Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No...If I want to buy YOUR house and you enlisted a realtor... I have to go through them, no?

And they get a percentage for what? And who pays that percentage?

So, if I want THAT house, I have two options.

1 - talk directly with the owner and see if I can leverage

or

2 - fall in love with another house

so.....if the owner doesn't want to budge, how do I have the option to not deal with the realtors service?

If you want to get really serious about it...you don't even need a bank. You can work a loan directly with the homeowner. Of course, that would probably happen only in the rarest of circumstances (i.e. Family)... But it is 100% legal.

Realtors (as well as many other service jobs) are as useless as toll collectors.
TO YOU! that's the point. this can be said about many many professions also. some people will do something themselves, and some hire someone to do it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
We've already established you don't need a realtor. But many people want one.
we also don't need mechanics do we? learn how to fix your own car. i know how to fix mine. haha

Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, its funny the silly things people say when they are trying to support a bad position. its not my job to set their compensation, but realistically they are basically cashiers and i believe in the private sector cashiers are typically minimum wage jobs.
wal-mart cashiers in kearny make around $9.50/hr to start.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Gee....what led you to think I've never owned a home?? Maybe it was the part where I clearly stated how I never took on a mortgage.... o_O

No, I don't have a house... What does that mean? Nothing.

Everybody knows somebody that has a mortgage. My father has several, my mother has two, my uncle is an appraiser, my sister-in law is a realtor!

When I was flirting with the idea of buying a home....ANYBODY who was close to me advised me to not even bother with a realtor. And yes, many suggested FSBO.

Thanks for your long winded opinion.... I am totally and completely indifferent to your buying experience.. And after that rant it doesn't change the fact that you could have done all of that without one.

Which was the main argument. A realtor is a job with very little utility. You using one and having nothing but rave reviews about it does not change that fact.

And realtors, EVEN IF IT WAS INDIRECTLY, facilitated and capitalized off the housing bubble.
honestly, realtor's and wall street analysts/brokers are about equivalent. you could do without either of them if you wanted to. and the wall streeters capitalized off the housing bubble far more than realtors did.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
wal-mart cashiers in kearny make around $9.50/hr to start.
location makes a difference. with a large low end labor pool (nyc) you would probably find the cashiers pretty close to 7.25 an hour. but you go further north to westchester and you will probably have to go a couple of bucks higher.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
location makes a difference. with a large low end labor pool (nyc) you would probably find the cashiers pretty close to 7.25 an hour. but you go further north to westchester and you will probably have to go a couple of bucks higher.
i'm fairly certain most "cashiers" in NYC make more than min wage. probably not fast-food joints and such, but at many retail stores, typically the wages are higher than min-wage. even at someplace like a blockbuster is usually a buck or so above min wage. sure, more labor pool, but also higher cost of living so unless people are stupid, they'd never really accept a job for $7.25/hr in most of NYC.

i was just pointing out though, walmart cashiers make well above min wage...and are scattered all along the area where nj toll collectors would be working. don't forget, you also need to pay a toll collector enough to make it worth their time, and reduce their temptation to pocket some of that cash. so, sure, it's low skilled, but there's risk in any cash job, so you have to account for those things. is $60k fair? most certainly not, unless it's a seasoned veteran maybe that's well-trusted and has made their career there...you're gonna have some people that make "too much" because they've been there for 20 years and got the raises...i think $10-$15/hr is fair for starting wages.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
but also higher cost of living so unless people are stupid, they'd never really accept a job for $7.25/hr in most of NYC.
nyc is a welfare city for people at that low income. you think nyc is desperate for cash because the government needs it to plow the snow? i think you would be very surprised to know how many people in nyc are making minimum wage.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
nyc is a welfare city for people at that low income. you think nyc is desperate for cash because the government needs it to plow the snow? i think you would be very surprised to know how many people in nyc are making minimum wage.
i personally know people who have done fine in nyc with $25-$30k annual income. it's not fun, but it's not a welfare wage either. usually just have to live modestly and maybe have a second part time job.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
My point was made. And, obviously, it ruffled a few feathers because a handful (including yourself) have been insistent on headbeating the joys of handing your money over to a realtor.

So let's finally end the madness.

You don't need a realtor to buy or sell a house - FACT

Everything else regarding this issue is subjective.
It's silly to be even having this "conversation" with you; someone who has never even bought a house. The fact is, you don't even know what you don't know about purchasing property.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
i personally know people who have done fine in nyc with $25-$30k annual income. it's not fun, but it's not a welfare wage either. usually just have to live modestly and maybe have a second part time job.
25-30k is much more than many new york residents earn. im having a little trouble finding a good number, but i believe you would be very surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey