Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My point was made. And, obviously, it ruffled a few feathers because a handful (including yourself) have been insistent on headbeating the joys of handing your money over to a realtor.

So let's finally end the madness.

You don't need a realtor to buy or sell a house - FACT

Everything else regarding this issue is subjective.
Didn't ruffle my feathers. I have no dog in this fight. Some people see the benefit. You don't see the benefit. But you take it to a ridiculous level where any possible point you may have had gets lost in your wacko thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
NJ toll collectors consider concessions (6) OK it looks like the state got major concessions from the union and maybe they could still save 800 middle class jobs.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
NJ toll collectors consider concessions (6) OK it looks like the state got major concessions from the union and maybe they could still save 800 middle class jobs.
How does this help in the long term? If we can get along with 800 less workers, then we should have 800 less workers. Their contract is up in a couple of years or so. We would just get all of these concessions then.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
How does this help in the long term? If we can get along with 800 less workers, then we should have 800 less workers. Their contract is up in a couple of years or so. We would just get all of these concessions then.
It helps because the Authority will save 15 million because their contract is up now. And you don't have 800 people on the unemployment and foreclosure lines. Just my opinion. I know, I know- most people would love to see them lose their houses and jobs and join the unemployed ranks because they work for a govt agency.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I know, I know- most people would love to see them lose their houses and jobs and join the unemployed ranks because they work for a govt agency.
And that is really sad because it's true.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
It is a far better situation to negotiate a real deal that benefits both parties in good faith. The union balked, the state put out a RFP that scared the crap out of them. Now the union is willing to talk and make it work.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It is a far better situation to negotiate a real deal that benefits both parties in good faith. The union balked, the state put out a RFP that scared the crap out of them. Now the union is willing to talk and make it work.
Bingo- that seems like a decent way to negotiate. It's not one sided and maybe the jobs could be saved with lower salaries and bennies.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
one thing id be concerned about would be that the government doesnt make long term promises to compensate for short term cuts. as long as the government and union can come to an agreement that works long term (through their retirement and all other retirements) then its a good thing. i have my doubts that they will do things right. one of the reasons we are in this mess is that short term union concessions were made side by side with long term promises that arent sustainable.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
How bout the Unions open up their books and let everybody see how much is in their pension funds.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing id be concerned about would be that the government doesnt make long term promises to compensate for short term cuts. as long as the government and union can come to an agreement that works long term (through their retirement and all other retirements) then its a good thing. i have my doubts that they will do things right. one of the reasons we are in this mess is that short term union concessions were made side by side with long term promises that arent sustainable.
Exactly. No more, hey you may only make $50k, but give us 25 years and you'll make $50k for life and have full health benefits. It was these types of concessions that sank the auto industry and are killing our states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey