Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

23 posts, read 59,017 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does NJ still use X band radar guns?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
There are many still in service. Newer models are manly K or Ka. A few are still available in X, K or Ka.
The higher frequency K and Ka use smaller antennas making them more popular.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
The state troopers no longer use X-band, however older guns are still in the hands of various localities. Keep in mind though that LIDAR is in widespread usage, and occasionally you will run into VASCAR and/or good old fashioned pacing.

Keep in mind there is also a chance that X-band could be revived if manufacturers of radar detectors begin to neglect it in their designs. Everything old is new again as they say.

The bottom line is there is no technology to keep you safe. The best tool is your eyes and your attitude. Remaining alert to the behavior of your fellow motorists is the best warning of impending enforcement.

And, never speed on local roads, because that's just dangerous and that's just dumb.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
If you keep your wits about you, you dont need a radar detector.

I rarely ever follow the recommendation of the little white signs. Too distracting, lol. While im trying to be funny, there is some truth to that statement. I go with the flow, never going MUCH faster than traffic around me and rarely if ever going slower. Knock on wood Ive been ticket free for about 10 years now. If you drive the same roads all the time you will eventually know where there are possibilities for police to hide. These days with the amount of unmarked cars they have at their disposal many of them dont hide at all. Simply pull over to the side of the road in plain sight and wait.

As Marc says, pay attention to your surroundings, and to what other drivers are reacting to. Keep similar pace to traffic, if everyone is consistantly doing 65-70 (even in a 50-55mph zone -like the GSP) its rare that any of them will get pulled over. Never stay in the left lane longer then you have to. If you are not actively overtaking slower traffic you will stick out and cause attention to be paid to you. Dont switch lanes more then is absolutely necessary. Again the attention thing. If there IS a cop with a good view and he sees you weaving, whether your speeding or not he/she may decide to take an interest in you, run your plates, whatever. The more you blend in the less likely you will ever have a problem.

If you see a cop pull up next to you, look at them, acknowledge them, maybe smile or wave (unless they are staring back at you with a scowl, then you may have something to worry about. lol) Ignoring a cop on purpose is a way to get them to pay attention to you as well. Some cops that have been around a long while get a sort of spidey sence about these things. While you are not supposed to be pulled over for no reason there is always the grey fuzzy area in the law in regards to acting suspicious or whetever the cop can make up to justify checking you out.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
One day I was driving on a fairly empty highway in NY and a cop car entered the highway a short distance in front of me and stayed in the right lane doing the speed limit. There was 1 car in front of me, between me and the cop car. The idiot in front of me decides the cop is driving too slow and proceeds to pass him. He was immediately pulled over. How dumb can people be?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times
They are using guns, that my detector does not recognize. Not that I am speeding, just bought this detector in a garage sale for $5 and when I noticed the cops having set up with the laser gun in the oncoming lane, decided to turn around and test my detector, Nothing, not a beep or red light. I even turned around and passed them again to be sure. So don't rely on a detector, do what others above recommended.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
If you keep your wits about you, you dont need a radar detector.

I rarely ever follow the recommendation of the little white signs. Too distracting, lol. While im trying to be funny, there is some truth to that statement. I go with the flow, never going MUCH faster than traffic around me and rarely if ever going slower. Knock on wood Ive been ticket free for about 10 years now. If you drive the same roads all the time you will eventually know where there are possibilities for police to hide. These days with the amount of unmarked cars they have at their disposal many of them dont hide at all. Simply pull over to the side of the road in plain sight and wait.

As Marc says, pay attention to your surroundings, and to what other drivers are reacting to. Keep similar pace to traffic, if everyone is consistantly doing 65-70 (even in a 50-55mph zone -like the GSP) its rare that any of them will get pulled over. Never stay in the left lane longer then you have to. If you are not actively overtaking slower traffic you will stick out and cause attention to be paid to you. Dont switch lanes more then is absolutely necessary. Again the attention thing. If there IS a cop with a good view and he sees you weaving, whether your speeding or not he/she may decide to take an interest in you, run your plates, whatever. The more you blend in the less likely you will ever have a problem.

If you see a cop pull up next to you, look at them, acknowledge them, maybe smile or wave (unless they are staring back at you with a scowl, then you may have something to worry about. lol) Ignoring a cop on purpose is a way to get them to pay attention to you as well. Some cops that have been around a long while get a sort of spidey sence about these things. While you are not supposed to be pulled over for no reason there is always the grey fuzzy area in the law in regards to acting suspicious or whetever the cop can make up to justify checking you out.
boy, i wish 75% of the people on the road in this state would read this.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
also a chance that X-band could be revived
A lot of those frequencies are being taken over by other communications needs. Plus the performance is not up to the higher frequency units. The antennas were two to three times larger than then newer units.

In thirty years I've never seen a VASCAR unit in NJ. They are real old school technology. One huge benefit of the current units is the harrow focus of the beams allowing a much narrower time. Single lane times are now possible. Plus there is much intergration with the other onboard systems such as the GPS, video and even the vehicle's dash. Everytime today can be tied together using onboard networks and simple USB connections.

Thirty years ago I was happy to have an AM radio in the car......

Quote:
If there IS a cop with a good view and he sees you weaving, whether your speeding or not he/she may decide to take an interest in you

Absolutely. The speeder is not noticed if operating safely. 10 over isn't an issue in light traffic. It's the idiot who operates in a manner outside of the current flow of traffic. Constant unsafe lane changes, tailgating can cause more havoc than increased speed in some cases. Of course I've seen idiots at 3am fly down Rt. 3 at 85 just in time to find out that the 50mph zone was there for a reason. The sharp turn at the ned of the road. I couldn't believe how far a Camaro could fly when it hit the embankment. Nor how far a body could fly when ejected from the vehicle.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

36 posts, read 88,257 times
They try everything!! last week I was on the way home from my girlfriends house and there was a Black Dodge Charger with tinted windows sitting on the side of the road with his four ways on trying to look like he was broken donwn on the GSP!

If you speed on the GSP on NJTP or really any highway in New Jersy look out for the Chargers the dark colored ones. The charcol grey Dodge Durango is an unmarked NJSP car. Think there maybe a silver one too, it's like a 2008 or so.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
They are using guns, that my detector does not recognize. Not that I am speeding, just bought this detector in a garage sale for $5 and when I noticed the cops having set up with the laser gun in the oncoming lane, decided to turn around and test my detector, Nothing, not a beep or red light. I even turned around and passed them again to be sure. So don't rely on a detector, do what others above recommended.
Lol relying on a $5 detector wasn't smart either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey