Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Make everybody work for 10 bucks an hour.
im pretty sure they are allowed to not take the job if they arent satisfied with the pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Bingo- This is my point. This is peoples thinking. Oh i went to college and they didn't. Talking about the country going down the tubes. Many blue collar jobs that people have made careers out of are being thrown away. I made my mark in life so it doesn't effect me. Maybe it's me, i don't know. They work around the clock, holidays, smell fumes all day, dodge crazy drivers, where a uniform, weather, most booths are nowhere by their house and so forth. I get it they didn't go to college so they are only worth 10 bucks. Give the illegals a 100 bucks a day, and give a hard working blue collar american worker 80 a day, greed at it's finest.

Arguments like this are silly, emotional, and without any facts at all. First, I never said that any person is or isn't worth anything. I never said that because they didn't go to cellege they should get paid less. I never talked about the people who might take the job, I talked about the job requirements. I never said pay illegals $100 a day and toll takers less. I happen to be all for throwing the illegals out of the country every time we find them here, and fining heavily anyone who knowingly hires an illegal. But that's a different thread. You seem to be confused, so I'll restate my opinions on the matter here.

As with ALL jobs in a capitalist economy, the job should be opened up to whomever wants the job, and the employer, in this case a contractor for the state of NJ, should be free to fill the job at the lowest salary at which it can get qualified people. Collecting money at a toll both is not a particularly demanding dob, either mentally or physically. Anyone with an eighth grade education can do it. As a result, there are many people qualified to do the job, so filling the positions shouldn't be difficult, even at what most of us would consider too low a wage to support a family. If the offered wage does not generate enough qualified applicants, then the offer will have to be increased. As a comparison, you suggested that sanitation workers get paid the same as toll collectors. If you could manage to fill those jobs with qualified people at that rate, great, but I don't believe you could. That job is far more demanding, physically, and more onerous and unpleasant as well. The people who could effectively perform the dities required of a trash collector likely could find other employment, as they have skills or physical attributes that are in higher demand, and therefore can earn a higher wage.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
It seems some people think every single job should pay enough to support a family on. I can't imagine how that would ever work out.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Garbage collectors are like prize fighters. They can't do that job their whole life because it takes a toll on the body and they will suffer for it when they are older. That's why they should get higher pay.

There are plenty of people working in Wallmart and Burger king, working much harder than toll collectors but making less than 10 dollars.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM

220 posts, read 701,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There are plenty of people working in Wallmart and Burger king, working much harder than toll collectors but making less than 10 dollars.
Agreed..

$321,000 a year minimum for each toll collector.. if you disagree you are delusional.. end sarcasm

Audit: Excessive Perks for NJ Turnpike Employees (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/audit-excessive-perks-for-nj-turnpike-employees-20101019-apx - broken link)

Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
Agreed..

$321,000 a year minimum for each toll collector.. if you disagree you are delusional.. end sarcasm

Audit: Excessive Perks for NJ Turnpike Employees (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/audit-excessive-perks-for-nj-turnpike-employees-20101019-apx - broken link)
Come on now. That was 1 payout in 2008 to a property manager working for the turnpike not a toll collector. HE WAS A POLITICAL APPOINTEE. Not a stiff in the lanes. I agree they make to much but to drop them to 10 bucks and hour BECAUSE it's contract negotiations is all about repubs busting unions. And yes I am a repub and a union member.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Come on now. That was 1 payout in 2008 to a property manager working for the turnpike not a toll collector. HE WAS A POLITICAL APPOINTEE. Not a stiff in the lanes. I agree they make to much but to drop them to 10 bucks and hour BECAUSE it's contract negotiations is all about repubs busting unions. And yes I am a repub and a union member.

Answer this;

If there are people qualified to do this job, who are willing to take $10/hour to do it, why do you think there should be some sort of mandate to pay more?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
i know someone that makes 70k as a toll collector and that is disgusting when other people in tougher jobs get much less and he makes a ton of overtime.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
maybe the toll collectors who are unhappy with their pay should get on line at the 7-11 with the illegals so they can make $100/day...cash.
But, no, they want to sit on their fat a$% all day, give the people paying their salaries dirty looks and occasionally, when they are having a particularly bad day, throw the change into the car of the tax payer.
Go ahead and give them $15 buck/hr, but pull most benefits and NO PENSION.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
It's a dying occupation anyway. All-electronic tolling is on its way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey