-375 is where you should be. If your hubby has issue have him dm. Me so I can talk some sense into him.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Here is my take. My wife and I just bought a home. We make more money than you both do even with your overtime considered. We purchased in the low to mid 300s. I was qualified for up to a 550k mortgage. Our credit was immaculate. Don't be a fool just because you qualify for something doesn't mean you can afford it. You are rightonin your assessment. 300-375 is where you should be. If your hubby has issue have him dm. Me so I can talk some sense into him.
I have to agree.

My rule of thumb is to take on no more of a mortgage than you can squeak by on with one income. That way you have a sense of security, can take life's little bumps, put more away for a rainy day while still having some disposable income. Don't forget to keep some money to the side for upkeep and wear and tear of the property too.

If this recession has taught us anything, it should have be never to take our incomes for granted.

Don't be a slave to a house.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM

346 posts, read 786,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm927 View Post
And this is helpful to her how?????
You're right! I was off topic, sorry.

Good luck with your $400,000 home search and $1000 a month property tax in New Jersey.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
You're right! I was off topic, sorry.

Good luck with your $400,000 home search and $1000 a month property tax in New Jersey.
Depends on where you want to live in NJ an what you expect for your $$. OP doesn't seem to have a clue, which is why OP is asking.

What are you doing in Maine? Retiring? Second home? Giving it all up to live off the land?

What's your point? Cheap, desolate and no jobs to be found is a stimulus package in and of itself?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilingualdiva View Post
Thanks for the advice, we are planning on speaking with a broker and taking everything they say very seriously, I have done some checking on the utilities in the area we are looking at and adding fuel expense, car insurance and maintaining as well as food into considration as well, I know we can easily pay 4k a month with mortgage included.
I have 14 years to go before I retire and he has 20.. is age a consideration as well to receiving loans?

No offense, but I am going to be brutally honest here. You have a husband who makes $90,000 plus a lot of overtime. You make 40-50k a year and have declared bankruptcy recently.

I would let your husband make this decision with minimal input from you. Generally, I would lean towards less depending on how long it is going to be before kids (if any) move out of the house.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Property tax in NJ is no joke, its a big factor. Do 2% on home value as your tax for rule of thumb. Obviously when you see an actual place you can find out how much the tax is but rule of thumb can't hurt. Just so you can be prepared.

For example, 350k place in Edgewater, NJ will run you about 500-600 bucks a month on property tax (6-7k/yr). This doesn't mean every unit around that range pays that much so you shouldn't expect it since older condos are obviously lower and units that have re-assessed tax and maybe came out lower. But this will give you an idea of what kind of range you are looking at.

As crazy as it is, if I put down 100k and get mortgage of 250k@ 4.5% for 30yr. No PMI...I'm looking at around 1100/monthly mortgage + 500-600/mo tax. That's right about 45% of my mortgage will equal how much taxes I gotta pay.

I really hope you do consider the fact that if one of you loose your jobs. Or if OT stops coming through... You can kiss your 400k home goodbye and you'll be facing some very tough decisions very quickly.

Lastly, I don't know how you guys are financially planning but based on estimates you gave. Sounds like you guys are not putting money into 401k or IRAs. Something to think about if you guys are not doing that. You can borrow money to buy a house and just about everything. But when time comes for retirement, no one will lend you money so you can retire unless you have very large collateral of some sort...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Property tax in NJ is no joke, its a big factor. Do 2% on home value as your tax for rule of thumb. Obviously when you see an actual place you can find out how much the tax is but rule of thumb can't hurt. Just so you can be prepared.

For example, 350k place in Edgewater, NJ will run you about 500-600 bucks a month on property tax (6-7k/yr). This doesn't mean every unit around that range pays that much so you shouldn't expect it since older condos are obviously lower and units that have re-assessed tax and maybe came out lower. But this will give you an idea of what kind of range you are looking at.

As crazy as it is, if I put down 100k and get mortgage of 250k@ 4.5% for 30yr. No PMI...I'm looking at around 1100/monthly mortgage + 500-600/mo tax. That's right about 45% of my mortgage will equal how much taxes I gotta pay.

I really hope you do consider the fact that if one of you loose your jobs. Or if OT stops coming through... You can kiss your 400k home goodbye and you'll be facing some very tough decisions very quickly.

Lastly, I don't know how you guys are financially planning but based on estimates you gave. Sounds like you guys are not putting money into 401k or IRAs. Something to think about if you guys are not doing that. You can borrow money to buy a house and just about everything. But when time comes for retirement, no one will lend you money so you can retire unless you have very large collateral of some sort...
I agree with most of what you said but a house can serve as an annuity of sorts. By the time you retire you should have almost paid off your mortgage so essentially that does become a form of savings account. While I don't recommend a reverse annuity mortgage, it is an option for those who choose to make their house a primary vehicle for saving for retirement. Of course it's unlikely that $500,000+ standard appreciation of 2% annually will be enough for 2 people to retire on but it is close to $900,000.

as any investment advisor will tell you you need a good balance, a house is a good start but not at the complete elimination of other vehicles.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
It's a great time for a first-time homebuyer...buy low, sell high eventually. Therefore, I'd buy a "medium" house...affordable but not a starter home you'd want to be out of in 7yrs (the 7-itch). That is because the market may take longer than that to recover.

I agree with buying what you can comfortably afford on ONE income. So you have a cushion with the other income; and retirement savings.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM

13 posts, read 18,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You may want to post this in the mortgage forum.
thanks for the advice ...have done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey